Wisconsin-Madison or Wake Forest($)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
junyong1990

Wisconsin-Madison or Wake Forest($)?

Postby junyong1990 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

I just got off waitlist from wake law and received $15,000 per year. I'm probably going to Wisconsin as a sticker(they said I'll hear from the financial aid office before July).

I'm an international student so my concerns may be a bit different. I decide to work in the US for 2 or 3 years after graduation and then I'll leave for other countries. So I will take the schools' job prospects, as well as their national/international reputation(which makes rankings matter).

In my perspective, Wisconsin has a better reputation than wake forest(correct me if I'm wrong). It has higher rankings and the university is doing well in general. On the other hand, my friend in New York said she never heard of wake forest. However, Wisconsin is in the midwest and I'm not sure if foreigners are welcomed there. Anyway, I think I might leave either region after graduation because I think big cities will have more opportunities for foreigners.

One more question is that I accepted the Wisconsin admission. Is it ok that I just tell them I'm not going next fall if I choose wake forest instead?

I need to submit my first deposit by 5/24 so there isn't much time for me to consider. Any kind of information would be appreciated, campus life, career, city life, professors, etc.

annet

Re: Wisconsin-Madison or Wake Forest($)?

Postby annet » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 am

junyong1990 wrote:...However, Wisconsin is in the midwest and I'm not sure if foreigners are welcomed there. Anyway, I think I might leave either region after graduation because I think big cities will have more opportunities for foreigners. ...

I'm a 0L so I can't speak to your other concerns, but I grew up in Madison and have moved back and am living there now. Don't worry at all about living in Madison as a foreigner. In addition to being a very, very liberal city there is a huge foreign-born population. Some have chosen to immigrate and settle in Madison (to teach at the University, work at Epic/Promega, or just because they like the city) and others are just here for the University. The city is very welcoming and, if you don't mind the winter, you'll have a great time. But you are correct that you will find more opportunities in Chicago/New York/etc. after graduation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”