Emory ($$) vs. UNC vs. waiting on Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PledgeGarcia

Emory ($$) vs. UNC vs. waiting on Vandy

Postby PledgeGarcia » Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 am

First and foremost, I do not know what kind of law I want to practice nor the region in which I'd like to work. However I am from metro ATL originally and wouldn't be opposed to working in a larger city in the South....I suppose that means ATL in most cases. Yet id like to leave open the possibility of something more glamorous like NYC or Chicago?

Anyway, I have $60k to Emory and was set to enroll but recently got off the waitlist at Carolina, my father's alma mater and my dream school when it came time to apply for college. I'm OOS so the tuition would be costly, but my family is willing to contribute around $20k per year so that will help significantly. The rest is up to me...so I'll be taking out loans.

To make things more confusing, I recently got a call from my interviewer at Vandy, where I am on the WL, to gauge my interest in the school. I'd like to think that an offer could be forthcoming??

Next Emory deposit ($500) is due June 1st and the UNC deposit of $250 is due May 29th....so I've got some decisions to make. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

CanadianWolf

Re: Emory ($$) vs. UNC vs. waiting on Vandy

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 23, 2012 7:37 am

Deposit at either Emory or UNC while waiting on Vanderbilt.

If a Vanderbilt offer arrives, you should be able to negotiate a higher scholarship from Emory. But you need to deposit at one of your current options prior to their deadlines. One strategy is to deposit at UNC hoping that Emory will respond with a higher scholarship offer. Another option is to deposit at Emory so that you have a reason to ask Vanderbilt for money (since Emory has offered) while also seeking a larger Emory scholarship due to your Vanderbilt acceptance.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 am

I'd deposit at Emory due to having a smaller financial burden on your family (if I read that correctly). Also, UNC's job placement has been hit a lot harder than other T1s from looking at released employment data.

Deposit at Emory (for the scholly and slightly better job prospects) and cross your fingers for Vandy.

Good luck sir.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:39 am

togepi wrote:I'd deposit at Emory due to having a smaller financial burden on your family (if I read that correctly). Also, UNC's job placement has been hit a lot harder than other T1s from looking at released employment data.

Deposit at Emory (for the scholly and slightly better job prospects) and cross your fingers for Vandy.

Good luck sir.

This. Also, Vandy isn't worth $60k more than Emory - so if they pull you off the waitlist but don't offer you a scholarship, you should probably stick with Emory.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
togepi wrote:I'd deposit at Emory due to having a smaller financial burden on your family (if I read that correctly). Also, UNC's job placement has been hit a lot harder than other T1s from looking at released employment data.

Good luck sir.

This. Also, Vandy isn't worth $60k more than Emory - so if they pull you off the waitlist but don't offer you a scholarship, you should probably stick with Emory.

The line is a bit blurry with that 60k, but I think Emory would be a little safer since both schools send a decent portion of grads to NYC and DC. But Emory is located in a better setting. Top 15% at either would give you a decent shot at NYC.

flem

Postby flem » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
This. Also, Vandy isn't worth $60k more than Emory

Yes it is. Especially when this dude is already taking on 150K+ debt from Emory, which is egregiously terrible.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am

See if your parents would be willing to contribute 20k per year towards Emory. It's far and away the better deal over UNC, and definitely worth it if you basically have 40k per year covered.

PledgeGarcia

Postby PledgeGarcia » Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 am

flem wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Yes it is. Especially when this dude is already taking on 150K+ debt from Emory, which is egregiously terrible.

As I stated in my original post, my family is contributing $20k per year. Add that to my scholarship and tuition is nearly paid for. I'd basically be taking out a loan for living and books.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 am

PledgeGarcia wrote:
flem wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

As I stated in my original post, my family is contributing $20k per year. Add that to my scholarship and tuition is nearly paid for. I'd basically be taking out a loan for living and books.

Then deposit that shit to Emory unless Vandy comes through. Although UNC has a nice ring to it, their employment is kind of shitty for lawl school.

flem

Postby flem » Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am

togepi wrote:
Then deposit that shit to Emory unless Vandy comes through. Although UNC has a nice ring to it, their employment is kind of shitty for lawl school.

TCR

IMO Vandy is worth 60K more than Emory though, depending on your career goals of course.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:06 am

flem wrote:
togepi wrote:

TCR

IMO Vandy is worth 60K more than Emory though, depending on your career goals of course.

I suppose we can disagree. Regardless of how much better Vandy may be, it's still certainly not GTown or Cornell (which, in my opinion, are worth $60k more than Emory).

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
flem wrote:
togepi wrote:

TCR

I suppose we can disagree. Regardless of how much better Vandy may be, it's still certainly not GTown or Cornell (which, in my opinion, are worth $60k more than Emory).

Vandy outplaced both GULC and Cornell in the latest NALP survey.

OP - I strongly considered UNC but Emory is the better choice with the scholarship you have.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am

aca0260 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
flem wrote:
togepi wrote:

TCR

Vandy outplaced both GULC and Cornell in the latest NALP survey.

OP - I strongly considered UNC but Emory is the better choice with the scholarship you have.

NM on Vandy vs GULC/Cornell. Old

PledgeGarcia

Postby PledgeGarcia » Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am

I really appreciate all of the help. In a perfect world, I'd take a year off, retake the LSAT, and apply again in hopes of getting T14. But it's not really an option in my family...

I think my boyhood obsession with everything Tar Heel related is skewing things just a bit in terms of weighing UNC vs Emory. But from the responses thus far, its clear that Emory is the better choice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

FWIW, UNC definitely has a better football team than does Emory. :D

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 11:43 am

flem wrote:
togepi wrote:

TCR

Yeah. I'd deposit at Emory and go to Vandy if you get in off the WL. Parental help is nice.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 pm

flem wrote:
togepi wrote:

TCR

I think so too. I think 100k+ is where I'd start to draw the line. In the grand scheme of employment and a career, 60k is a lot, but not that much all things considered in this situation.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Deposit Emory and wait for Vandy. I think Emory is much better than UNC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”