Boston College Vs. Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
indecision2015

Boston College Vs. Fordham

Postby indecision2015 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm

For the purposes of the thread, consider both at sticker.

GO!

dingbat

Re: Boston College Vs. Fordham

Postby dingbat » Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm

indecision2015 wrote:For the purposes of the thread, consider both at sticker.

GO!
If you want to work in Boston, go to BC. If you want to work in NY, go to Fordham
They're peer schools and very much equivalent to each other.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 pm

dingbat wrote:

GO!
If you want to work in Boston, go to BC. If you want to work in NY, go to Fordham
They're peer schools and very much equivalent to each other.

Yep.

Where do you want to end up? How much does each cost you?

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Hey, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am currently wondering about this too. I got into BC and I'm WL at Fordham. Everyone says BC for Boston and Fordham for NY, but what about if you want to eventually go somewhere else. Does BC have a better name nationally? And what about for a specialty like IP, which Fordham is ranked 12th and BC isn't even ranked?

Again, I don't mean to hijack this thread, I wasn't sure whether to start a new one or not.

Thanks

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 pm

neither of them travel well outside their respective region.
It's easier to go from BC to New York than from Fordham to Boston, but that has more to do with the NYC market than anything else.
Fordham places about 85% in the greater NY area and another 6% further up and down the atlantic coast
BC places 50-60% in new england and 80-90% up and down the east coast (the majority of those in NYC)

Most people will tell you to ignore the specialty rankings. I know nothing about them, so I can't comment, but think of it practically - there's very little IP work happening in Boston, so naturally BC doesn't rank iro IP

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 am

dingbat wrote:there's very little IP work happening in Boston

This isn't really true. Boston has a pretty solid tech and biotech industry, and the firms in the city do a good bit of work for them.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:

This isn't really true. Boston has a pretty solid tech and biotech industry, and the firms in the city do a good bit of work for them.

Glad to learn I'm wrong - oops

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:

This is true. One walk around MIT's campus and you can see it's peppered with biotech buildings.

Also, neither of these is a good investment at sticker unless your parents are paying for a significant portion.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

This is true. One walk around MIT's campus and you can see it's peppered with biotech buildings.

Also, neither of these is a good investment at sticker unless your parents are paying for a significant portion.

I agree. Neither is worth sticker or anything close to it really. Even if parents are paying its a lot of money that doesn't work out for a significant portion of the class.
That being said they are peer schools on different northeastern regions. So I'd use that as your guide.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 am

Whelp if you're taking out debt to finance it, then neither breh

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Thanks for the info, I guess for me since I'm actually a biomedical engineer hoping to do IP law, BC would be a better place compared to Fordham.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 pm

leafs1315 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Thanks for the info, I guess for me since I'm actually a biomedical engineer hoping to do IP law, BC would be a better place compared to Fordham.

Boston's tech industry notwithstanding, what others have said is true: going to either school at sticker is a very, very risky proposition.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue May 22, 2012 3:19 pm

IP secure brah

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm not really sure what IP secure means.

Also, please excuse my ignorance when it comes to law schools, but doesn't BC have a better name nationally compared to Fordham. I feel that people in the South or Midwest might recognize BC more than Fordham. Is this completely false?

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm

leafs1315 wrote:Also, please excuse my ignorance when it comes to law schools, but doesn't BC have a better name nationally compared to Fordham. I feel that people in the South or Midwest might recognize BC more than Fordham. Is this completely false?

Better name in terms of job placement for employment search? Or "better name" like so your parents can say "my son/daughter goes to BC" so they can impress mouthbreathers at a gated community cocktail party?

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Haha, Both I guess...probably in terms of job placement outside of Boston or NYC

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

leafs1315 wrote:Haha, Both I guess...probably in terms of job placement outside of Boston or NYC

Neither is going to travel far out of their respective regions, if at all. BC for Boston/New England, Fordham for NYC. Neither at sticker if you're debt financing everything.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”