BU or UC Hastings? Need to decide by Friday!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onefatbovine

BU or UC Hastings? Need to decide by Friday!

Postby onefatbovine » Mon May 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a weird position, and I need your help! I was all set to attend UC Hastings (sent in my first deposit already), but late last week I was admitted to BU off the wait list. I'm originally from the SF Bay Area and went to undergrad close by. However, living and working on the East Coast has always been something I've wanted to do (at least temporarily).

I received $15k/yr for all 3 years from BU (no stips) and no scholly from Hastings, though I did receive $8k in need-based aid for the first year (not sure what it would be for subsequent years). All signs say I should choose BU over Hastings (better employment prospects, cheaper, CA's legal market is in shambles at the moment), but the last time I visited Boston was about 10 years ago. I really liked it back then, and even applied to Boston-area schools as an undergrad, but I imagine a lot has changed since. I've been lurking around on the forums for information about BU, and most of the feedback seemed positive. Are there any bad things about BU besides the ugly tower? (Honestly, aesthetics don't bother me. My other option is Hastings which is also in an ugly building.)

Some things that are also factoring into my decision:

1. I'm looking to get into soft-IP work (copyrights/trademarks in entertainment and tech). I realize that BU has a top-notch IP program, but I get the sense that it's more patent-focused. Would BU's IP program be strong enough for my interests? What about Hastings'? NYC and LA would be the ideal legal markets for me to work, and I've read that BU could place me in NYC (though it's not guaranteed). How does this compare to Hastings placing me into the LA market? Do you think is more/less likely?

2. If I attend BU, there's a possibility the long-term boyfriend will not move with me. He's in tech, so staying in the Bay Area would be more advantageous for his career. If he can find a job in Boston, he would definitely move with me. Do you think there are enough tech jobs in Boston to justify a big move (for him)?

3. Some time down the line, I think I would like to move back to CA. I've heard people say "go to the school where you want to live and work", but does this still apply if you would want to move back 10-20 years from now and not immediately after graduation?

4. I'm not sure if this is even a consideration at all, but I'm still on the wait list at UCLA. UCLA is my #1 at the moment, so I'm sending LOCIs like crazy. In the off-chance that I do get admitted to UCLA, I think picking things up and moving there immediately from SF would be much more feasible than from Boston. Of course, this is all hypothetical. Should I just forget about this consideration entirely?

Does anyone know whether BU's Alumni Scholarship is separate from need-based aid? The financial aid website says the scholarship is given to those students with the most need. I'm asking because I received the scholarship, but I'm not sure if I should be expecting more need-based aid when I officially get my financial aid package (hopefully today).

I need to submit my first deposit by Friday (5/25), and I really don't have time to visit Boston between now and then. Am I making a mistake if I choose BU without visiting?

Any help would be appreciated!

bingbang1025

Re: BU or UC Hastings? Need to decide by Friday!

Postby bingbang1025 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:36 pm

We're in really similar situations. I'm choosing BU (w roughly the same scholarship you got) over Hastings (w the same grant you got) and Loyola (with $100k scholarship, that has stips). My goal is also to return to SoCal, though I understand there's a chance I have to work on the east coast for a while (I'm going to try and avoid this at all costs by just networking like crazy). But still I'm going to BU because I think the school's quality will give me a better shot at gainful employment.

Though Hastings is a great place to study especially if you want to practice in Norcal, BU is a better school than Hastings. I base this on several things but above all, job prospects (look at the latest NLJ250 stats and see how Hastings does vs. BU). At this point the CA legal market is destroyed and I think you have a better bet building up your resume elsewhere and returning with some experience under your belt. I'm really struggling to think this morning so PM me if you want to discuss this in more depth.

droges

Postby droges » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

You probably won't like this response but, do you have to go this year or can you wait a year and reapply early? Unless I missed it in your post, you did not indicate when in the cycle you applied. The reason I mention this is because if your application was later in the cycle you would benefit both in terms of scholarship money and acceptance to UCLA which you said is your number 1. Also, it could give you time to retake the LSAT which wouldn't hurt. I applied late in my cycle and received a nice scholarship but, looking back, now I think it would've been better to wait a year, apply early, maybe retake and have way more options. Furthermore, even with 15k/ year to BU, your total COA will probably put you 120,000 in debt and that is a huge burden. IMO, it is best to really limit your debt because the only manageable way to repay that is via BigLaw which is not available for everyone nor the most glamorous job especially when working at a minimum 60-80 hours per week.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:21 pm

If you want to work in California, go to Hastings. If you want to work in Boston, go to Boston. That's ultimately what the heart of the choice comes down to.

onefatbovine

Postby onefatbovine » Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:We're in really similar situations. I'm choosing BU (w roughly the same scholarship you got) over Hastings (w the same grant you got) and Loyola (with $100k scholarship, that has stips). My goal is also to return to SoCal, though I understand there's a chance I have to work on the east coast for a while (I'm going to try and avoid this at all costs by just networking like crazy). But still I'm going to BU because I think the school's quality will give me a better shot at gainful employment.

Though Hastings is a great place to study especially if you want to practice in Norcal, BU is a better school than Hastings. I base this on several things but above all, job prospects (look at the latest NLJ250 stats and see how Hastings does vs. BU). At this point the CA legal market is destroyed and I think you have a better bet building up your resume elsewhere and returning with some experience under your belt. I'm really struggling to think this morning so PM me if you want to discuss this in more depth.

Thanks for your input. The job prospects and the quality of the school is mainly what's pulling me towards BU. From what I've read it does seem like BU is just a better school all around. But, do you think it's a dumb decision to put down a deposit without visiting and trying to get a feel for the school's environment?

I'm assuming you've visited, since you've accepted BU's offer. Is there anything at all about the school that might turn someone off?

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 pm

onefatbovine wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:We're in really similar situations. I'm choosing BU (w roughly the same scholarship you got) over Hastings (w the same grant you got) and Loyola (with $100k scholarship, that has stips). My goal is also to return to SoCal, though I understand there's a chance I have to work on the east coast for a while (I'm going to try and avoid this at all costs by just networking like crazy). But still I'm going to BU because I think the school's quality will give me a better shot at gainful employment.

Thanks for your input. The job prospects and the quality of the school is mainly what's pulling me towards BU. From what I've read it does seem like BU is just a better school all around. But, do you think it's a dumb decision to put down a deposit without visiting and trying to get a feel for the school's environment?

I'm assuming you've visited, since you've accepted BU's offer. Is there anything at all about the school that might turn someone off?

So get this...I've never been to Boston. Haha. I'm just going to show up.

Enough people that I trust/respect/who know me have been there and visited (this includes ppl who attended BU) that I don't feel the need to drop $400-500 to go "visit". I know I'm going to like the city. Law school is law school is law school. Whether I'm in a library in Boston or a library at Loyola LA, it doesn't matter. i don't buy into the whole "get a feel for the school" shenanigans. Top law schools are going to be pretty similar. Gunners, books, long nights, bonding with classmates.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Without more information, it is difficult to offer a tailored response.

What are your numbers ?

Next cycle will be somewhat easier regarding admissions.

onefatbovine

Postby onefatbovine » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

droges wrote:You probably won't like this response but, do you have to go this year or can you wait a year and reapply early? Unless I missed it in your post, you did not indicate when in the cycle you applied. The reason I mention this is because if your application was later in the cycle you would benefit both in terms of scholarship money and acceptance to UCLA which you said is your number 1. Also, it could give you time to retake the LSAT which wouldn't hurt. I applied late in my cycle and received a nice scholarship but, looking back, now I think it would've been better to wait a year, apply early, maybe retake and have way more options. Furthermore, even with 15k/ year to BU, your total COA will probably put you 120,000 in debt and that is a huge burden. IMO, it is best to really limit your debt because the only manageable way to repay that is via BigLaw which is not available for everyone nor the most glamorous job especially when working at a minimum 60-80 hours per week.

You're right, I don't really like your response, but I understand where you're coming from. I actually applied early in the cycle: I got everything in by the end of November. I strongly believe the reason why I wasn't admitted to UCLA is because my LSAT score is low by their standards, and I'm actually going to take it again in June to possibly raise it up. If my LSAT score is significantly higher, then yes...maybe I will put off attending in the fall and apply to better schools. However, I'm pretty set on attending this year, especially because I recently got laid off and would rather spend my unemployment days going to law school than finding one-year employment.

I understand that BigLaw is the best way to pay off debt, and I'm going to aim for this no matter where I attend.

BU seems like the best option for me at the moment. I guess I'm just looking for some validation that I'm making the right decision to pick BU over Hastings despite the fact that I haven't visited Boston in a while.

onefatbovine

Postby onefatbovine » Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:
onefatbovine wrote:

So get this...I've never been to Boston. Haha. I'm just going to show up.

Enough people that I trust/respect/who know me have been there and visited (this includes ppl who attended BU) that I don't feel the need to drop $400-500 to go "visit". I know I'm going to like the city. Law school is law school is law school. Whether I'm in a library in Boston or a library at Loyola LA, it doesn't matter. i don't buy into the whole "get a feel for the school" shenanigans. Top law schools are going to be pretty similar. Gunners, books, long nights, bonding with classmates.

I suppose you're right. I've just felt "meh" about each law school I've visited. Either that means those particular law schools aren't very appealing, or maybe law school in general isn't really appealing...

onefatbovine

Postby onefatbovine » Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Without more information, it is difficult to offer a tailored response.

What are your numbers ?

Next cycle will be somewhat easier regarding admissions.

LSAT = low 160's
GPA = 3.8

droges

Postby droges » Mon May 21, 2012 6:03 pm

you would be smart to retake the LSAT, and if you can get 167+ you will have so many more options, especially considering the decreased number of applicants.

tropicanax

Postby tropicanax » Tue May 22, 2012 3:41 pm

we are literally in the exact same boat. i thought i wrote this post when i was reading yours -________-

MY EXACT DILLEMMAA! same stats, same interest, same schools we're considering, from cali/bay area, deposited at hastings, also ucla waitlist, need to decide by 5/25.
geeezus, are you myy twin? LOL

let's pm.

humbugger

Postby humbugger » Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Yep. I too was offered the same scholly at BU.

Only difference is, I never considered Hastings (though I was accepted there). My other choice is UW (Seattle) with about the same level of financial hurtitude.

Given my background (PhD in chemistry) I'll likely take BU.

tropicanax

Postby tropicanax » Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

wait 15k per year or 15k total?

onefatbovine

Postby onefatbovine » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 pm

tropicanax wrote:wait 15k per year or 15k total?

per year. I actually got it upped a bit due to a recent personal situation, so now I'm about 80% sure I'm going to deposit at BU.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”