Warning Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thelawyler

Silver

Re: Warning

Post by thelawyler » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the faculty like at schools like this? I know that it is very difficult to break into acedamia, but how far down does that go? I find it so discouraging that there may be brilliant former HYS students who excelled in their respective fields partaking in this deceptive scheme. How can they just sit there in class and try to convince students that the education they're getting at these TTTT is worthwhile? How are they not urging their students to drop out and save tens of thousands of dollars?
When you need to put food on a plate...
Very true. I'm a 0L here still preparing myself for a lifetime of being disappointed by people through my work in the legal field
This sounds like a happy and fulfilling future.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

thelawyler wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the faculty like at schools like this? I know that it is very difficult to break into acedamia, but how far down does that go? I find it so discouraging that there may be brilliant former HYS students who excelled in their respective fields partaking in this deceptive scheme. How can they just sit there in class and try to convince students that the education they're getting at these TTTT is worthwhile? How are they not urging their students to drop out and save tens of thousands of dollars?
Very true. I'm a 0L here still preparing myself for a lifetime of being disappointed by people through my work in the legal field
This sounds like a happy and fulfilling future.
Sounds like a career in law

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun May 27, 2012 12:08 am

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 am

moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Better that than the opposite.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.
Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Seeing as how this whole thread is about Rutgers Camden/Rowan Law... Rutgers-Newark Law ftw????!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 29, 2012 11:37 pm

rayiner wrote:
zozin wrote:I don't understand why people on TLS are surprised about this, they're running the law school like a business. In order to sell the product, you advertise. If people are stupid enough to fork over $200K and 3 years of their life because they were convinced to go to law school due to superficial research, then I say good luck to them and god bless America.

As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm an 0L, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not, but it looks like they're massaging the numbers in their favor. I'm sure law schools aren't the only institution doing this.
Schools are not businesses. They are heavily tax-favored and advantaged in various ways.
I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed May 30, 2012 12:09 am

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I'm amazed this needed explaining. Learn the difference between a nonprofit institution and a for-profit business, zozin.
There is also the often neglected point that lawyers care a great deal about ethics and that law schools should behave in ethical manner towards their prospective students, their actual students and their grads. False and misleading advertising with this whole "buyer beware" mentality discounts the fact that law schools should have a higher standard of ethics than your local dry cleaner, hardware store or bodega.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 am

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I said they're run like businesses. You think they spend money on viewbooks just because they're being nice, they want to attract talent with pretty pictures. Or fee-waiver, that's nothing more than a sale to get qualified people in the door. When people sign up for LSAC they get sent dozens of brochures from schools, what this school is doing is taking the next step and expanding their leads beyond LSAC users.

The ethical issue is a completely different argument.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 am

zozin wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I said they're run like businesses. You think they spend money on viewbooks just because they're being nice, they want to attract talent with pretty pictures. Or fee-waiver, that's nothing more than a sale to get qualified people in the door. When people sign up for LSAC they get sent dozens of brochures from schools, what this school is doing is taking the next step and expanding their leads beyond LSAC users.

The ethical issue is a completely different argument.
The point is they need to pick. One or the other. Either drop the facade of being a non-profit, ethical institution of higher learning and come right out and say that students are consumers, or man up and take some goddamn responsibility for the future of this profession, not just their own bottom lines.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Now I almost don't want to go to law school.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

MormonChristian wrote:Now I almost don't want to go to law school.
Lol a feeling most of us have throughout our entire student and professional lives I would imagine. "Why am I doing this" is a question you will ask many many more times lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”