NYU vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or UVA

NYU
41
69%
UVA
18
31%
 
Total votes: 59

abccc
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:12 pm

NYU vs. UVA

Postby abccc » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 am

I am writing to get feedback on NYU vs. UVA?

I am not getting a scholarship at either school, but am actually lucky enough so that cost of living doesn't need to play a big role in my decision. I love both the south and NYC, having spent time in both places (not Charlottesville specifically, but I've only heard great things). I am most interested in Big Law, though not completely committed and not sure of where I want to end up either in terms of location. I am also highly considering doing a JD/MBA, if that should play a role in my decision (not sure if the joint-degree is better at one over the other?).

So, all things considered, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 15, 2012 1:58 am

If sticker at both, NYU. But try to negotiate with UVA they might kick in some money if you tell them you would much rather go to UVA if finances were right.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 am

At equal cost, NYU is TCR especially if you're interested in NYC biglaw.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:If sticker at both, NYU. But try to negotiate with UVA they might kick in some money if you tell them you would much rather go to UVA if finances were right.

This.

Also, NYU Stern is better than UVA's business school if you're serious about the JD/MBA.

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 am

First of all, don't get a joint JD/MBA. It is a waste of time. Pick law school or pick business school.

NYU and UVA have a similar reputation (USNWR be damned), but I can tell you that UVA is the much more enjoyable experience.

If you were a litigator, I would go to UVA because of its reputation in the DC market (which is the absolute best place to be a litigator!). Given that you're also thinking about a MBA, I assume you'd want to do corporate law. NYU would be better for that because of its New York firm connections.
Last edited by TheProsecutor on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 am

TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am

Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 am

TheProsecutor wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?

I can see your point a little bit since NYU has higher medians, but I doubt 2 questions on the LSAT really translates into different calibers of student bodies.

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 10:34 am

Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?

I can see your point a little bit since NYU has higher medians, but I doubt 2 questions on the LSAT really translates into different calibers of student bodies.


Oh, I can see why you asked the question now.

UVA is a party school and its law school is no exception. The culture of NYU is much different than the culture of UVA law. So a serious kid with a NYU mindset can probably do better at UVA than NYU on average. That being said, I don't want to paint a negative view of the kids at UVA because some of them will be bristow, scotus clerks and the like, it is just I think a greater percentage of UVA goes and chills out to some extent than at NYU.

abccc
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby abccc » Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 am

TheProsecutor wrote:First of all, don't get a joint JD/MBA. It is a waste of time. Pick law school or pick business school.



Thanks for all the responses, everyone. It is definitely a tough choice for me.

Not to get too off topic, but why is a JD/MBA "a waste of time?" Or rather, is there any instance in which it would be beneficial?

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 10:47 am

abccc wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:First of all, don't get a joint JD/MBA. It is a waste of time. Pick law school or pick business school.



Thanks for all the responses, everyone. It is definitely a tough choice for me.

Not to get too off topic, but why is a JD/MBA "a waste of time?" Or rather, is there any instance in which it would be beneficial?


If you wanted to get "in the door" of WLRK it would be beneficial. If you wanted to do law for a couple of years and then go into finance, a MBA might be a good look because employers would assume you're good at numbers. This is really at the margins though because moving over really is dependent on your contacts, firm practice area prestige, and how much you actually do understand. You can get there without the MBA. Similarly, a MBA is not going to help you go inhouse. What's going to help you is contacts, practice area, and firm clients.

If you wanted to go inhouse, but then move to the business side of a coproration, then a MBA could help signficantly, but not enough to justify another degree (or said cost).

Anectdotally, however, I know a number of guys who have done YLS/HBS or HLS/HBS thing and they don't regret it. Not a single one of them is a lawyer though...

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby quiver » Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?
TheProsecutor wrote:Oh, I can see why you asked the question now.

UVA is a party school and its law school is no exception. The culture of NYU is much different than the culture of UVA law. So a serious kid with a NYU mindset can probably do better at UVA than NYU on average. That being said, I don't want to paint a negative view of the kids at UVA because some of them will be bristow, scotus clerks and the like, it is just I think a greater percentage of UVA goes and chills out to some extent than at NYU.
Um, that's not really how it works. OP, don't factor this into your decision at all. I voted NYU since both are sticker and NYU has a slight leg up on UVA in biglaw hiring given its NYC placement. But I agree with what others said about trying to negotiate.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheZoid » Tue May 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?

I can see your point a little bit since NYU has higher medians, but I doubt 2 questions on the LSAT really translates into different calibers of student bodies.


IIRC, Vanwinkle transferred from UVA to Harvard and said the classes were virtually indistinguishable. So yea, I wouldn't base your decision off of this speculation.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Classes may be similiar, but employment options are not.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Two great choices.

Always get a joint JD/MBA if you have the aptitude & resources.

Interesting that OP loves both The South & NYC. Since you're paying sticker & are open regarding target market, NYU is the better choice because you'll need biglaw to pay off big debt (assumng that you need to borrow to pay for law school).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue May 15, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby pjo » Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?


This is one of the dumbest comments I've seen on here (unless you're just trolling). There is NO truth in this statement. In fact, many many people at UVA turned down NYU to come to UVA (just anecdotally, I've talked to more ppl that turned down NYU to come to UVA than any other T10).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:40 pm

@pjo: not sure, but I think that you misread the posts that you quoted.

abccc
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby abccc » Tue May 15, 2012 3:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Two great choices.

Always get a joint JD/MBA if you have the aptitude & resources.

Interesting that OP loves both The South & NYC. Since you're paying sticker & are open regarding target market, NYU is the better choice because you'll need biglaw to pay off big debt (assumng that you need to borrow to pay for law school).


Why is it a good idea to get JD/MBA? It seems the common sentiment around here is that it is actually not a good idea.

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 3:23 pm

pjo wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:If you're genuinely smart and work hard, you should be able to do better at UVA than NYU.

Source on this?


Common sense?


This is one of the dumbest comments I've seen on here (unless you're just trolling). There is NO truth in this statement. In fact, many many people at UVA turned down NYU to come to UVA (just anecdotally, I've talked to more ppl that turned down NYU to come to UVA than any other T10).


I don't understand how you comment makes sense. The only argument is that if you got into both NYU and UVA, you would, on average, do better at UVA than at NYU. Rationale: A number of the students at UVA self-select out of the competition.

Has nothing to do with where UVA or NYU kids choose to go to school, but the culture of the schools themselves. Incidentally, when I clerked, one of my co-clerks attended UVA and he said the same thing.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 pm

But don't you think lots of NYU students "self-select out of the competition"?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby bk1 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:I don't understand how you comment makes sense. The only argument is that if you got into both NYU and UVA, you would, on average, do better at UVA than at NYU. Rationale: A number of the students at UVA self-select out of the competition.

Has nothing to do with where UVA or NYU kids choose to go to school, but the culture of the schools themselves. Incidentally, when I clerked, one of my co-clerks attended UVA and he said the same thing.


You realize that partying and studying are not mutually exclusive things, right? I kicked my liver in the shins on a weekly basis but still bucked up when it came time for finals.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 3:37 pm

It may just be me, but I think the toughest schools would be like Cornell, GULC, and Vandy where there is a legit shot at biglaw but you have to scrap for it and all your competition is super smart.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:I don't understand how you comment makes sense. The only argument is that if you got into both NYU and UVA, you would, on average, do better at UVA than at NYU. Rationale: A number of the students at UVA self-select out of the competition.

Has nothing to do with where UVA or NYU kids choose to go to school, but the culture of the schools themselves. Incidentally, when I clerked, one of my co-clerks attended UVA and he said the same thing.


Unfortunately you have no evidence to prove this other than one anecdote, and neither you nor your co-clerk attended both schools.

TheProsecutor
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby TheProsecutor » Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:I don't understand how you comment makes sense. The only argument is that if you got into both NYU and UVA, you would, on average, do better at UVA than at NYU. Rationale: A number of the students at UVA self-select out of the competition.

Has nothing to do with where UVA or NYU kids choose to go to school, but the culture of the schools themselves. Incidentally, when I clerked, one of my co-clerks attended UVA and he said the same thing.


Unfortunately you have no evidence to prove this other than one anecdote, and neither you nor your co-clerk attended both schools.


Well of course not, but that's true for almost any comparison you make between schools beyond those which have raw numbers.

But if one was to choose between two schools that are similar in prestige, one of the primary considerations ought to be where can I perform better. Quality of the student body, culture of the schools, and a self-assessment of one's own strengths are important considerations.

Note that I did not tell the OP to choose UVA on this basis, but that on average it is probably easier to do well at UVA than NYU. Is that far fetched?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NYU vs. UVA

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 15, 2012 4:00 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:on average it is probably easier to do well at UVA than NYU. Is that far fetched?


I think so. UVA's medians are 3.86/170, while NYU's are 3.73/171. If anything NYU might be less competitive simply because it's easier to land a BigLaw gig from there.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aside and 3 guests