Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
labf

New

Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7

Post by labf » Mon May 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Good People of TLS:

I received what I think is a very good scholarship from Loyola, which knocks tuition down to 23k a year. I am keen on attending this school but the scholarship is contingent on a 2.7 annually. Is this an unreasonable GPA? I intend on doing law school right, unlike my first few years of undergrad where I wasn't intellectually curious (i.e. I screwed around). I cannot find any suitable information on a curve or anything to that effect on this school.

My interests are in public interest, litigation. I'd like to be a public defender. I'm not in it to make money or go into corporate law or intellectual property law so I can sue college students for $675 000 in "damages" associated with P2Ping some MP3s. But, of course, I want to minimize debt and have a job that requires a JD and bar passage. International and trade law interests me as well, but again, I will not know until I take classes and study. Anyone have any viewpoints in this regard?

flem

Diamond

Re: Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7

Post by flem » Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Most importantly, what is the curve at Loyola? A 2.7 could be deceptive if they have a very harsh curve.

Additionally, where do you want to practice? Also, do you want to be a public defender or work in litigation? They're two very specific career routes.

labf

New

Post by labf » Mon May 21, 2012 3:48 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Most importantly, what is the curve at Loyola? A 2.7 could be deceptive if they have a very harsh curve.

Additionally, where do you want to practice? Also, do you want to be a public defender or work in litigation? They're two very specific career routes.
Hey what up The Dude?

I am trying to figure out the curve. I cannot find it.

I would want to live in New Orleans. I love it here. I really like Louisiana. Texas is great, but I am not aiming for it. In other words, if a great job in Texas beckons and there is nadda in LA, I would jump right on that.

I do not know what I want to do specifically. Public defense is of interest, but so would private criminal defense. Or working as a prosecutor. I don't know. I feel that I want to immerse myself in this before I declare what I want. I think anyone is fooling themselves if they know as a 0L what they want to do. But I do know I do not want to work for an oil and gas firm taking people's land. But I would love to fight on people's behalf. They say the legal market is shrinking, but I find that odd considering the government is growing/encroaching. Maybe I'm naive.

labf

New

Post by labf » Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 pm

a bump for the ages! anyone with an opinion into this school and/or an opinion into the feasibility of maintaining a minimum 2.7gpa for someone who doesn't plan on dicking around in law school despite living in NOLA?

Thanks.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 pm

labf wrote:a bump for the ages! anyone with an opinion into this school and/or an opinion into the feasibility of maintaining a minimum 2.7gpa for someone who doesn't plan on dicking around in law school despite living in NOLA?

Thanks.
Sent you a PM with the relevant info but here it is!

Top 10%: 3.488
Top 25%: 3.250
Top 33%: 3.178
Top 50%: 3.017
Top 75%: 2.750

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

labf

New

Post by labf » Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 am

justicefishy wrote:
labf wrote:a bump for the ages! anyone with an opinion into this school and/or an opinion into the feasibility of maintaining a minimum 2.7gpa for someone who doesn't plan on dicking around in law school despite living in NOLA?

Thanks.

Great to know! So it shouldn't be too much of an issue if I try.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 am

I mean the scholarship is dece, but you're basically going to an also-ran school in the market. I wouldn't do it. Retake or don't go lil breh.

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 am

You should go, that's a great scholarship and if you truly love what you want to do you'll make it happen :D

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 am

rad lulz wrote:I mean the scholarship is dece, but you're basically going to an also-ran school in the market. I wouldn't do it. Retake or don't go lil breh.
Seriously? What do you propose this guy do ITE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I mean the scholarship is dece, but you're basically going to an also-ran school in the market. I wouldn't do it. Retake or don't go lil breh.
--ImageRemoved--

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 am

rad lulz wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Wow you guys are cynical assholes

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 am

What? I'm saying he should go bro

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 am

OP just go and enjoy mottles and baubles in 3 year, duh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 am

Litigation is pretty easy to get into if you are passionate about it OP

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 am

Also you're not gonna do international law bro. It's not really a thing.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 am

Now you're going to mock him? Where the fuck do you get off?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:18 am

If you want New Orleans, the school is definitely legit for a decent price. If you want to live somewhere else...no. Louisiana is a bit weird. LSU if you want the whole state (loyola is better for NOLA though) and Tulane if you want more out of state options.

Edit: I'm not convinced Tulane is really worth the extra money as NOLA as its prospects don't appear THAT much better for Louisiana as a state. But again, what Tulane does do is let you spread your wings to some other states at least if need be (see Texas).
Last edited by RedBirds2011 on Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Thu May 24, 2012 3:18 am

rad lulz wrote:Also you're not gonna do international law bro. It's not really a thing.
The fuck? So international legal disputes just settle themselves?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 am

CincinnatusND wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also you're not gonna do international law bro. It's not really a thing.
The fuck? So international legal disputes just settle themselves?
lol

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 am

OP, would you have to pay cost of living on top of tuition? COL + 23K a year tuition would be more than I would pay for Loyola's job prospects. If so, I'd retake to get a better scholly at Loyola or possibly a good offer to Tulane.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 am

justicefishy wrote:

Thanks.

Those must be that "at graduation" GPAS (after the standard 1L curve). I know 2 years ago, Loyolas first year gpa median was a 2.67. So, unless they have quietly changed there curve, which I don't think is possible, the first year curve is a B-.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

labf

New

Post by labf » Mon May 28, 2012 12:22 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:If you want New Orleans, the school is definitely legit for a decent price. If you want to live somewhere else...no. Louisiana is a bit weird. LSU if you want the whole state (loyola is better for NOLA though) and Tulane if you want more out of state options.

Edit: I'm not convinced Tulane is really worth the extra money as NOLA as its prospects don't appear THAT much better for Louisiana as a state. But again, what Tulane does do is let you spread your wings to some other states at least if need be (see Texas).
This is the one reason I am reluctant. I do not know if I want to live in Louisiana for a long time. I love NOLA and I loooooooove weird. But I love Texas and I know I would love it there. I got accepted to South Tx College of Law as well as I loooove Houston, and Texas has more population, more cities, more job prospects, more options.

I still need to think about this.
goldenflash19 wrote:OP, would you have to pay cost of living on top of tuition? COL + 23K a year tuition would be more than I would pay for Loyola's job prospects. If so, I'd retake to get a better scholly at Loyola or possibly a good offer to Tulane.
No, no COLA. But I have saved up ~$40 000. The loans where I am from are interests free until 6 months after graduation. Grants are included in those loans.

Define "job prospects". Do you mean finding a legal job in general, such as public interest jobs like public defense or finding a job with big law so I can sue single mothers for $550 000/downloaded MP3? Or take over people's land in imminent domain claims?

If I want to be rich, I'd take the risk adverse route, like becoming an air traffic controller, elevator repairman, miner, etc. I'm not doing this for the money. And if I want to be comfortable, I'd stay with the airline I'm currently working for.

labf

New

Post by labf » Mon May 28, 2012 12:39 pm

I also want to point out that I'm an outsider....from canaduh. I love NOLA but I do not know if it is the best trajectory for finding work so I can settle in the USA. That, and the civil/common law programs... I would hate to take civil law and be locked into LA.

Other choice is South TX College of law.... seems like there is more choice, more opportunity that way.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
justicefishy wrote:

Thanks.

Those must be that "at graduation" GPAS (after the standard 1L curve). I know 2 years ago, Loyolas first year gpa median was a 2.67. So, unless they have quietly changed there curve, which I don't think is possible, the first year curve is a B-.
THERE IS A SCHOOL WITH A B- MEDIAN?!?!!?

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 pm

labf wrote:Define "job prospects". Do you mean finding a legal job in general, such as public interest jobs like public defense or finding a job with big law so I can sue single mothers for $550 000/downloaded MP3? Or take over people's land in imminent domain claims?

If I want to be rich, I'd take the risk adverse route, like becoming an air traffic controller, elevator repairman, miner, etc. I'm not doing this for the money. And if I want to be comfortable, I'd stay with the airline I'm currently working for.
By "job prospects," I mean finding meaningful, full-time legal employment. Check out lawschooltransparency.com for Loyola NOLA. Less than 60% of grads were reported as having full-time legal jobs. None of these jobs are school-funded, but this figure is still disconcerting. I would not take out a lot of loans to go there, especially in light of the fact you don't have ties to the area.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”