Staying on the East Coast: Schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
peelem

Staying on the East Coast: Schools?

Postby peelem » Sun May 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello! I am from rural Vermont and currently attend a top-ranked Liberal Arts college in the Midwest.

I will be applying to law school in the fall and would like to live and practice on the East Coast. I have some internship experience in small government (Vermont!) and am very interested in public interest law. I am not interested in NYC, but might consider working in Boston. Since I don't see myself working in biglaw, keeping my debt low is an important consideration.

I anticipate a decent GPA (3.6+) and 165-170 LSAT.

Where would you recommend I look?

Thank you!!!

The Rover

Re: Staying on the East Coast: Schools?

Postby The Rover » Sun May 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Come back when you have real numbers. Until then enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Staying on the East Coast: Schools?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun May 13, 2012 2:04 pm

The Rover wrote:Come back when you have real numbers. Until then enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

+1

If you're very interested in public interest law, you would be best to attend a school with a good LRAP program. Generally, the higher-ranked a law school is, the better its LRAP program is (although the correlation is not perfect).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guide-to-lrap.html

It would be very, very difficult to manage a significant amount of debt on a public interest salary, so you should aim to use a combination of scholarship money and LRAP.

Also, keep in mind that public interest jobs are extremely hard to get (harder than big law), so study as much as you can for the LSAT, and aim for the best school possible.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”