UC Hastings at $36k/year COA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is UC Hastings worth $36k/year COA?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

onedavetoomany

UC Hastings at $36k/year COA?

Postby onedavetoomany » Sat May 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Is UC Hastings at $36k/year cost of attendance (tuition and living) worth the money? My undergrad and work experience is in Electrical Engineering. I've lived in the Bay Area all my life and want to stay here.

Any idea how significantly the engineering background would improve job prospects in IP?

blurbz

Re: UC Hastings at $36k/year COA?

Postby blurbz » Sat May 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Engineering definitely helps your job prospects.

That's over 108k in loans and it'll likely be higher because your tuition will increase. That's certainly not as high as it COULD be, but it's not really low, either. What other options do you have?

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun May 20, 2012 3:18 am

blurbz wrote:Engineering definitely helps your job prospects.

That's over 108k in loans and it'll likely be higher because your tuition will increase. That's certainly not as high as it COULD be, but it's not really low, either. What other options do you have?

My other option is UC Davis with a COA at $46k/year. Also, I'm waitlisted at UC Irvine which could be an option if they decide to make an offer with $$.

By the way, my numbers are slightly lower than yours.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:15 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
blurbz wrote:Engineering definitely helps your job prospects.

My other option is UC Davis with a COA at $46k/year. Also, I'm waitlisted at UC Irvine which could be an option if they decide to make an offer with $$.

By the way, my numbers are slightly lower than yours.

If you want to work in the Bay Area Hastings is better financially and regarding employment.

Did you apply to any lower ranked schools? You might be able to get a full-ride at USF. Taking out $100K+ with a small chance of biglaw will take a lot of time to repay.

Engineering is a solid background. It should significantly help with employment as long as you stay within something science/math related. Hastings promotes itself as "big" in IP.

Good Luck.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun May 20, 2012 3:39 pm

kapital98 wrote:
If you want to work in the Bay Area Hastings is better financially and regarding employment.

Did you apply to any lower ranked schools? You might be able to get a full-ride at USF. Taking out $100K+ with a small chance of biglaw will take a lot of time to repay.

Engineering is a solid background. It should significantly help with employment as long as you stay within something science/math related. Hastings promotes itself as "big" in IP.

Good Luck.

I applied to lower ranked schools, but surprisingly, none offered much more money than Hastings. USF offered me a one-year $20k scholarship with stips, and Santa Clara only offered $10.5k/year. From what I've heard, these two schools don't usually give out full rides.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:50 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
I applied to lower ranked schools, but surprisingly, none offered much more money than Hastings. USF offered me a one-year $20k scholarship with stips, and Santa Clara only offered $10.5k/year. From what I've heard, these two schools don't usually give out full rides.

It seems like Hastings is your best choice. Maybe if you do well after your first year you can send in a transfer application to Berkeley or Stanford.

Plastir

Postby Plastir » Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 pm

uCH has a cutting edge IP program, with 4 entrepreneurial clinics, and an active silicon valley alumni base

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 am

that electrical engineering background will definitely come into play and should help you out.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun May 27, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm starting to get nervous about $100k+ of debt for the job prospects available at graduation. Do you think an early application next cycle could result in better options? Since I have a decent job right now, I'm not in a situation where I need to attend this year. My numbers are at 166/3.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 27, 2012 4:41 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:I'm starting to get nervous about $100k+ of debt for the job prospects available at graduation. Do you think an early application next cycle could result in better options? Since I have a decent job right now, I'm not in a situation where I need to attend this year. My numbers are at 166/3.

Would you retake?

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun May 27, 2012 4:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:I'm starting to get nervous about $100k+ of debt for the job prospects available at graduation. Do you think an early application next cycle could result in better options? Since I have a decent job right now, I'm not in a situation where I need to attend this year. My numbers are at 166/3.

Would you retake?

I only took the LSAT once, so a retake is a possibility.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 27, 2012 4:47 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Would you retake?

If you wait, then def retake. Hastings doesn't offer much in terms of scholly so it might not boost that up much. You could get lower t14 though, which might be worth it.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun May 27, 2012 4:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Would you retake?

If you wait, then def retake. Hastings doesn't offer much in terms of scholly so it might not boost that up much. You could get lower t14 though, which might be worth it.

T14 would be great, but I'd also be very happy with UCLA/USC if it happened.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”