Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Why would you only consider sending your resume to two locations? That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

If you don't think you're marketable, then don't go into law. Just because you're taking a pessimistic approach, doesn't mean that a person won't gain a job.

If you can't make yourself attractive to a place such as HK, then that's on you. Competition is competition. Competition doesn't negate potential.


So let me get this straight. Your argument for why OP should go to Stetson despite its abysmal job prospects is because all you have to do to get a job is be marketable?


No. I never said such a thing. I made no argument.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
One, tons of Emory/Vandy grads work in FL. Two, it's not fucking transferring, it's employment. There are limited legal jobs in FL, more than most other parts of the country. Something you do not understand.


I never said that I disagreed with matriculation, just the numbers. I won't state why. No need to cuss. You've stated your opinion. That should be all.

If you live in FL and are worried about FL employment, then don't go to a FL school. Problem solved for you. How does that address OP's question. If OP is considering Stetson or Nova and has outside sources of income, then go to Stetson. If you disagree, then disagree and move along.


It's hard to just disagree and move along when you come into the thread and derp it up. When that happens we worry that OP might actually listen to you so then people have to stay and keep pointing out all the reasons you're wrong.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Look at what schools SA's are coming from for FLORIDA firms. FL garners top school talent, plenty of TLS poasters know the market.


And as was said before, top talent does not negate name of school. Although, looking at the bios, I would disagree with your general statement. That's a totally different topic though. If you wish to continue to think that, so be it.

Just so OP knows this is stupid, past hiring =/= present hiring.

If you want to get a picture of what the firm hiring looks like presently, do a search for associates who graduated in '10 and above.


This is a given.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Why would you only consider sending your resume to two locations? That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

If you don't think you're marketable, then don't go into law. Just because you're taking a pessimistic approach, doesn't mean that a person won't gain a job.

If you can't make yourself attractive to a place such as HK, then that's on you. Competition is competition. Competition doesn't negate potential.


So let me get this straight. Your argument for why OP should go to Stetson despite its abysmal job prospects is because all you have to do to get a job is be marketable?


No. I never said such a thing. I made no argument.


So why should OP go to Stetson despite its abysmal job prospects?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

flem wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
flem wrote:Bain Capital is a top tier consulting firm and always has been. Sub in Deloitte/Accenture/Booz or whatever.

Ehhhhh


lol I couldn't think of the big one right now for some reason


Mckinsey & Co. Has a tampa/st pete office, must be employing TSO MANY STETSON GRADS!!!!

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.


because I know how many hundreds of people apply for those 2 positions.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
One, tons of Emory/Vandy grads work in FL. Two, it's not fucking transferring, it's employment. There are limited legal jobs in FL, more than most other parts of the country. Something you do not understand.


I never said that I disagreed with matriculation, just the numbers. I won't state why. No need to cuss. You've stated your opinion. That should be all.

If you live in FL and are worried about FL employment, then don't go to a FL school. Problem solved for you. How does that address OP's question. If OP is considering Stetson or Nova and has outside sources of income, then go to Stetson. If you disagree, then disagree and move along.


It's hard to just disagree and move along when you come into the thread and derp it up. When that happens we worry that OP might actually listen to you so then people have to stay and keep pointing out all the reasons you're wrong.


It's not my fault you aren't off busy doing other things. Then it wouldn't be hard. I think it would be quite easy to not jump into talks when you live out of market, but apparently you don't wish to busy yourself with the local community.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.


because I know how many hundreds of people apply for those 2 positions.


This has nothing to do with matriculation rates and blanketing the system. As I said, competition is competition. This is true about you applying blind to ANY opportunity.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.

H&K used to hire like 15. Now they hire two. Last summer they hired the #1 person from Stetson and a bro bro from Harvard. So SA positions are comparatively rare compared to pre-crash economy.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm

BearsGrl wrote:It's not my fault you aren't off busy doing other things. Then it wouldn't be hard. I think it would be quite easy to not jump into talks when you live out of market, but apparently you don't wish to busy yourself with the local community.

Aren't you in Chi or CA or some crap?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
This has nothing to do with matriculation rates and blanketing the system. As I said, competition is competition. This is true about you applying blind to ANY opportunity.


And if you're mass mailing to firms, what makes you think they're pick out Stetson out of the hundreds of resumes they get?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:Aren't you in Chi or CA or some crap?


I think Waterman goes to G'Town. HTH

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.


because I know how many hundreds of people apply for those 2 positions.


Assuming that one only blankets the local market is a wrong assumption. Unless you didn't assume that, which isn't stated as you are only listing firms with local offices. I will revert back to competition being competition. If you are saying that going into debt for debt's sake is wrong to do, then ok. That wasn't OP's contention. This doesn't negative Stetson being a solid school for Florida.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:32 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
This doesn't negative Stetson being a solid school for Florida.


But the thing is....it does and it isn't.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.


This is where we differ. I don't think two is rare. I can see how you would think it is rare, but I just disagree with that philosophy.

H&K used to hire like 15. Now they hire two. Last summer they hired the #1 person from Stetson and a bro bro from Harvard. So SA positions are comparatively rare compared to pre-crash economy.


I don't disagree with this. But I also get the strategy on the firm's end. Which is why I said that I don't think two is a small number. I think it's a market correction number. Others can disagree with that contention.

And no, I do not live in CA at the moment. I merely went to grad. school and lived/worked there for a few years.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
This has nothing to do with matriculation rates and blanketing the system. As I said, competition is competition. This is true about you applying blind to ANY opportunity.


And if you're mass mailing to firms, what makes you think they're pick out Stetson out of the hundreds of resumes they get?


If? What is this if concept? This is a given. I never said that they would. I always said that competition is competition. Don't blame your school as the sole reason that you are viewed as an unattractive candidate.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:36 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
This doesn't negative Stetson being a solid school for Florida.


But the thing is....it does and it isn't.


Then don't go to Stetson, bro.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
One, tons of Emory/Vandy grads work in FL. Two, it's not fucking transferring, it's employment. There are limited legal jobs in FL, more than most other parts of the country. Something you do not understand.


I never said that I disagreed with matriculation, just the numbers. I won't state why. No need to cuss. You've stated your opinion. That should be all.

If you live in FL and are worried about FL employment, then don't go to a FL school. Problem solved for you. How does that address OP's question. If OP is considering Stetson or Nova and has outside sources of income, then go to Stetson. If you disagree, then disagree and move along.


It's hard to just disagree and move along when you come into the thread and derp it up. When that happens we worry that OP might actually listen to you so then people have to stay and keep pointing out all the reasons you're wrong.


It's not my fault you aren't off busy doing other things. Then it wouldn't be hard. I think it would be quite easy to not jump into talks when you live out of market, but apparently you don't wish to busy yourself with the local community.


I don't have to live in FL to read employment statistics about Stetson. For some reason I feel like I've said this already

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
If? What is this if concept? This is a given. I never said that they would. I always said that competition is competition. Don't blame your school as the sole reason that you are viewed as an unattractive candidate.


Your school is easiest metric by which you set yourself apart from other candidates. HTH.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 pm

I think in every thread BearsGrl picks a new word to repeat over and over. Last time it was assumption, now it's competition. Go to Stetson because competition is competition.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
I don't have to live in FL to read employment statistics about Stetson. For some reason I feel like I've said this already


You're spending your Thursday talking about employment stats when you could be doing soooo many other things. I find this comical.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
If? What is this if concept? This is a given. I never said that they would. I always said that competition is competition. Don't blame your school as the sole reason that you are viewed as an unattractive candidate.


Your school is easiest metric by which you set yourself apart from other candidates. HTH.


Only if your resume pales in comparison to other candidates. There is a cost-benefit to any decision.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
I don't have to live in FL to read employment statistics about Stetson. For some reason I feel like I've said this already


You're spending your Thursday talking about employment stats when you could be doing soooo many other things. I find this comical.


You're right, I am pretty lame. What day is it on your planet?
Last edited by Ludo! on Thu May 17, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:42 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
If? What is this if concept? This is a given. I never said that they would. I always said that competition is competition. Don't blame your school as the sole reason that you are viewed as an unattractive candidate.


Your school is easiest metric by which you set yourself apart from other candidates. HTH.


Only if your resume pales in comparison to other candidates. There is a cost-benefit to any decision.


Um, the school is the first thing on your resume




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grond, mojomeltdown, NUDad, Socratease and 5 guests