>>>>>>>

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
slburgess86

>>>>>>>

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Is Northern Kentucky the right school for me with my number?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Retake the LSAT. Only attend NKU if you receive a full tuition & fees scholarship since employment prospects are dim from Salmon P. Chase College of Law.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 19, 2012 8:54 pm

You should take the LSAT in October and apply early to better schools. Your GPA is fine, but your LSAT is below median: With a little work, do you think you could bring it up a bit? A few points will make a huge difference. 10 points will make even more, and 15-20 points will put you in at some really good schools with money. Did you study for the LSAT at all before your 150?

NKU is a terrible school with terrible job prospects. Paying to go there is not a smart decision. Indianapolis is a MUCH better choice, but I don't think you'd be able to get in without increasing your LSAT.

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 pm

It's not unusual to study for a YEAR for the LSAT. Do you really think that two weeks of work is going to get you the best results you're capable of?

You got an average score with minimal studying. You have a halfway decent GPA that only locks you out of the very very top schools. Commit to studying between now and October, take the test again, gain 15 points, and get into really good schools that won't ruin you financially.

10.6% of NKU grads from the class of 2010 got jobs making more than $55k. Think about trying to pay off loans on a salary that low or (more likely) even lower.
--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 19, 2012 9:08 pm

OP: Consider taking a prep course for the LSAT. A score of 158 or higher will change your law school options in a significant & positive manner.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat May 19, 2012 9:14 pm

slburgess86 wrote:Well there is a girl that just graduated this year out of my same major, and she got into Indy with a 151 lsat, but Im not sure of her GPA, I took 3 or 4 practice test before I got the 150. I studied for about two weeks and brung my score up from 143 to 150.

Obviously you should invest more time. 2 weeks is a joke.

Those numbers in the OP are off. Here are real ones...

Non-Discounted Tuition $33,732
Resident Tuition $15,972

Only 50% of the class of 2010, 9 months out, were employed in FT positions that required a JD. That sucks.
Last edited by Nova on Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Nova wrote:
slburgess86 wrote:Well there is a girl that just graduated this year out of my same major, and she got into Indy with a 151 lsat, but Im not sure of her GPA, I took 3 or 4 practice test before I got the 150. I studied for about two weeks and brung my score up from 143 to 150.

Obviously you should invest more time. 2 weeks is a joke.

Those numbers in the OP are off. Here are real ones...

Non-Discounted Tuition $33,732
Resident Tuition $15,972

Only 50% of the class of 2010, 9 months out, were employed in FT positions that required a JD. That sucks.

Thank you for posting that. I knew that couldn't be the tuition. Looks like OP was quoting tuition rates per semester?

Anyhoo, another vote for retake.

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:30 pm

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 pm

slburgess86 wrote:I appreciate the input, but are there any other schools that would be better that I have a shot at in the area, or are my only options going to be paying to retake, or going to a bad school? I know that they average the scores if you retake, so with that considered, I would have to get a 170(which I dont think I am capable of), to bring the score up to a 160 equivalant. I would be open to going anywhere in Indiana, KY, or ILL. But I want toi avoid valporaiso because I have heard they are very expensive, and are even worse than NKU.

Almost all schools take your highest score.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Schools don't average anymore. Your highest LSAT is what is reported to USNWR, so that what the school considers.

Yes, your options are retake or attend a school with dismal employment prospects. If you are going to attend a school like NKU or IU-I, it should be with no debt. And even then, only in certain cases.

I strongly advise you to take a year off and get a job. It will give you plenty of time to study for a retake, valuable work experience to help you get into a better school and get a job, and help you grow as an adult before entering the legal profession.

BTW, what state are you from and what state is your UG in?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Only two law schools claim to average LSAT scores: NYU & Harvard. Many do not believe that these schools average, however, despite their claims to the contrary.

Retake the LSAT & score 158 or higher. Your options will improve greatly.

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 pm

slburgess86 wrote:I appreciate the input, but are there any other schools that would be better that I have a shot at in the area, or are my only options going to be paying to retake, or going to a bad school?

You have an outside shot at Louisville. Though its not worth sticker and I dont think your numbers warrent a scholarship...

http://louisville.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

You need to retake. Get a 158 and youll probably get into UK.

http://kentucky.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 19, 2012 10:07 pm

slburgess86 wrote:Im in indiana and thats the state I will be getting my bachelors in, dont forget im entering my senior year. My BS will be in Homeland Security and I already have an AS in paralegal if that matters at all. Plus I do have work experience, I worked for 3 years as a printing press operator before going back to school, and I served three years in the marines after high school. Im also currently working as a non paid intern for a local judge as credit toward my BS degree, but Im not sure if that would be considered employment.

That is great experience. Your military experience may help you outperform your numbers a bit.

I assume you want to practice in Indiana? If so, I wouldn't go to a school outside of Indiana that isn't a T14 or WUSTL. Work hard on that retake and at the very least get a good scholarship to IU-Indy. With your Indiana ties and WE, IU-I wouldn't be a bad choice if you can keep the debt very low. Consider enrolling part time and working, so as to minimize the debt.

I know people who went and are going to IU-I. It's rough. Some of the people I know are really struggling to find a job that isn't being a waiter. But if you can keep the debt really low, it's probably worth taking the chance.

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 pm

slburgess86 wrote:Actually I was hoping to practice in KY, but I am open to staying in Indiana. The judge I am interning for actually went to Indy, but ithink he went back in the 80's, so im sure alot has changed. One school I also considered was SIU in carbondale, is that pretty much on the same level as NKU? Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments, and I am especially happy to do that the grades arent averaged, that encourages me alittle.

If you want to practice in Kentucky, you should target UK or Louisville at the lowest and only with scholarships. Don't go to SIU if you don't want to work in southern Illinois.

Anyway, retake and some back with your new (higher!) score and you can figure out which schools you should be targeting. It's hard to say right now until you retake. Good luck!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Your GPA is fine for IU-B...If you put in some time on the LSAT and improve ~15 points you'll have a pretty good shot there.

Since you didn't study at all the first time around (I don't count taking a few tests over 2 weeks as studying) there's no way to know yet how you can do if you put some time in.

Also: I agree that your military experience will help a bit.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Oh, and if you're wondering: Yes, a 15-point improvement is possible.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 pm

--ImageRemoved--

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keladry

Postby keladry » Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 pm

slburgess86 wrote:Im in indiana and thats the state I will be getting my bachelors in, dont forget im entering my senior year. My BS will be in Homeland Security and I already have an AS in paralegal if that matters at all. Plus I do have work experience, I worked for 3 years as a printing press operator before going back to school, and I served three years in the marines after high school. Im also currently working as a non paid intern for a local judge as credit toward my BS degree, but Im not sure if that would be considered employment.

All of which is great, but retake. Spend the summer studying, take the October LSAT, apply as soon as scores come out. Seriously. Retake.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:51 pm

northern kentucky is never the right school for anyone in any number. k?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 pm

First question is do you have any of the post 9-11 GI Bill left or did you use it for UG?

Regardless of the answer the proper answer really is to take. Look, some of the folks on here studied for the LSAT for months or even over a year like it was a full time job.... It really is a learnable test..... (I myself studied two weeks and wasn't that much higher on it.....) I had it all planned out to retake but got into my top choice based solely on softs.....

If you still have the GI Bill available MANY law schools can be attended free of charge especially when you account for the yellow ribbon program a lot of schools participate in... Personally, I would not waste that free law school card and three years at a school with poor job prospects. Seriously, Study your A off and take it in October and you can seriously be setting your goals MUCH higher for free with the GI Bill. If you don't have it still study your butt off and you will be looking at MUCH better schools than NK with substantial $$$..... (I will assume you can improve a LOT with real study....)

JC

slburgess86

Postby slburgess86 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Last edited by slburgess86 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”