What's the skinny on BYU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: What's the skinny on BYU?

Postby 2014 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 pm

An athiest, short-short loving female married to a recovering alcoholic packing up and moving to Provo.

That could make a good TV series.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu May 17, 2012 4:21 pm

2014 wrote:An athiest, short-short loving female married to a recovering alcoholic packing up and moving to Provo.

It would have to be a sitcom.

Map Cat

Postby Map Cat » Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
2014 wrote:An athiest, short-short loving female married to a recovering alcoholic packing up and moving to Provo.

It would have to be a sitcom.

Then I want Kristen Wiig to play me.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm

So does going to BYU give you a boost with mormon interviewers, even if you aren't mormon. Also, since you're paying the non-mormon tuition rate, do you have to follow mormon rules?

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 pm

mattviphky wrote:So does going to BYU give you a boost with mormon interviewers, even if you aren't mormon.

Yes, very much so, it shows you are tolerant to "old fashion" values, like honest, integrity, and clean language.

Also, since you're paying the non-mormon tuition rate, do you have to follow mormon rules?

Yes, there is no way around the BYU rules, except that you have to get caught. Every year you have to sign a form saying that you will follow the rules and if you don't follow the rules you can get dismissed. Regular Church attendance isn't required for non-Mormon Christians though.

/in my opinion some of the rules are just plain silly and so they are rarely enforced especially at the law school. They keep the rules there to put people in the right direction.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Thu May 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Going to a law school where caffeine is banned seems baffling.

Caffeine isn't banned.

If you take good care of your body, eat right, sleep right and exercise properly you actually don't need caffeine. For the rest of the people, 5 hour shots, Mountain dew, and energy drinks are the norm.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
southwick wrote:A clarification on tuition: ineptimusprime is right that non-Mormon students don't get the full benefit of low tuition, but even the non-Mormon rate is $21,900 a year--less than half of most comparable schools.

Not that I endorse this course of action, but you could always "convert" and get baptized just for the tuition break. Totally shady and unethical, but then again, it would also be shady and unethical to sign the honor code and still have a live-in boyfriend -- caught or not.

It would be shady, I'd consider it lying to God and so a big moral problem, and I believe that you have to be in good standing for years. At least a year maybe 2 or 3. I can't remember the rule anymore. Don't do that.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Map Cat wrote:
lisjjen wrote:If you like that area, have you considered the University of Utah or Colorado Boulder? I grew up in the Mountain West so I definitely love the area as well.

Mormons are extremely nice people, but the whole no caffeine thing would drive me crazy and I don't even drink coffee very much. I have met a few lawyers from BYU and Idaho even has a congressman who went to law school there. Have you visited at all?

CU-Boulder is my top choice for the location. Also considering Utah and DU. I even thought about Wyoming, just to give you an idea of how badly I want the Mountain West.

I haven't visited, I was just curious if it was an actual religious school or just a school with an affiliation (like Tulane). I don't know if I could handle no alcohol for three years, though.

Well, you could drink. Just not on campus. I don't know if that's against the rules, I'm just saying what you could do as a grown up. I'd call and ask if they would throw you out for drinking on your own time off campus.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Map Cat wrote:
lisjjen wrote:If you like that area, have you considered the University of Utah or Colorado Boulder? I grew up in the Mountain West so I definitely love the area as well.

Mormons are extremely nice people, but the whole no caffeine thing would drive me crazy and I don't even drink coffee very much. I have met a few lawyers from BYU and Idaho even has a congressman who went to law school there. Have you visited at all?

CU-Boulder is my top choice for the location. Also considering Utah and DU. I even thought about Wyoming, just to give you an idea of how badly I want the Mountain West.

I haven't visited, I was just curious if it was an actual religious school or just a school with an affiliation (like Tulane). I don't know if I could handle no alcohol for three years, though.

Well, you could drink. Just not on campus. I don't know if that's against the rules, I'm just saying what you could do as a grown up. I'd call and ask if they would throw you out for drinking on your own time off campus.

Yes.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu May 17, 2012 7:10 pm

eandy wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Map Cat wrote:

Yes.

They most certainly will discipline you. Not sure if they'd throw you out.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu May 17, 2012 7:12 pm

eandy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
southwick wrote:A clarification on tuition: ineptimusprime is right that non-Mormon students don't get the full benefit of low tuition, but even the non-Mormon rate is $21,900 a year--less than half of most comparable schools.

Not that I endorse this course of action, but you could always "convert" and get baptized just for the tuition break. Totally shady and unethical, but then again, it would also be shady and unethical to sign the honor code and still have a live-in boyfriend -- caught or not.

It would be shady, I'd consider it lying to God and so a big moral problem, and I believe that you have to be in good standing for years. At least a year maybe 2 or 3. I can't remember the rule anymore. Don't do that.

I sense sarcasm here. This has nothing to do with lying to God. You'd be lying to the school. Whether God exists or not is irrelevant to this being unethical.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Going to a law school where caffeine is banned seems baffling.

Caffeine isn't banned.

If you take good care of your body, eat right, sleep right and exercise properly you actually don't need caffeine. For the rest of the people, 5 hour shots, Mountain dew, and energy drinks are the norm.

Props to those who could make it through law school w/o caffeine. I do not think I could (at the very least it would be a pretty big struggle).

Is it then just coffee (and other hot drinks like tea) that's banned? That's curious to me because I think many of the studies that show the positive health effects of caffeine have shown links to daily coffee drinking as producing some of the best results (in favor of showing the health benefits of caffeine).

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Brigham Young? Moar liek Bring Em Young (so they can be brainwashed).

Am I right?!?!?!

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 pm

SaintFond wrote:Brigham Young? Moar liek Bring Em Young (so they can be brainwashed).

Am I right?!?!?!

That isn't very nice or true. Sounds like you are either ignorant or willfully bigoted.

Postby 2014 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Given the prevalence of mormon missions interrupting UG, I imagine that BYU actually has one of the older law school student bodies.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Caffeine isn't banned.

Props to those who could make it through law school w/o caffeine. I do not think I could (at the very least it would be a pretty big struggle).

Is it then just coffee (and other hot drinks like tea) that's banned? That's curious to me because I think many of the studies that show the positive health effects of caffeine have shown links to daily coffee drinking as producing some of the best results (in favor of showing the health benefits of caffeine).

I gave up caffeine about 12 years ago. After a short time adapting, I've never looked back
Caffeine is evil

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
SaintFond wrote:Brigham Young? Moar liek Bring Em Young (so they can be brainwashed).

Am I right?!?!?!

That isn't very nice or true. Sounds like you are either ignorant or willfully bigoted.

As much as I find Mormonism to be kind of goofy, I agree. This thread is 100% NOT about shitting on other people's religious beliefs.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm

dingbat wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Caffeine isn't banned.

I gave up caffeine about 12 years ago. After a short time adapting, I've never looked back
Caffeine is evil

TBF, studies do show it has some pretty nice health benefits for long-term users.

Too also be more fair, I probably consume way too much caffeine on a daily basis and I just really can't imagine giving it up forever.

wsj74

Postby wsj74 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 pm

OP: Go to the U ... you're a 30 min drive from seven world-class ski resorts, 15 min from the airport and plus, Salt Lake City is great. I think when people from the east coast think of Denver, what they really have is Salt Lake in mind. All of this & not to mention the diversity that has come in since the Olympics.

And to the guy who loves Logan and hates everything south of Kaysville ... do you fuck sheep, or something?

Map Cat

Postby Map Cat » Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 pm

lisjjen wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Am I right?!?!?!

As much as I find Mormonism to be kind of goofy, I agree. This thread is 100% NOT about shitting on other people's religious beliefs.

+1

Map Cat

Postby Map Cat » Thu May 17, 2012 7:53 pm

wsj74 wrote:OP: Go to the U ... you're a 30 min drive from seven world-class ski resorts, 15 min from the airport and plus, Salt Lake City is great. I think when people from the east coast think of Denver, what they really have is Salt Lake in mind. All of this & not to mention the diversity that has come in since the Olympics.

And to the guy who loves Logan and hates everything south of Kaysville ... do you fuck sheep, or something?

Yeah, I love SLC too. But BYU is so cheap and ranked sky high. Plus, the network...

Edit: and just so we are all clear, I would absolutely not fake being Mormon to get cheaper tuition. I would be ecstatic to pay the non-Mormon rate; I'm not greedy.
Last edited by Map Cat on Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 pm

lisjjen wrote:As much as I find Mormonism to be kind of goofy, I agree. This thread is 100% NOT about shitting on other people's religious beliefs.

+1
While the lifestyle is probably a polar opposite of how I grew up, I almost envy it

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm

BYU is the greatest if you are mormon, but if you aren't then attendance would be stupid IMO. The benefit is bestowed on Mormans-- Mormans are hiring these Morman grads at BYU... It is like, literally a cult.

However, some of the nicest people on the planet are in that cult, so whatevs.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Go to DU on full-ride or close to. They have been offering really nice scholarships.

wsj74

Postby wsj74 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Map Cat wrote:
wsj74 wrote:OP: Go to the U ... you're a 30 min drive from seven world-class ski resorts, 15 min from the airport and plus, Salt Lake City is great. I think when people from the east coast think of Denver, what they really have is Salt Lake in mind. All of this & not to mention the diversity that has come in since the Olympics.

Yeah, I love SLC too. But BYU is so cheap and ranked sky high. Plus, the network...

Sure, and maybe I am biased since I was raised in SLC and went to UG @ the U. So, I have always considered Provo the cesspool of the world. But if you can handle it for 3 years, by all means.

Sort of tangentially related, if you're interviewing at firms in the Salt Lake market be prepared for questions like "How did you finish UG so quickly?" or "Do you speak any foreign languages?" All thinly-veiled ways of asking if you served an LDS mission, or if you're a member of the church. Of course, you may not be exposed to this since you're a female, but just a heads up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”