Multiple seat deposits

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jinomas

Multiple seat deposits

Postby Jinomas » Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 pm

I was contacted today by an admissions dean from one of the three schools for which I have deposited seat money.

Apparently the list is out of those of us who have deposited to more than one school.

BmoreOrLess

Re: Multiple seat deposits

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

that sucks, what did they say?

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Wed May 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, that info was released yesterday, I think.

Jinomas

Postby Jinomas » Wed May 16, 2012 5:18 pm

He called me on my cell phone and left a message.

He told me he had the list. He told me which schools I have deposited to. He said he needs to know which school I plan to attend. He said he hopes it is his school, but he wishes me the very best regardless of my decision.

He then sent me an email to the same effect, but without the part about having the list or the other schools.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Jinomas wrote:I was contacted today by an admissions dean from one of the three schools for which I have deposited seat money.

Apparently the list is out of those of us who have deposited to more than one school.

LSAC informs the schools on May 15.

LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices wrote:Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Why did you deposit at multiple schools? I did it, but I was waiting to see if my house would sell. When I explained that, the school was fine with it, as a 1st deposit.

If you're multi-depositing on the 2nd deposit, they won't be very happy with you.

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Wed May 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Received the same call today. I deposited at one school which I was admitted to initially, then another after I was admitted off the wait-list. Basically told them I hadn't made up my mind yet but would by the second deposit deadline.

Jinomas

Postby Jinomas » Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Why did you deposit at multiple schools? I did it, but I was waiting to see if my house would sell. When I explained that, the school was fine with it, as a 1st deposit.

If you're multi-depositing on the 2nd deposit, they won't be very happy with you.

I am waiting to see if my wife gets a job offer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Jinomas wrote:
kalvano wrote:Why did you deposit at multiple schools? I did it, but I was waiting to see if my house would sell. When I explained that, the school was fine with it, as a 1st deposit.

I am waiting to see if my wife gets a job offer.

Explain that to the schools that called and give them a firm date by which you will let them know. They should be cool with that.

bmili

Postby bmili » Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 am

Last edited by bmili on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landla

Postby landla » Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 am

I made three deposits, told two of the schools myself, and asked for more scholarship. None of them are binding, so I didn't do anything wrong - just gave them a little more money in hopes of getting an increase in scholarship (which I did).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”