Help! UF vs FSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beachy

New

Help! UF vs FSU

Post by beachy » Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Ive been accepted to both fsu and uf for this upcoming year. they will both be the same price (instate, no scholarships) so price isn't an issue. Im interested in public interest law and the public sector in general. I went to uf for undergrad so im familiar with the area and the school but I dont want to choose uf just because im comfortable...Id like some input on which school and why. Im so undecided its ridiculous, but I have to let UF know conclusively by monday.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Help! UF vs FSU

Post by Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 pm

--LinkRemoved--

PI + Gov: 15.9%

--LinkRemoved--

PI: 7.3%

Id go to Florida...

tuckerp

New

Post by tuckerp » Thu May 17, 2012 3:14 pm

The benefit to FSU is that you will have a chance to intern at a state agency of some type/the Capitol building... other than that I believe that the numbers will favor UF... my suggestion is to go to UF but spend a summer interning in an agency in Tallahassee. It's an advantage to apply to these jobs in Tallahassee as a UF student because all of the other applications are FSU Law students... it helps you to stick out being from UF, and there are a ton of UF alum in Tallahassee that love to hire gators when they get the chance, they just don't have many gator applicants.

With that said, I doubt that you'll look back in 10 years and say "I wish I would have decided differently." These are two good options.

akikoinu

New

Post by akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 7:57 am

I'm in the same boat and I'm having a hard time deciding too. Good luck with your decision. I think my problem might be that I really want to go to FSU but I'm not sure if I will regret my decision because of the difference in rankings.

beachy

New

Post by beachy » Fri May 18, 2012 9:14 am

akikoinu wrote:I'm in the same boat and I'm having a hard time deciding too. Good luck with your decision. I think my problem might be that I really want to go to FSU but I'm not sure if I will regret my decision because of the difference in rankings.
It really seems like the ranking difference is so small that its negligible, but that UF may have been viewed as a "better" school longer so its got more of a "good ol boys" reputation than FSU. That is just what Ive gathered. I think Im going to make my decision based on the fact that UF offers the option to get a joint degree in any masters program whereas FSU limits you to, like, ten. If you want to go into govt type stuff, the capital is a great resource at FSU that UF is not so accessible to. Tuckerp raises a really good point that one can intern in tally during the summer and still get the experience from the capital. I know a girl that I talked to at FSU said some people even commuted from UF to work in the capital, but that seems a little ridiculous to me. The people are generally nicer in Tally in my experience, but it does have more crime and the lower SES/indigent population is very mixed in with the students whereas in Gville its more sequestered. If you have a deep desire to work in the Tally/Gville area specifically, Id choose just based on that. If you lack that desire, based on what you want to study. UF has great tax law and both have good enviro law programs.

These are just the things that Im considering, hope they give you a little perspective from someone debating the same decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

akikoinu wrote:I'm in the same boat and I'm having a hard time deciding too. Good luck with your decision. I think my problem might be that I really want to go to FSU but I'm not sure if I will regret my decision because of the difference in rankings.
This would be stupid. The rankings are meaningless.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:44 am

While many would argue that the schools are interchangeable, I chose UF over FSU because UF does have the larger alumni base, and is considered slightly more prestigious... and I preferred the campus/facilities/city over Tally/FSU. I received a slightly larger scholarship from FSU, but not enough to pull me away from UF.

All of that said, both are good schools that give you a solid shot at employment in Florida.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 am

A quick thought: With UF undergrad & FSU law school, you'll have strong connections with both alumni groups. Plus, you'll be able to wear football jerseys that are half Gator/half 'Noles. :D

akikoinu

New

Post by akikoinu » Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am

beachy wrote:
It really seems like the ranking difference is so small that its negligible, but that UF may have been viewed as a "better" school longer so its got more of a "good ol boys" reputation than FSU. That is just what Ive gathered. I think Im going to make my decision based on the fact that UF offers the option to get a joint degree in any masters program whereas FSU limits you to, like, ten. If you want to go into govt type stuff, the capital is a great resource at FSU that UF is not so accessible to. Tuckerp raises a really good point that one can intern in tally during the summer and still get the experience from the capital. I know a girl that I talked to at FSU said some people even commuted from UF to work in the capital, but that seems a little ridiculous to me. The people are generally nicer in Tally in my experience, but it does have more crime and the lower SES/indigent population is very mixed in with the students whereas in Gville its more sequestered. If you have a deep desire to work in the Tally/Gville area specifically, Id choose just based on that. If you lack that desire, based on what you want to study. UF has great tax law and both have good enviro law programs.

These are just the things that Im considering, hope they give you a little perspective from someone debating the same decision.
Yeah, thanks! I got the same impression about UF and it's rep. Since a lot of people doing the hiring are of the age group that are used to UF being a bit more prestigious in Florida, I'm not sure how much this could affect a job search. Right now I'm about 60/40 in favor of FSU. If the perception of prestige were swapped I would be 100% for FSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 am

Probably more public interest opportunities available in the state capitol--especially during the academic year.

beachy

New

Post by beachy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Probably more public interest opportunities available in the state capitol--especially during the academic year.
I know both UF and FSU have PI clinics but that FSU's is newer. I dont know too much past that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”