Hastings a good decision?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
masked kavana

Hastings a good decision?

Postby masked kavana » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm

In off the wait list with 21.5k per year.

Live in the bay area and was raised here. Plan to work here after finishing school. Have fiancé and baby (1 by the time I start).

Numbers: applied with a 2.4x/167 in early november now have a 3.33 because of retroactive withdrawal.

Non-URM Latino on reserve at Cornell (placed on it before the withdrawals took place :() and on the wait list at Harvard.

Not interested in big law - looking to do PI work (I know the myth, but I've worked at non-profits for most of my time in school)

Is this a good idea?

Doorkeeper

Re: Hastings a good decision?

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I mean if your family is in SF, you have a PI network in SF, you want to work in SF after school, and you're getting 21.5 per year...Hastings isn't too shabby. Do they have an LRAP at all? Does Hastings have in-state tuition?

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Hastings has in-state tuition (~$40000) and an LRAP which I'm not too familiar with but I'm sure requires IBR.

The LST numbers just scare the crap out of me.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Mon May 14, 2012 8:56 pm

You are still looking at over 100k of debt for a school in which half the class of '10 didn't have long term employment. And you'll have a child to support. Please don't do this.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 pm

masked kavana wrote:In off the wait list with 21.5k per year.

Live in the bay area and was raised here. Plan to work here after finishing school. Have fiancé and baby (1 by the time I start).

Numbers: applied with a 2.4x/167 in early november now have a 3.33 because of retroactive withdrawal.

Non-URM Latino on reserve at Cornell (placed on it before the withdrawals took place :() and on the wait list at Harvard.

Not interested in big law - looking to do PI work (I know the myth, but I've worked at non-profits for most of my time in school)

Is this a good idea?

Will you be living with family or paying for rent? I have a similar situation and am strongly considering Hastings.

Hastings has a great LRAP. If you actually find a PI job (may be easier said than done), you would only be paying about $40 bucks a month at $60k/year.

"For graduates who qualify, PICAP will pay 90 – 100% of the eligible IBR or ICR loan payments for up to 10 years (120 payments). After 10 years (120 on-time eligible loan payments) any remaining Federal loan balance will be forgiven by the Department of Education according to its Public Service Loan Forgiveness program."

--LinkRemoved--

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Mon May 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Will be living with my fiancé and baby. Our expenses aren't too bad and We wouldn't have to move so I think the COA is actually more than I need.

That said, The 100k figure is probably right for all 3 years..

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm

masked kavana wrote:Will be living with my fiancé and baby. Our expenses aren't too bad and We wouldn't have to move so I think the COA is actually more than I need.

That said, The 100k figure is probably right for all 3 years..

Yeah, $100k sounds about right.

Hastings and UC Davis are routinely criticized for their employment statistics, and rightfully so. About 40% of the graduates don't have long-term employment after 9 months. On the other hand, if you are committed to the Bay Area, I think they are a reasonable choice. The Bay Area legal market is in really bad shape, but at least half of Hastings and Davis grads are able to find work 9 months out. Do other schools (besides upper T14) really give you a better chance at working in Northern California? You'd definitely have more options, but they would probably be out-of-state....

It's going to be a gamble, but if you're 100% committed to staying local, it is a reasonable choice.
Last edited by onedavetoomany on Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Non-Discounted Cost
Class of 2015: $261,520
Class of 2016: $268,600
Resident Cost
Class of 2015: $230,137
Class of 2016: $236,275

I'm not sure how much that factors in the 5-10 percent tuition (2012: 40k resident, 2013: 46-47k) jumps every year considering the UC's system financial status and Hastings semi-private distinction. The scholarship loses value every year you are there with the large tuition increases. My guess is with living expenses, it is going to be significantly more than just 100k (especially when you consider interest accrues immediately during the time you are in school at 6.8 or 8.5 percent).

The only folks that are ever going to be able to pay that back are the public service folks on IBR or the folks at large firms. That accounts for about 28 percent of the class, what happens to the rest? 1/4 odds this investment makes sense. Pretty risky.

see:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... e_2012.pdf

"The state budget for the current academic year (2011-12) was enacted earlier this fall. Based
on the current-year funding level appropriated in the Budget Act, mid-year fee increases are not
being considered. However, the budget outlook for the State of California’s remains
unstable. Approved fee levels for both 2011-12 and 2012-13 are predicated on anticipated
levels of state support; if state funding is substantially reduced in either 2011-12 or 2012-13, a
further increase in student fees will need to be considered. Consequently, fees are subject to
change."

Then consider the 18 billion dollar shortfall just announced.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 am

masked kavana wrote:Hastings has in-state tuition (~$40000) and an LRAP which I'm not too familiar with but I'm sure requires IBR.

The LST numbers just scare the crap out of me.

You really should look into their LRAP in detail to help make this choice.

Also, if you have any friends doing PI in SF right now, you might want to ask them about the state of hiring, and get a feel for what the market may look like in 3 years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”