Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
top30man

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Postby top30man » Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Oh I take my +1 back. I didn't realize that BearsGrl has been to Stetson. Clearly that changes everything.

I'll refer you to the FL AG who is a part of bringing down the health care mandate. I'd be surprised if the mandate stays. It's possible, but I'm leaning towards parts or all of the law being struck-down.

Stetson is one of those schools that people in FL tend to think of with respect. Both schools have different draws. One is attached to a campus setting, the other is a stand-alone building. Stetson's UG and law school are separate from one another. And in terms of overall FL schools I'd put it at #3. If the individual is local and won't have high relocation costs, it's "smart" to stay local as the school has a solid reputation.

Oh yeah I forgot that the other way to judge a school besides visiting is to provide an anecdote of one successful graduate.

Question - are you friends with the AG on Facebook and how happy does she look in her vacation photos?

I think you said that you worked/interview in Chitown. Why in the world would you talk about non-Chitown markets? Have you physically been to the school? I have. I think TLS is concerned too much with people that want to get into NY, Chi and LA markets. Not everyone wants those markets. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson within Florida, then fine. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson to outside of Florida markets, then not as easy to transfer with the initial job. That doesn't change the fact that Stetson is a solid enough school that will set you up for opportunities.

Statistical data is definitely just available in the Stetson law library. And not widely available on the Internet.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:52 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Oh I take my +1 back. I didn't realize that BearsGrl has been to Stetson. Clearly that changes everything.

I'll refer you to the FL AG who is a part of bringing down the health care mandate. I'd be surprised if the mandate stays. It's possible, but I'm leaning towards parts or all of the law being struck-down.

Stetson is one of those schools that people in FL tend to think of with respect. Both schools have different draws. One is attached to a campus setting, the other is a stand-alone building. Stetson's UG and law school are separate from one another. And in terms of overall FL schools I'd put it at #3. If the individual is local and won't have high relocation costs, it's "smart" to stay local as the school has a solid reputation.

Oh yeah I forgot that the other way to judge a school besides visiting is to provide an anecdote of one successful graduate.

Question - are you friends with the AG on Facebook and how happy does she look in her vacation photos?

I think you said that you worked/interview in Chitown. Why in the world would you talk about non-Chitown markets? Have you physically been to the school? I have. I think TLS is concerned too much with people that want to get into NY, Chi and LA markets. Not everyone wants those markets. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson within Florida, then fine. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson to outside of Florida markets, then not as easy to transfer with the initial job. That doesn't change the fact that Stetson is a solid enough school that will set you up for opportunities.

Look at what schools SA's are coming from for FLORIDA firms. FL garners top school talent, plenty of TLS poasters know the market.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:53 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I don't need to physically visit a school to read employment statistics about it. HTH

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 4:53 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that Stetson is a solid enough school that will set you up for opportunities.

Except for the 31% of Stetson grads who had no long term employment 9 months after graduation.

So you know, there's that.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Even TTTT schools have successfuly alumni, that graduated pre .com bubble pre great recession. Hell even the #1 in class is gonna land big law. But with Stetson if you aren't at the tip top of your class you are in a poor employment situation. Stetson is not the 3rd best school in FL; and regardless jobs will be going to it is T14/Vandy >>> Emory >> FL/FSU >> Miami >>>> doesn't matter

I don't disagree with that. I'm saying the likelihood that you can't still get a solid job isn't going to be rare if you graduate from Stetson. Any job field has competition. The likelihood that Vandy and Emory grads. will transfer down to FL is rare. Competition is competition. Why does everyone in this thread assume it would be easy regardless of where you go. It's called blanketing the system. I'm just saying that within the state of FL, Stetson has a solid reputation. What an individual does is up to them.

If you have concern about going to Stetson, then don't go. Telling someone else to not go because you have concerns doesn't seem appropriate.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:55 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that Stetson is a solid enough school that will set you up for opportunities.

Except for the 31% of Stetson grads who had no long term employment 9 months after graduation.

So you know, there's that.

I guess if you had physically visited there you would have seen that all of those unemployed people were doing just fine

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:56 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Even TTTT schools have successfuly alumni, that graduated pre .com bubble pre great recession. Hell even the #1 in class is gonna land big law. But with Stetson if you aren't at the tip top of your class you are in a poor employment situation. Stetson is not the 3rd best school in FL; and regardless jobs will be going to it is T14/Vandy >>> Emory >> FL/FSU >> Miami >>>> doesn't matter

I don't disagree with that. I'm saying the likelihood that you can't still get a solid job isn't going to be rare if you graduate from Stetson. Any job field has competition. The likelihood that Vandy and Emory grads. will transfer down to FL is rare. Competition is competition. Why does everyone in this thread assume it would be easy regardless of where you go. It's called blanketing the system. I'm just saying that within the state of FL, Stetson has a solid reputation. What an individual does is up to them.

If you have concern about going to Stetson, then don't go. Telling someone else to not go because you have concerns doesn't seem appropriate.

One, tons of Emory/Vandy grads work in FL. Two, it's not fucking transferring, it's employment. There are limited legal jobs in FL, more than most other parts of the country. Something you do not understand.
Last edited by Ruxin1 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 4:57 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

Now if only lay prestige and reputation transferred into actual employment placement, we'd be in business!

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Oh and if you remove the shitty business and industry category (since Stetson grads are not being hired in droves by Bain Capital) 63% are employed long term.

So there's that.

OP what are your career goals? Since you'll be debt free that means you're flexible and that's awesome but what do you want to actually do?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Stetson. I've been to both Nova and Stetson. Stetson has a solid reputation within the state of FL. Choose it over Nova. It won't keep you tied to Tampa.

Solid reputation does not mean employment. Florida's market is in shambles and you are competing against a ton of natives that go T14/Vandy/Emory

Florida's market isn't in the desperate shambles that gets talked about on TLS. Too much concern-trolling. And I'd say that overall, TLS isn't the community that would know a school such as Stetson.

General caution is always warranted, but not the current concern shown.

How many SA's is GT and HK taking this and last summer, some nalp directory information/education would do you some good.

Why would you only consider sending your resume to two locations? That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

If you don't think you're marketable, then don't go into law. Just because you're taking a pessimistic approach, doesn't mean that a person won't gain a job.

If you can't make yourself attractive to a place such as HK, then that's on you. Competition is competition. Competition doesn't negate potential.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

I love the mention of Bain Capital in an election year. Now, Bain Capital is good. In Presidential politics, Bain Capital is baaaaad. Make up your minds.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 pm

top30man wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Being the third best school in Florida does not equal a good choice. That's really debatable anyway. The data disagrees with you that Stetson could ever be a good choice at sticker.
Also, lol at a standalone building being a "draw" to choose a school. What is that even supposed to mean? Worth the 30k as long as there's no other building around.

I don't think draw means what you think it means. Perhaps, this is why you think the way in which you do.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Why would you only consider sending your resume to two locations? That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

If you don't think you're marketable, then don't go into law. Just because you're taking a pessimistic approach, doesn't mean that a person won't gain a job.

If you can't make yourself attractive to a place such as HK, then that's on you. Competition is competition. Competition doesn't negate potential.

So let me get this straight. Your argument for why OP should go to Stetson despite its abysmal job prospects is because all you have to do to get a job is be marketable?

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:10 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I love the mention of Bain Capital in an election year. Now, Bain Capital is good. In Presidential politics, Bain Capital is baaaaad. Make up your minds.

lol

Bain Capital is a top tier consulting firm and always has been. Sub in Deloitte/Accenture/Booz or whatever.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:10 pm

lulz, tremendous troll is tremendous. It was an example for you to see how few SA's there are, not my bidding strategy.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu May 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I offered on topic advice for the first time and was rewarded with being tagged in a bearsgirl thread.

There is karma in this world. Who knew?

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Thu May 17, 2012 5:11 pm

*Grabs a bowl of popcorn*

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Look at what schools SA's are coming from for FLORIDA firms. FL garners top school talent, plenty of TLS poasters know the market.

And as was said before, top talent does not negate name of school. Although, looking at the bios, I would disagree with your general statement. That's a totally different topic though. If you wish to continue to think that, so be it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:16 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

And as was said before, top talent does not negate name of school. Although, looking at the bios, I would disagree with your general statement. That's a totally different topic though. If you wish to continue to think that, so be it.

Just so OP knows this is stupid, past hiring =/= present hiring.

If you want to get a picture of what the firm hiring looks like presently, do a search for associates who graduated in '10 and above.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
One, tons of Emory/Vandy grads work in FL. Two, it's not fucking transferring, it's employment. There are limited legal jobs in FL, more than most other parts of the country. Something you do not understand.

I never said that I disagreed with matriculation, just the numbers. I won't state why. No need to cuss. You've stated your opinion. That should be all.

If you live in FL and are worried about FL employment, then don't go to a FL school. Problem solved for you. How does that address OP's question. If OP is considering Stetson or Nova and has outside sources of income, then go to Stetson. If you disagree, then disagree and move along.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I love the mention of Bain Capital in an election year. Now, Bain Capital is good. In Presidential politics, Bain Capital is baaaaad. Make up your minds.

lol

Bain Capital is a top tier consulting firm and always has been. Sub in Deloitte/Accenture/Booz or whatever.

You're thinking of Bain & Co

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I never said that I disagreed with matriculation, just the numbers. I won't state why. No need to cuss. You've stated your opinion. That should be all.

If you live in FL and are worried about FL employment, then don't go to a FL school. Problem solved for you. How does that address OP's question. If OP is considering Stetson or Nova and has outside sources of income, then go to Stetson. If you disagree, then disagree and move along.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

flem wrote:Bain Capital is a top tier consulting firm and always has been. Sub in Deloitte/Accenture/Booz or whatever.

Ehhhhh

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

f0bolous wrote:
You're thinking of Bain & Co

I was, thanks.

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
flem wrote:Bain Capital is a top tier consulting firm and always has been. Sub in Deloitte/Accenture/Booz or whatever.

Ehhhhh

lol I couldn't think of the big one right now for some reason

Return to “Choosing a Law School”