Warning

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Warning

Postby thelawyler » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the faculty like at schools like this? I know that it is very difficult to break into acedamia, but how far down does that go? I find it so discouraging that there may be brilliant former HYS students who excelled in their respective fields partaking in this deceptive scheme. How can they just sit there in class and try to convince students that the education they're getting at these TTTT is worthwhile? How are they not urging their students to drop out and save tens of thousands of dollars?

When you need to put food on a plate...


Very true. I'm a 0L here still preparing myself for a lifetime of being disappointed by people through my work in the legal field


This sounds like a happy and fulfilling future.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Warning

Postby moonman157 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

thelawyler wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the faculty like at schools like this? I know that it is very difficult to break into acedamia, but how far down does that go? I find it so discouraging that there may be brilliant former HYS students who excelled in their respective fields partaking in this deceptive scheme. How can they just sit there in class and try to convince students that the education they're getting at these TTTT is worthwhile? How are they not urging their students to drop out and save tens of thousands of dollars?

When you need to put food on a plate...


Very true. I'm a 0L here still preparing myself for a lifetime of being disappointed by people through my work in the legal field


This sounds like a happy and fulfilling future.


Sounds like a career in law

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Warning

Postby dowu » Sun May 27, 2012 12:08 am

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSAT>LDAC
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 am

Re: Warning

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 am

moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the faculty like at schools like this? I know that it is very difficult to break into acedamia, but how far down does that go? I find it so discouraging that there may be brilliant former HYS students who excelled in their respective fields partaking in this deceptive scheme. How can they just sit there in class and try to convince students that the education they're getting at these TTTT is worthwhile? How are they not urging their students to drop out and save tens of thousands of dollars?

When you need to put food on a plate...


Very true. I'm a 0L here still preparing myself for a lifetime of being disappointed by people through my work in the legal field


Better that than the opposite.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Warning

Postby rayiner » Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.


Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Warning

Postby ru2486 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Seeing as how this whole thread is about Rutgers Camden/Rowan Law... Rutgers-Newark Law ftw????!

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Warning

Postby dresden doll » Tue May 29, 2012 11:37 pm

rayiner wrote:
zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.


Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.


I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Warning

Postby sunynp » Wed May 30, 2012 12:09 am

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.


Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.


I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.


There is also the often neglected point that lawyers care a great deal about ethics and that law schools should behave in ethical manner towards their prospective students, their actual students and their grads. False and misleading advertising with this whole "buyer beware" mentality discounts the fact that law schools should have a higher standard of ethics than your local dry cleaner, hardware store or bodega.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Warning

Postby zozin » Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 am

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.


Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.


I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.

I said they're run like businesses. You think they spend money on viewbooks just because they're being nice, they want to attract talent with pretty pictures. Or fee-waiver, that's nothing more than a sale to get qualified people in the door. When people sign up for LSAC they get sent dozens of brochures from schools, what this school is doing is taking the next step and expanding their leads beyond LSAC users.

The ethical issue is a completely different argument.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Warning

Postby timbs4339 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 am

zozin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.


Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.


I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.

I said they're run like businesses. You think they spend money on viewbooks just because they're being nice, they want to attract talent with pretty pictures. Or fee-waiver, that's nothing more than a sale to get qualified people in the door. When people sign up for LSAC they get sent dozens of brochures from schools, what this school is doing is taking the next step and expanding their leads beyond LSAC users.

The ethical issue is a completely different argument.


The point is they need to pick. One or the other. Either drop the facade of being a non-profit, ethical institution of higher learning and come right out and say that students are consumers, or man up and take some goddamn responsibility for the future of this profession, not just their own bottom lines.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Warning

Postby MormonChristian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Now I almost don't want to go to law school.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Warning

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

MormonChristian wrote:Now I almost don't want to go to law school.


Lol a feeling most of us have throughout our entire student and professional lives I would imagine. "Why am I doing this" is a question you will ask many many more times lol




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 3 guests