Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan (54k) vs. NYU (Probably Sticker)

Michigan 54k
38
63%
NYU Sticker
22
37%
 
Total votes: 60

splitterstatus
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 am

Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby splitterstatus » Tue May 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I know there are a bunch of other topics with NYU vs. Michigan, I guess a lot of people just got off the waitlist. However, I would still like some info given my cicumstances. I'm from the south, go to college in a city with comparatively little opportunity. I'm interested in international and transnational law (inb4 you're not getting those jobs), and I only care about law school as a means to a good job. I don't care about quality of life, type of students, etc. Big Law or a prestigious government job are my goals. I got 54k from Michigan, nothing yet from NYU. I'm not expecting any money from NYU, and I am paying for the cost of attendance without any outside help. Which school should I go to? Is NYU really worth the extra tuition and cost of living? Will I have more options coming out of there? I want to work in the northeast or chicago btw. Thanks for any help. Feel free to be critical of my ideas.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Biglaw, generally +
International law, specifically +
want to work in the northeast +
want to have the option of prestigious government work =
NYU

splitterstatus
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 am

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby splitterstatus » Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for all the responses to the poll. Can someone who voted or is going to vote pls explain their choice of one over the other? I'd like to hear a bit of justification. THANKS!

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby Cartman » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Biglaw, generally +
International law, specifically +
want to work in the northeast +
want to have the option of prestigious government work =
NYU


^ What this guy said in terms of reasons. Congrats on NYU, enjoy the city!

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 4:44 am

Cartman wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Biglaw, generally +
International law, specifically +
want to work in the northeast +
want to have the option of prestigious government work =
NYU


^ What this guy said in terms of reasons. Congrats on NYU, enjoy the city!


Again, Cartman won't tell you that he desperately wants off the UMich WL. Don't make your decision based on his advice.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 am

I don't think NYU is worth the 54K + greatly increased CoL more than Michigan. At NYU you'll have a better shot at biglaw, but you'll be graduating with significantly more debt.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby hyakku » Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Also OP, consider that the CoL for NY is likely going to be $23-$30k depending on how frugal you are compared to michigan's $15-18k. The difference would be an additional $25 -35k over those three years most likely. Still, $80-100k might not be so bad to some people if you're already six figures in, but I don't know if I could justify going to NY for nearly $100k more.
Assuming you get big law at both, with interest that could equal a couple of more years of work before you could actually enjoy that salary. Hopefully you can negotiate some money from NYU. Good luck.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby 83947368 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:34 am

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

splitterstatus
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 am

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby splitterstatus » Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 pm

No need to apologize everything you say makes sense. I guess I use international law differently than most people. I don't just mean government or policy work, but international business law as well, which I have a connections to. Forgetting all the international stuff though, which school gives me the best chance at the highest paying jobs? And if it is NYU, then does the better opportunity warrant the extra 70k or so I'll have to pay to go there?

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Michigan with 54k vs. NYU sticker

Postby thelawyler » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 am

splitterstatus wrote:No need to apologize everything you say makes sense. I guess I use international law differently than most people. I don't just mean government or policy work, but international business law as well, which I have a connections to. Forgetting all the international stuff though, which school gives me the best chance at the highest paying jobs? And if it is NYU, then does the better opportunity warrant the extra 70k or so I'll have to pay to go there?


That's a call everybody has to make when they get there. Personally I think I would because I simply love NYC, but if I did not have a my particular affinity toward it, I would probably take Michigan.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest