What's the skinny on BYU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TaipeiMort

Re: What's the skinny on BYU?

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 am

fanmingrui wrote:My apologies, kalvano. Most of us (Mormons) aren't as abrasive as this guy. Perhaps he's an elaborate flame?

We both know he is not. There are some Mormons that are just made to not mingle with people outside of the bubble. It doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that they have a worldview that makes it hard to have peer relationships with people that aren't like them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 am

Whatever floats your boat, religion-wise. It's not for me, but pretty much every Mormon I've ever met has been super polite and very friendly. They put Canadians to shame.

It still doesn't mean that BYU (or any overtly religious school) is the right fit for someone like OP. No matter how welcoming they may be, someone like the OP will never be a member of "the club" and will never reap the real benefits of going to BYU, while at the same time setting herself up for a pretty miserable three years.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 pm

kalvano wrote: someone like the OP will never be a member of "the club" and will never reap the real benefits of going to BYU, while at the same time setting herself up for a pretty miserable three years.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
kalvano wrote: someone like the OP will never be a member of "the club" and will never reap the real benefits of going to BYU, while at the same time setting herself up for a pretty miserable three years.

Witty gif fail, 2/10 would not watch again

fountino

Postby fountino » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm a Mormon, BYU Grad, and have spent the better part of 25 years within 5 miles of campus. I would have a hard time telling someone who is not LDS or at least not from an area with lots of Mormons that they would enjoy their time there. I'm a card carrying member and I didn't apply because I can't stand half the BYU Law students I've met. In their minds it's Yale, Harvard, BYU, then everyone else... It is an incredibly cut throat environment with very average career opportunities in a feeble market. Mormons are great :lol: but the overt religious influences are far more pronounced in Provo then they would be at ND, SMU, etc. Be warned.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm

fountino wrote:I'm a Mormon, BYU Grad, and have spent the better part of 25 years within 5 miles of campus. I would have a hard time telling someone who is not LDS or at least not from an area with lots of Mormons that they would enjoy their time there. I'm a card carrying member and I didn't apply because I can't stand half the BYU Law students I've met. In their minds it's Yale, Harvard, BYU, then everyone else... It is an incredibly cut throat environment with very average career opportunities in a feeble market. Mormons are great :lol: but the overt religious influences are far more pronounced in Provo then they would be at ND, SMU, etc. Be warned.

TITCR

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 pm

fountino wrote:I'm a Mormon, BYU Grad, and have spent the better part of 25 years within 5 miles of campus. I would have a hard time telling someone who is not LDS or at least not from an area with lots of Mormons that they would enjoy their time there. I'm a card carrying member and I didn't apply because I can't stand half the BYU Law students I've met. In their minds it's Yale, Harvard, BYU, then everyone else... It is an incredibly cut throat environment with very average career opportunities in a feeble market. Mormons are great :lol: but the overt religious influences are far more pronounced in Provo then they would be at ND, SMU, etc. Be warned.

This.

bailar4life

Postby bailar4life » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Have any of you guys actually gone to BYU Law. or are you saying this based on local experience, and undergrad perceptions of BYU?
My understanding while ultra conservative, there are a lot of different perspectives at the law school, and they are more liberal than undergrad. Last year they had the head of the gay rights organization come speak at the school. Not sure what it all consisted of, but that is a pretty bold move for a school like BYU.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed May 30, 2012 1:55 am

fountino wrote:I'm a Mormon ..have spent the better part of 25 years within 5 miles of campus...... but the overt religious influences are far more pronounced in Provo then they would be at ND, SMU, etc.

You know this about other Universities how? You read it on the internets? :roll:

fountino

Postby fountino » Wed May 30, 2012 10:33 am

MormonChristian wrote:
fountino wrote:I'm a Mormon ..have spent the better part of 25 years within 5 miles of campus...... but the overt religious influences are far more pronounced in Provo then they would be at ND, SMU, etc.

You know this about other Universities how? You read it on the internets? :roll:

You're right. No substantive research has ever been conducted through internet sources. It's impossible that people with first hand experience at a given university could ever describe the impact of religion at a church sponsored school online for others to research. Clearly, the only person who could ever be considered a credible source on the topic would have taken the time to earn a JD from BYU, ND, and SMU consecutively. Only then will we be able to gather meaningful insight on the subject of religious influences at law school.

Really though, do you truly think that schools like ND, SMU, etc. have a stronger religious influence in the cultures, policies, or overall experience at their respective programs than BYU does?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Why do people include SMU with religious schools? It's not religious at all. I'm not sure where that perception comes from.

fountino

Postby fountino » Wed May 30, 2012 2:07 pm

kalvano wrote:Why do people include SMU with religious schools? It's not religious at all. I'm not sure where that perception comes from.

It's probably a common misconception stemming from SMU being founded by and bearing the namesake of a Christian denomination. But that's my point; religion at BYU permeates the classroom and the culture more than other schools that may have historical or financial ties to other religions. I'm going to SMU this fall BTW.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Awesome. If you have questions about SMU, PM me (again).

Religion at SMU is a non factor. It's the complete opposite of BYU.

justcap

Postby justcap » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 am

MormonChristian wrote:

edit: sorry for my rude comment.
Last edited by justcap on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 pm

justcap wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Please, just go away. Like others have said about you, you are a creep. And you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad. You know you're having the opposite effect of what you're trying to do?

I wish you were above name calling. I find that childish.

If you would like to attack my arguments, I encourage you to do so. Otherwise flame off!

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:06 am

justcap wrote:Please, just go away. Like others have said about you, you are a creep. And you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad. You know you're having the opposite effect of what you're trying to do?

Justcap you are in a CULT. Your response and TapieMort's responses are indicative of someone in a cult. You want your cult members to put on a certain image to the outside world. When they don't you shun them

justcap wrote:just go away

You ridicule and try to marginalize them

justcap wrote:you are a creep

How dare they speak their mind, or worse how dare they speak their mind and it not be what you want them to say.

Because it is all about the carefully crafted image you Mormons portray to others.

justcap wrote:you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad

I have read your posts, you are all about portraying this Stepford wife image to others. Someone in your cult steps out of line and is snarky and you have to put them back in their place.

That is the allowed exception in cults.

Mormonchristian is probably the only minority Mormon on TLS. Apparently that minority stepped out of line and you are the white man that needs to put him in his place.

I am willing to bet that in your cult, every minority has some white man he eventually has to answer to. Am I wrong?

Please don't reply about how I hate Mormons. I emailed yours, TapeiMort's and MormonChristian's and a couple other posts to my Mormon colleagues and friends to help prove all along what I have been telling them. You are mainstream Scientology.
Their replies are that YOU give Mormons a bad name. I think you all do.

Seriously, take a year or two off of your cult. Learn to be yourself. It is possible.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:
justcap wrote:Please, just go away. Like others have said about you, you are a creep. And you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad. You know you're having the opposite effect of what you're trying to do?

Justcap you are in a CULT. Your response and TapieMort's responses are indicative of someone in a cult. You want your cult members to put on a certain image to the outside world. When they don't you shun them

How dare they speak their mind, or worse how dare they speak their mind and it not be what you want them to say.

Because it is all about the carefully crafted image you Mormons portray to others.

justcap wrote:you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad[/quote

I have read your posts, you are all about portraying this Stepford wife image to others. Someone in your cult steps out of line and is snarky and you have to put them back in their place.

Mormonchristian is probably the only minority Mormon on TLS. Apparently that minority stepped out of line and you are the white man that needs to put him in his place.

I am willing to bet that in your cult, every minority has some white man he eventually has to answer to. Am I wrong?

Please don't reply about how I hate Mormons. I emailed yours, TapeiMort's and MormonChristian's and a couple other posts to my Mormon colleagues and friends to help prove all along what I have been telling them. You are mainstream Scientology.

Seriously, take a year or two off of your cult. Learn to be yourself. It is possible.

If the subtext of your post is that we all need to treat everyone else more empathetically and spread kindness, awesome.

In reply to your remarkably self righteous attack on my religion, you should feel shame and seem pretty gross
L
I don't know what life experience you claim gives authority to divine the bases of my belief, and attempt to rip down something I hold sacred.
I am actually kind of curious why you want to grind this axe _

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:

justcap wrote:you're just making Mormons and BYU look bad

Disgusting. Bet you did real well on the LSAT with that sort of rational and enlightened mind.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 am

TaipeiMort wrote:In reply to your remarkably self righteous attack on my religion,

You are in a CULT. Read what self righteous comments YOU made about someone in your religion who stepped out of your Stepford line.

Seriously, take a year or two off of your cult.

You can be yourself. Diversity is a good thing.

You won't feel the need to ridicule and shun those in your cult that don't conform to your Stepford ways.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:11 am

Whoa whoa whoa hold on guys! Lets not bash an entire group of people because you don't like one of their group members. Would you be saying the same things if he was jewish or gay or muslim? Probably not. Lets leave religion out of it. If you don't like him fine but lets not this a religion bashing board.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:In reply to your remarkably self righteous attack on my religion,

You are in a CULT. Read what self righteous comments YOU made about someone in your religion who stepped out of your Stepford line.

You won't feel the need to ridicule and shun those in your cult that don't conform to your Stepford ways.

Ugh. Repugnant. And no that comment isn't indicative of a cult. He made that comment because he realizes there are psycho bigots like you who take any opportunity to desparage his beliefs and community. Now go fuck yourself.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:

Newsflash: you're an asshole.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:

I don't know how to respond to this.

I really like my religion, appreciate diversity, and honestly don't know how you are making the gigantic assumptions you are making here. You don't sound intelligent. Is your hate for Mormorns more a religious thing? I'm guessing it is because you continuously use the word cult, and an atheist/agnostic would view all religions as foundationless.

Regardless of your reason, you need to reevaluate your religion or philosophical underpinnings of your beliefs or whatever-- they are making you are hater. I bet there is a lot you could learn from Mormons.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 am

I'm going to suggest that everyone take a breath and swing this thread back on topic, K?
(In other words, no more attacks on religious beliefs. It's Friday and my Ban Torch is itchy.)

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I'm going to suggest that everyone take a breath and swing this thread back on topic, K?
(In other words, no more attacks on religious beliefs. It's Friday and my Ban Torch is itchy.)

Can I also suggest that if the Mormons don't want people attacking their religion, they shouldn't use their religion to attack others on this thread, especially a minority?

It is very hypocritical and of course cult like.

just sayin'

I forgot to mention that my Master's Thesis was on group manipulation with a large section on cults.
Last edited by PolySuyGuy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”