Dozo ($54K) vs BLS (full) - PI/Govt bound

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For PI/Govt bound, which one?

Cardozo: $54K total
14%
Brooklyn: full tuition
86%

Total votes: 29

sd5289

Dozo ($54K) vs BLS (full) - PI/Govt bound

Postby sd5289 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Long story short, Brooklyn bumped me up to full tuition. I sent that to Cardozo which had previous matched Brooklyn's offer, and was told that there's no scholarship $$ left (that's what others on the forum have heard too, so I believe it's true). I'm 27, about to turn 28 this fall, and have been working in the field I intend on returning to for about 6 years (I started right after UG and moved up from there). That return is the DA's office here in NY. I previously said no to Fordham and Wake because they didn't give me very much and Wake would've just been a stupid decision in trying to get back to NY. I'm also thinking of trying for a Skadden fellowship or Equal Justice Works before the DA's office. Thankfully, I have many colleagues and E.D.'s of organizations I've worked for, or with, who are more than willing to go to bat for me to help give me an edge in an insanely competitive job. I also feel somewhat more confident because of my work experience (e.g. I've been administering a program directly partnered with the DA's office and police for the past several years now and I know the people) while still realizing that I can't eliminate all of the risk in the decision to go to law school.

I'm 99.9% positive I know the answer to this, but is there a single compelling reason to even consider Cardozo? The original schollys I received from both were a "top" 80% of the class stip, and I'm assuming this new offer from BLS is too though I'm waiting for the official award letter before I accept. I'd especially appreciate any New Yorkers with knowledge of the two schools in comparison. Everyone I've talked to has stated they are basically identical in reputation for what I intend to do.

JCFindley

Re: Dozo ($54K) vs BLS (full) - PI/Govt bound

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

From the research I have done they are peer schools. Top 80% is not a bad stip at all....

I cannot think of a reason to go to Cardozo at all here......

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, that was a decision that took all of 24 hrs to make (waiting for confirmation that the stip was top 80%). Thanks for all the votes kids!

Still, who on earth voted Cardozo? Someone from the admission staff?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon May 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Mind if I ask what #s got you full ride at Brooklyn?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”