Scholarship at USC and GW vs. None at Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hoocran1

Scholarship at USC and GW vs. None at Penn

Postby hoocran1 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 am

I've received a scholarship award at GW in the amount of $90,000 ($30,000/year), and just a bit less at USC.

I've just been accepted to Penn, and there are no scholarship awards left (other than FAFSA and the like).

My goal is Biglaw and/or a law firm structure with a high salary potential, and I am wondering if a degree from Penn would outweigh the savings made from going to GW or USC...

Other than the considerations of cost, debt, job placement, and salary potential, note that it is more likely (but not guaranteed) that I will practice in Los Angeles.

Thanks in advance.

bdubs

Re: Scholarship at USC and GW vs. None at Penn

Postby bdubs » Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 am

Go to Penn unless you have a burning desire to be in Southern California for the rest of your career.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am

Penn at sticker >>> GW with 90k.
Penn at sticker > USC with 90k, unless you want to work in south CA, then it's about equal.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am

Use the GW scholarship to try to get USC to give you more money. If they give you more then USC might be more enticing, but as it stands now Penn is probably the right call. I don't think you'd have a problem getting SoCal big law from Penn. (though USC has done surprisingly well lately so they would be ok for that goal as well).

I wouldn't seriously consider GW though

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:15 pm

I had the same offer with GW and decided on Penn. $90,000 isn't anything to laugh at, but DC is a super competitive market and you either need to be IP secure, have serious connections, or be in the top quarter of your class to even be considered for Big Law. Even worse, GW isn't very portable even with connections while Penn can get you back to SoCal easy.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Why is more likely than not that you'll practice in LA? If you're effectively LA or bust (i.e., being in LA is far and away the most important thing to you), you've gotta do USC here. Otherwise Penn. GWU, I think, should be out of the running.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”