Fordham vs GW ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
top30man

Re: Fordham vs GW ($$)

Postby top30man » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

Wily wrote:Another question:
When Biglaw firms choose SA's or hire for full-time, do they look at undergrad GPA's? Someone from another forum says they do, but I haven't heard this before.

The last few threads on this had mixed results. It seemed that certain very elite firms asked for grades and IP firms or pg's are more likely to ask for grades. I know the firm I work for (lower V100) does not. The majority of firms do not as far as I know.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

ITT tflem takes a crap on MrAnon's chest.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue May 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Wily you're getting sucked in. Fordham at sticker is like GW at sticker: that's a no go if money matters to you (keep in mind that maybe 20% of the students at these schools are rich kids for who the money literally doesn't matter). Personally I'd take Cardozo with a full tuition scholarship over GW with $25K a year if you prefer NYC to DC but at least that's an arguable call. Fordham at sticker over Cardozo for "free" isn't arguable IMO.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 pm

MrAnon wrote:One more thing-- your low GPA tends to scream that you should avoid these schools if not law school entirely. I'm sure there are exceptions but in general people with sub-3.0 GPAs get eaten alive in law school. If you had that much trouble with college, no matter the reason, law school will be a problem. its wonderful that you did well on the LSAT, and sure it shows you have the aptitude for this level of work, but the GPA says don't go down this road.

The problem with this statement is it is made from a general assumption....

Perhaps the OP had struggled with underwater basket weaving and every other easy class and spend seven years in UG partying their butt off and wants to go directly to LS as soon as he/she graduates..... Then, the assumption may well be correct...

Or, perhaps the OP had a 4.0 in Astrophysics until his/her parents were killed in a double homicide and he/she failed all the courses that semester killing the GPA. Perhaps the OP went on to have a 4.0 in their PhD, won a Nobel Prize in physics, was an astronaut at NASA and only wants to go to LS because they retired the shuttle program......

OK, so the latter is unlikely but the fact of the matter is you cannot assume to possibly know the reasons behind a sub 3.0 GPA nor have a clue on the potential of doing well at LS without knowing the whole story.....

Would I pay the prices for either school here? Nope, but then that is MY situation and not the OP. The OP needs to make a reasoned choice as to if he/she wants to be that kind of money against the odds of getting a job that will service that debt.....

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue May 22, 2012 3:43 pm

So GW with $25k a year is also a bad choice? Is that the consensus here?

Sigh, I scored a 174 on my last practice test. If only I can hit that again in three weeks.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Wily wrote:So GW with $25k a year is also a bad choice? Is that the consensus here?

Sigh, I scored a 174 on my last practice test. If only I can hit that again in three weeks.

At a certain point, a shit ton of debt is a shit ton of debt bro. I don't think it's the WORST choice in the world (like Brooklyn at sticker or something) but it's not ideal. Such is the life of a splitter.

Keep studying, hit 172+, enjoy Northwestern.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Wily wrote:So GW with $25k a year is also a bad choice? Is that the consensus here?

With that scholarship you will be over 170k debt by the time that you start paying it back. GW's employment prospects don't justify that kind of debt. If it was around 120k then it starts to become stomachable, imo.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 pm

bk1 wrote:

With that scholarship you will be over 170k debt by the time that you start paying it back. GW's employment prospects don't justify that kind of debt. If it was around 120k then it starts to become stomachable, imo.

Yeah basically this

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue May 22, 2012 5:01 pm

bk1 wrote:

Well, it'll be a lower than that because of contributions from my savings and my parents. Probably around $100k of debt for GW and $175k for Fordham. But thanks for the rough estimate.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Wily wrote:Well, it'll be a lower than that because of contributions from my savings and my parents. Probably around $100k of debt for GW and $175k for Fordham. But thanks for the rough estimate.

100k debt out of GW is manageable. Alternatively you could use your retake to get into a better school and put that 50k+ towards that school. I'm personally ambivalent about whether 200k debt from a T14 versus 100k debt from GW. Some people prefer the T14 some prefer GW in that scenario. What you prefer is up to you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”