FL v. FSU (Is FSU on the rise?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

FSU v UF (equal price tag)

UF
74%
FSU
26%

Total votes: 23

akikoinu

FL v. FSU (Is FSU on the rise?)

Postby akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 am

I'm trying to decide between FSU and UF in the fall. Money is not a factor in the decision. UF is ranked only slightly higher. I've heard good things about the FSU faculty, the UF alumni network, FSU internship prospects, UF job prospects in the southeast, etc. I've heard all of the negative things people say about living in Tallahassee, living in Gainesville, FSU not being quite under 50 in the rankings, etc.

From everything I've seen, I'm not sure why FSU is ranked lower than UF and I wonder if it might surpass UF over the next few years. FSU's football team looks quite a bit better for next year (not that this should affect my decision, right? :D )

Its so difficult for me to decide!! I've listed all of the pros and cons and none of them seems compelling enough to sway me in either direction.

FeelTheHeat

Re: FL v. FSU (Is FSU on the rise?)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri May 18, 2012 1:16 am

If money doesn't matter, visit both schools, go to the one you like more. UF gives you better opportunities in south Florida. Faculty rankings mean shit. Go where you feel more comfortable.

I gave up $20k from FSU to go to UF. I am very pleased with my choice.

akikoinu

Postby akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:If money doesn't matter, visit both schools, go to the one you like more. UF gives you better opportunities in south Florida. Faculty rankings mean shit. Go where you feel more comfortable.

I gave up $20k from FSU to go to UF. I am very pleased with my choice.

Thanks. Do you mind saying what factored into your decision?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 18, 2012 2:55 am

What kind of job do you want? Do you want Big law?

UF, 50+ 11.5%, 501+ 6.8%

FSU, 50+ 9.7%, 501+ 2.1%

--LinkRemoved--

akikoinu

Postby akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 am

I would actually prefer public interest or government work.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 18, 2012 3:09 am

akikoinu wrote:I would actually prefer public interest or government work.

Govt is barely hiring, but enjoy FSU.

akikoinu

Postby akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 am

But I work for the government now! :) I guess I'll have to base my decision on location, but I have no idea how much the rankings actually matter. Half of the people on these forums seem obsessed with rankings and the other half with recruiting. I think I would probably have a good time at either school. Is it true that the quality of the faculty doesn't matter? It matters to me.

annet

Postby annet » Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am

akikoinu wrote:But I work for the government now! :) I guess I'll have to base my decision on location, but I have no idea how much the rankings actually matter. Half of the people on these forums seem obsessed with rankings and the other half with recruiting. I think I would probably have a good time at either school. Is it true that the quality of the faculty doesn't matter? It matters to me.

Are you in a position where your agency or department would re-hire you in 3 years in a JD-required job? If that's the case then just go wherever is cheapest.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 am

UF is still better respected than FSU in south Florida. I would go there, but I don't think there is a big difference btwn the two.

Spudley_Mac

Postby Spudley_Mac » Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I just got into UF off the wait-list today after being admitted to FSU. Although I think FSU has a more "tight-knit" group and the living situation was much better, I just don't think I can pass up the opportunity to go to the better school, especially given that I would like to work south of or in Gainesville.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 pm

six of one half dozen of anther..... Which annoys you less, saying Go Gators or the four hour long war chant during FSU games.....

Seriously it comes down to which location you like more as they are quite close in job prospects.....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”