Debating whether to attend a school I have little interest..

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blameitonbuddy

Debating whether to attend a school I have little interest..

Postby blameitonbuddy » Tue May 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I had little direction/knowledge of the law school admissions process before taking the LSAT and beginning the application process-hence my current predicament. I took the February LSAT, and scored a 166 (which is a few points lower than my average score on practice tests with Princeton Review). I am graduating from UVA with a 3.49 cum in Government. However, I did not begin the application process until the spring of my 4th year. I did not realize I was putting myself at such a disadvantage until the denials began rolling in. While I am aware my stats are not stellar, I thought I would at least make it into one of the t20 school (I applied to UCLA, GW, Vandy, Minnesota...as well as Emory, Washington & Lee, and George Mason as a last resort). However, the only school I was accepted into was George Mason. I did not receive any scholarship money, and have little interest in GMU. I am debating whether I should re-take the LSAT and wait until next year, or attend GMU in hopes of transferring. I am also wondering whether or not my current stats would make me competitive for at least one t20 school should I choose to reapply this fall. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Debating whether to attend a school I have little interest..

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Damn I had those exact same stats when I applied last cycle. Retook the LSAT and am very happy with how things turned out. You should also retake. You only get to go to law school once, so you might as well put your best foot forward and give yourself the highest chance at success.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Wait, retake.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 15, 2012 9:04 pm

if you have little interest in the school you got into, wait a cycle and retake

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

blameitonbuddy wrote:I had little direction/knowledge of the law school admissions process before taking the LSAT and beginning the application process-hence my current predicament. I took the February LSAT, and scored a 166 (which is a few points lower than my average score on practice tests with Princeton Review). I am graduating from UVA with a 3.49 cum in Government. However, I did not begin the application process until the spring of my 4th year. I did not realize I was putting myself at such a disadvantage until the denials began rolling in. While I am aware my stats are not stellar, I thought I would at least make it into one of the t20 school (I applied to UCLA, GW, Vandy, Minnesota...as well as Emory, Washington & Lee, and George Mason as a last resort). However, the only school I was accepted into was George Mason. I did not receive any scholarship money, and have little interest in GMU. I am debating whether I should re-take the LSAT and wait until next year, or attend GMU in hopes of transferring. I am also wondering whether or not my current stats would make me competitive for at least one t20 school should I choose to reapply this fall. Thanks!

Retake! There is a huge difference between 170/3.5 and 166/3.5. Like a life-changing difference.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Retake or dont go.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue May 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeaaaaa, don't go. Never attend a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. And the TCR is retake. Choose your own adventure, bro.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 pm

northwood wrote:if you have little interest in the school you got into, wait a cycle and retake

Tcr. Retake.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:46 pm

just applying earlier would be a game changer, even if you don't score higher you would still get Emory and W&L likely with cash

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Retake! Study up for October and reapply while you wait for your score.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 25, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Even had you applied the first day applications came out you would probably be looking at the same scenario, you really need to do better on the LSAT to accomplish your goals. Definitely wait.

sandiego222

Postby sandiego222 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Definitely definitely definitely re-take. If you get a 169/170 you have a good shot at UVA ED (especially if you are a VA resident)

Don't settle for something you're not excited about. A few points higher can make a huge difference, as can the earlier application

Return to “Choosing a Law School”