University of Arizona (48K) v. Case Western (96K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of Arizona
80%
Case Western Reserve University
20%

Total votes: 10

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Thu May 17, 2012 8:01 pm

So, I just found out I got into U of A after being on the waitlist. I went to check out the school and loved everything about it. I ultimately want to practice on the west coast and am willing to work where necessary at first. I decided on Arizona and sent out withdraw e-mails to all the schools waiting to hear from me. This morning I received a call from Case Western Reserve University telling me that they upped my scholarship to $32000/year. The difference in price between the two schools would be about 40K for the 3 years, so I need to at least consider Case with their new offer. Can anybody provide any insight to help me sort through this?

stillwater

Re: University of Arizona (48K) v. Case Western (96K)

Postby stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Case Western certainly won't get you to the west coast and even UA is questionable. Did you apply to any California schools? Or schools in your desired state on the west coast?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 8:07 pm

UofA will get you AZ, not California.

ETA: I'd go UofA. Cleveland is.. :?

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I applied to a ton of schools all over the country (including at least two each in OR,WA, and CA). I would be happy beginning my career in Arizona and I am fairly confident that if push came to shove I could find legal employment anywhere in my preferred region. I might've misspoke when I said "west coast" because I most certainly would prefer Arizona over most of SoCal (although I have yet to check out San Diego). I am very happy with my choice of UA and will definitely thrive there. Maryland and UA were the only tier 1 schools I got into (Maryland was a non-starter with no $$)... The other options I had were Lewis & Clark (39K), Seattle (54K), Chicago- Kent (60K), and Richmond (60K). So, getting into Arizona was a HUGE relief and it was just perfect for me. Thoughts?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Greatest,Ever wrote:I applied to a ton of schools all over the country (including at least two each in OR,WA, and CA). I would be happy beginning my career in Arizona and I am fairly confident that if push came to shove I could find legal employment anywhere in my preferred region. I might've misspoke when I said "west coast" because I most certainly would prefer Arizona over most of SoCal (although I have yet to check out San Diego). I am very happy with my choice of UA and will definitely thrive there. Maryland and UA were the only tier 1 schools I got into (Maryland was a non-starter with no $$)... The other options I had were Lewis & Clark (39K), Seattle (54K), Chicago- Kent (60K), and Richmond (60K). So, getting into Arizona was a HUGE relief and it was just perfect for me. Thoughts?

Sounds like UofA would be a good fit for you. If I were you that's where I'd go.

What's the total COA of UofA and Case?

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

gaud wrote:
Greatest,Ever wrote:I applied to a ton of schools all over the country (including at least two each in OR,WA, and CA). I would be happy beginning my career in Arizona and I am fairly confident that if push came to shove I could find legal employment anywhere in my preferred region. I might've misspoke when I said "west coast" because I most certainly would prefer Arizona over most of SoCal (although I have yet to check out San Diego). I am very happy with my choice of UA and will definitely thrive there. Maryland and UA were the only tier 1 schools I got into (Maryland was a non-starter with no $$)... The other options I had were Lewis & Clark (39K), Seattle (54K), Chicago- Kent (60K), and Richmond (60K). So, getting into Arizona was a HUGE relief and it was just perfect for me. Thoughts?

Sounds like UofA would be a good fit for you. If I were you that's where I'd go.

What's the total COA of UofA and Case?

University of Arizona (resident for 2L and 3L): $129,000
Case Western: $92,000

I'm strongly leaning towards UA, so you see a rationale to take on that 37K more there?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I mean, I do see the rationale, but it's still pretty expensive.

Have you considered a retake? (just asking) High enough score and you could get $$$ from UofA and have the option to attend higher ranked schools.

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

gaud wrote:I mean, I do see the rationale, but it's still pretty expensive.

Have you considered a retake? (just asking) High enough score and you could get $$$ from UofA and have the option to attend higher ranked schools.

In case you're curious: 162, 3.11

I thought about retaking for a little while and it is just impractical. I'm a year out of school and living at home with a minimum wage job in the Bay Area (essentially existing in a limbo-like state). I studied my ass off all of last fall - before I had my job - and accepted my score. I actually put a deposit down at Seattle U (love Seattle, but very meh about the school) and then found out about UA. On lawschoolpredictor.com I was pegged at about a 12% chance of getting into UA, so I think they accepted me on the strength of my soft factors. I'm also checking out the amount other people got on lsn and I really don't see too much more of an increase.

I've made up my mind and want to go to UA, just wanted to see if anybody would argue for Case.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 pm

If you're certain you'd like to attend law school this fall, I think UofA is your best choice.

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 pm

gaud wrote:If you're certain you'd like to attend law school this fall, I think UofA is your best choice.

I checked out your stats and you def have some cred on the matter. Thanks for letting me talk it out. Needed anons with similar goals to help me unpack everything.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Greatest,Ever wrote:
gaud wrote:If you're certain you'd like to attend law school this fall, I think UofA is your best choice.

I checked out your stats and you def have some cred on the matter. Thanks for letting me talk it out. Needed anons with similar goals to help me unpack everything.

Glad I could help. Good luck to you.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 8:40 am

The move from San Francisco to Cleveland might put you into a state of culture shock. :D Safer to attend Arizona or Seattle University if planning to practice in the West.

princeR

Postby princeR » Fri May 18, 2012 10:19 am

Go to UoA. For the love of God (or maybe Gaud lol) DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to Seattle U. I live in Seattle and UW owns this shit. Seattle U is honestly looked upon at those kids that couldn't get into UW, which it is for the most part...

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 am

I've never been to Cleveland, but I can only imagine it being quite depressing in winter, especially if you're from CA.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 18, 2012 11:30 am

Negotiate your scholarship with Arizona in light of the Case scholarship bump. Try and get that total debt around/under $100k.

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Negotiate your scholarship with Arizona in light of the Case scholarship bump. Try and get that total debt around/under $100k.

I sent UA an email explaining the current situation. I'm optimistic that things will work out in my favor. Things looked so different just two weeks ago. And Arizona happened to be the best fit for me and it cost the same as all of the other schools I was considering. Now it's a little tougher...

Greatest,Ever

Postby Greatest,Ever » Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

princeR wrote:Go to UoA. For the love of God (or maybe Gaud lol) DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to Seattle U. I live in Seattle and UW owns this shit. Seattle U is honestly looked upon at those kids that couldn't get into UW, which it is for the most part...

I kinda felt that vibe but Seattle U was the lesser of several evils.

nekha123

Postby nekha123 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 am

Greatest,Ever wrote:So, I just found out I got into U of A after being on the waitlist. I went to check out the school and loved everything about it. I ultimately want to practice on the west coast and am willing to work where necessary at first. I decided on Arizona and sent out withdraw e-mails to all the schools waiting to hear from me. This morning I received a call from Case Western Reserve University telling me that they upped my scholarship to $32000/year. The difference in price between the two schools would be about 40K for the 3 years, so I need to at least consider Case with their new offer. Can anybody provide any insight to help me sort through this?

UofA may get you there but not case western. Have you tried to negotiate in UofA?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”