SMU vs. U Arizona

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

U Arizona (Rogers) or SMU

Poll ended at Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:28 pm

U Arizona (Rogers)
No votes
Southern Methodist University
100%

Total votes: 9

boogienights110

SMU vs. U Arizona

Postby boogienights110 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm up in Colorado. Neither choice would be too far away from where my family lives. I'll be taking my wife and two kids. Arizona is rated better in US News, but the employment statistics indicate that the job prospects for SMU grads is significantly better than those in Arizona. Also, it appears Arizona has no bar reciprocity with other states, making more likely I'd be stuck in Arizona long term, which is not where I want to be, honestly.

kalvano

Re: SMU vs. U Arizona

Postby kalvano » Tue May 15, 2012 4:34 pm

If you don't want to be in Arizona, then don't go to school there.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue May 15, 2012 4:38 pm

kalvano wrote:If you don't want to be in Arizona, then don't go to school there.

This. UofA won't take you anywhere other than Tucson or Phoenix.

tliles

Postby tliles » Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 pm

gaud wrote:
kalvano wrote:If you don't want to be in Arizona, then don't go to school there.

This. UofA won't take you anywhere other than Tucson or Phoenix.

Pretty much the case, and I'd agree since you said you'd rather not be stuck in AZ long term. My mom went to UA, was offered a position with a Dallas firm a few years later, which she took, and currently works in Southern California. So, it's certainly possible to leave the state if you choose to, but it's my understanding that aside from a select few who manage So-Cal/Nevada positions directly out of school, it does take a couple years of in-state work.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am

OP: Your original post in this thread seems to answer your question:

1) You're concerned about bar reciprocity

2) Employment prospects are better from SMU

3) You do not want to remain in Arizona long-term.

The only factor that appears to be troubling you is that Arizona has a higher USNews ranking. This fact shouldn't have any significance in your decision, however.

Since you are married with two young children, then their concerns should be your concerns as well, therefore, it should be a family decision, in my opinion. Additionally, SMU has a part-time program which might be useful after your first year if you need to pick-up part-time work since you have a family to support. Not sure, however, whether or not a full-time student can transfer to part-time after completing the first year as a full-time law student.

Also, hopefully you & your family enjoy hot weather.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am

What debt will you take out to attend each

Return to “Choosing a Law School”