uci v. usc

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chen8406

Re: uci v. usc

Postby chen8406 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm

I feel like I'm in the exact same position as you socalorbust, only that USC offered me $20k, and I'm only planning on having a baby soon. I Have to decide by tomorrow...

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 am

I am admittedly biased toward UCI, but I will say either choice is a good one and no one could fault you for choosing USC.

Some things to think about in favor of UCI. I have an SA this summer (2L, non-diversity, from OCI). OC offices of firms are more family oriented than LA offices, and in my interviews commitment to OC was very important to the OC offices. The firm I am at went with had USC, UCLA and national students with callbacks and went with UCI. They really quizzed me on my OC commitment in my interview and I do think my answers helped me obtain the position.

Student housing here is very family oriented if you are placed in Verano or Palo Verde. There are playgroups, and kids are out playing all the time. There seem to be toys that just belong to all the kids in Verano that may have been left behind by former residents.

I do think you should have all the facts when making your decision and I will caution you to double check that childcare is actually free. Does your wife work and is it a decent paying job? If so you might have to pay the full price of childcare which is $1300 a month. My spouse works and we were not eligible for free or subsidized childcare.

In general though I love UCI. If you want to stay in So Cal, especially OC, I think UCI is a great choice. We have people in NY, Singapore, the Bay Area, etc. But for national placement I can't really say UCI would be better than USC. I'd be lying to say the alumni network isn't worth something. But what we lack in a network we have in a very attentive career services office, accessible and helpful professors and great staff in student services as well. And those who want placements out of state or out of the area are finding them. Really I don't think you can make a bad decision, either way you go.

FastLife

Postby FastLife » Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 am

Listen to what the dude with the Mugatu avatar pic thing is saying.

USC and UCI are not comparable, bruh. Pick USC. Pick the option that provides you with a secure future. Honestly, if you are considering what's best for your family, it's financial security and job security, which you will have if you are a Trojan.

Think smart, think long term, think SC.

tlsalltheway

Postby tlsalltheway » Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

That's right people. Choose the safe route. It's the best way to be exceptional!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 pm

tlsalltheway wrote:That's right people. Choose the safe route. It's the best way to be exceptional!

This is credited sarcasm. I turned down Yale because it was too safe and nobody exceptional ever came from there.

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm

tlsalltheway wrote:That's right people. Choose the safe route. It's the best way to be exceptional!

lol, yes, a recession is the perfect time to not choose the route with proven better outcomes.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 18, 2012 5:54 am

yes to the OP's original question is the clear and easy answer.

go to usc...or not. it's up to you if you want to extra unreasonable risks.

socalorbust

Postby socalorbust » Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Op here. just got uci bump to full scholly. what say you all? still usc or bust? or did my decision just get harder?

flem

Postby flem » Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm

socalorbust wrote:Op here. just got uci bump to full scholly. what say you all? still usc or bust? or did my decision just get harder?

So you're looking at 60-70K of debt at UCI (assuming you're financing living expenses) v 150K plus at USC?

If you're not biglaw or bust, UCI.

socalorbust

Postby socalorbust » Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm

flem wrote:
socalorbust wrote:Op here. just got uci bump to full scholly. what say you all? still usc or bust? or did my decision just get harder?

So you're looking at 60-70K of debt at UCI (assuming you're financing living expenses) v 150K plus at USC?

Def not biglaw or bust. and i will only need about 15 a year to make ends meet. so i am starting to feel good about uci

flem

Postby flem » Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

socalorbust wrote:Def not biglaw or bust. and i will only need about 15 a year to make ends meet. so i am starting to feel good about uci

UCI for a total COA of 45K is a great deal.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 pm

flem wrote:

I agree with this now

Return to “Choosing a Law School”