Which is better option

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GA State vs "better" school

GA State Sticker (Less than 20k/ year)
6%
T-14 Sticker
69%
Any school that would offer full ride
3%
Emory
6%
UGA
6%
Something else?
11%

Total votes: 35

onewhiteword

Which is better option

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Assuming I get accepted and get these options.

Note: I would like to practice in GA, but I'm open to the possibility of moving. Moving would be a tough proposition, since I have business and family obligations here. Going to school out of state is a viable option though.

3.45 undergrad GPA, taking LSAT in October. GPA might go up to 3.54 after my last semester this Fall.

dextermorgan

Re: Which is better option

Postby dextermorgan » Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm

A real LSAT score will make all the difference in the answer.

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 pm

I suppose so. Just wanted some feedback that assumes I can get into what is listed.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

onewhiteword wrote:Assuming I get accepted and get these options.

Note: I would like to practice in GA, but I'm open to the possibility of moving. Moving would be a tough proposition, since I have business and family obligations here. Going to school out of state is a viable option though.

3.45 undergrad GPA, taking LSAT in October. GPA might go up to 3.54 after my last semester this Fall.

Many times, a lower ranked school that offers a full ride can trump a higher ranked school, but it depends on the relative differences in ranking, employment prospects, location, etc. The options you have listed in your poll cannot be answered without a lot more information. Making the T14 is more important than ever in this economy, because even graduates from those schools have seen dips in their employment prospects.

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm new here to TLS, so sorry if I didn't include all the info needed. What info would help get me more advice? I did say in the post we could assume some things.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 pm

What kind of work do you want to do? Which is more important to you: Having low debt or pure job prospects?

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 pm

blurbz wrote:What kind of work do you want to do? Which is more important to you: Having low debt or pure job prospects?

I'm not risk averse/debt averse, but it has to make some financial sense. Otherwise low debt is the obvious choice.

As to what kink of work, I'm not sure how I'd like to practice law. I have enjoyed the analytical nature of Philosophy, and solving problems is pretty fun. There's no area of law that I'm opposed to. I'm hoping to find my direction toward a preferred area during law school.

acw1213

Postby acw1213 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Have you taken a practice LSAT or even a diagnostic yet? Your range of schools and the potential scholarship money you'll earn is entirely dependent on your score.

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Not yet, I just ordered a bunch from LSAC and have a couple books I'm using. I'm hoping to take a diagnostic the end of this week to see how I'd do. Not really looking forward to the logic games. :(

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:41 pm

onewhiteword wrote:Not yet, I just ordered a bunch from LSAC and have a couple books I'm using. I'm hoping to take a diagnostic the end of this week to see how I'd do. Not really looking forward to the logic games. :(

Well let us know when you have some idea where you are. Then we'll tell you to go study and come back after you take the test for real.

Good luck!

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 pm

blurbz wrote:
onewhiteword wrote:Not yet, I just ordered a bunch from LSAC and have a couple books I'm using. I'm hoping to take a diagnostic the end of this week to see how I'd do. Not really looking forward to the logic games. :(

Well let us know when you have some idea where you are. Then we'll tell you to go study and come back after you take the test for real.

Good luck!

Thanks

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Yep. Sorry--It's just hard to know what to say without scholarship amounts or at least an lsat so we can estimate scholarships. My advice will probably be to take a 14 at sticker unless you have a full ride at Georgia State (with no stips) and are willing/happy to stay in the area.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 am

If you want Atlanta, Emory and UGA are basically peers. Emory isn't worth sticker price. Both trump Georgia State, where you'd have to finish top 10%ish if you want BigLaw, and above median if you want any sort of legal job. Vandy trumps all of them for ATL placement. T14 trumps Vandy.

Come back with a real LSAT score.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 11:30 am

No

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 12:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:

No

This response is really helpful. Please elaborate.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

onewhiteword wrote:This response is really helpful. Please elaborate.

flem wrote:Come back with a real LSAT score.

also

grizz wrote:enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 pm

onewhiteword wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

No

Not tryna answer hypos breh

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
onewhiteword wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

No

Not tryna answer hypos breh

So whya on the tread? I asked the hypo to get some advice, not to have the value of hypotheticals debated.

Thanks to all who are here to help.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 pm

onewhiteword wrote:So whya on the tread? I asked the hypo to get some advice, not to have the value of hypotheticals debated.

Because this is a forum for students to ask which law schools they should actually attend? You know, which they are admitted or at the very least, waitlisted?

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 pm

flem wrote:
onewhiteword wrote:So whya on the tread? I asked the hypo to get some advice, not to have the value of hypotheticals debated.

Because this is a forum for students to ask which law schools they should actually attend? You know, which they are admitted or at the very least, waitlisted?

Oh, I didn't know, sorry. I've seen many hypotheticals, and it's all I have for now. So, where can I go post and not bother anyone or get short unclear answers?

I thought the "Choosing a Law School" would be the best place. I didn't know you had to be "admitted or waitlisted" to post here, guess I missed the sticky.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 pm

onewhiteword wrote:
flem wrote:

Oh, I didn't know, sorry. I've seen many hypotheticals, and it's all I have for now. So, where can I go post and not bother anyone or get short unclear answers?

I thought the "Choosing a Law School" would be the best place. I didn't know you had to be "admitted or waitlisted" to post here, guess I missed the sticky.

choosing - present participle of choose (Verb)
Verb:

Pick out or select (someone or something) as being the best or most appropriate of two or more alternatives.
Decide on a course of action, typically after rejecting alternatives: "he chose to go".

Go study for the LSAT, breh

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
onewhiteword wrote:
flem wrote:

choosing - present participle of choose (Verb)
Verb:

Pick out or select (someone or something) as being the best or most appropriate of two or more alternatives.
Decide on a course of action, typically after rejecting alternatives: "he chose to go".

Go study for the LSAT, breh

Thanks, I'm studying for it now, as I've said.

As for the English lesson, what's with that? Choosing may take place in an instant or over many days, weeks, or months. I'm not sure how your post relates to my question outside of "Go study the LSAT". If you were trying to help, thanks.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Choosing requires you having options, you have none at the moment. Use the search function to figure out various rank/money arguments, no need making your own thread to clog TLS.

The reason is pisses so many people off is choosing is a based on so many factors (risk averse/neutral, location, ties, career choices, biglaw or bust, etc.) that just posting random hypos helps no one.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Choosing requires you having options, you have none at the moment. Use the search function to figure out various rank/money arguments, no need making your own thread to clog TLS.

The reason is pisses so many people off is choosing is a based on so many factors (risk averse/neutral, location, ties, career choices, biglaw or bust, etc.) that just posting random hypos helps no one.

This

Return to “Choosing a Law School”