USC vs UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC or UT

USC
50%
UT
50%

Total votes: 20

topsch125

USC vs UT

Postby topsch125 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Everyone!

I am an international student and can't decide between USC and UT.

Some considerations:
- COA will be similar
- I am interested in IP and Tax law
- I'd like to eventually work in NYC or in the Silicon Valley area (for IP)
- Good internship opportunities and BigLaw are important
- National and international reputation is important

What do you all think?

Thank you.

Bronck

Re: USC vs UT

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 am

Neither school gives you a very good shot at NYC. They are very much regional schools (thus neither has much national or international reputation). I don't know much about placement into SV, but if I had to guess it won't be great from either school because of the previous point.

If you want NY biglaw, then retake and go to a T14.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 am

Bronck wrote:Neither school gives you a very good shot at NYC. They are very much regional schools (thus neither has much national or international reputation). I don't know much about placement into SV, but if I had to guess it won't be great from either school because of the previous point.

I agree with this.

That being said, if you had to pick between these two options, I would go USC here because it gives you better access to SF, has strong regional/national reputation, and Texas without any ties is scary.

Also, do you have a background in any hard sciences for IP stuff? That could make USC less scary of an option.

topsch125

Postby topsch125 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I have computer science background and some work experience.

Should I consider the economy of the two states? How will this affect job prospects? As everyone knows, Texas is doing well, while California is not.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Bronck wrote:Neither school gives you a very good shot at NYC. They are very much regional schools (thus neither has much national or international reputation). I don't know much about placement into SV, but if I had to guess it won't be great from either school because of the previous point.

I agree with this.

That being said, if you had to pick between these two options, I would go USC here because it gives you better access to SF, has strong regional/national reputation, and Texas without any ties is scary.

Also, do you have a background in any hard sciences for IP stuff? That could make USC less scary of an option.

The numbers don't bear out the entire picture. There's this concept of self selection happening. Hardly anyone from Texas wants to leave the state, let alone go to New York. The cost of living is way too high. The cost of living in Texas is dirt cheap. It's funny, as much as people on this site pay attention to money and whatnot, cost of living seems not to matter. It's weird to me. If it means taking a midlaw or smallLaw job in Texas over taking a biglaw job out of state, many Texas students would choose the midlaw or smallLaw job in Texas. I know because I was one of them. Also, Texas is not as regional as USC. Take a look at these Supreme Court Clerk placement numbers. The sample size is insanely small. But it still should give you a little idea of Texas' national placement power compared to USC's, especially given that USC has never been on this list since its inception.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ment.shtml

As for not having much national placement power, it sure is strange that I had some classmates who were not top of the class place all over the country. I don't have stats for you so I guess my observations mean nothing. All I can say is that ignorance is a dangerous thing. If our school is so regional, why do 60% of law firms participating in our OCI come from out of state? And why is it that most of these firms are biglaw? The main thing that people on this site do not realize is that everyone, especially those in Texas, does not want to leave the state of Texas. Not everyone chooses to go biglaw at Texas. I don't think you guys understand how cheap our cost of living is compared to other regions of the country.

Is Texas as national as other top law schools? Hardly. But I'm not saying it is. But is it regional for the most part? No it is not. Self selection makes it look more regional than it is. Texas comes across as regional because our legislature mandates that 65% of Texas seats be reserved for in state residents, hence, "Texas or bust" is the motto for most UT Law students.

All that being said, go to USC if you want to work IP. Austin is the primary market for IP in Texas. There are many IP firms in Houston, as well. However, this won't compare to California. If you go to USC, you have no chance of getting to New York. If you go to Texas, you have some chance, but it is not guaranteed. So, USC may be better for you after all because of California's IP industry prevalence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”