Last one of these... please help me.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I attend?

Emory at $25,000 (cost of tuition) per year?
12
38%
Ohio State at $15,000 (cost of tuition) per year?
4
13%
Alabama at $7,000/free (cost of tuition) per year?
16
50%
 
Total votes: 32

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:25 am

Hello, everyone. Because I heard from a couple schools very late in the cycle, I am still having a conflict deciding where to go. I currently live in Ohio, and I have ties in both Ohio and Florida. I want to work in Florida when I graduate. Financial costs of attending school are extremely important to me.

I am trying to decide between Emory, the University of Alabama, and Ohio State. I received $20,000/year from Emory, making tuition alone approximately $25,000. However, I visited this school and I loved it. I could definitely see myself living and working in Atlanta. The University of Alabama gave me $23,000 per year, renewable by being in the top 40% (making tuition approximately $7,000 for me). However, if I change my residency to Alabama, my scholarship converts to an $18,000/year scholarship (making tuition free). If I am outside of the top 40%, my scholarship changes to $10,000 for my 2L and 3L. I have not visited Tuscaloosa, but I plan to do so next week.

Ohio State gave me a scholarship for $13,000/year, with a 2.0 stipulation. This brings tuition to approximately $15,000 for me per year.

UF did not award me a scholarship, and FSU gave me $20,000 for the first year, which still makes tuition $20,000 per year if I claim residency for 2L and 3L, since I am currently out of state. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am

Working in Florida from Alabama and Ohio will be tough. Emory may give you a shoot, but not a great shot. One of the Florida schools is probably the best bet to get you where you want to be, but UF at sticker is rough. Don't really know much about FSU.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby Samara » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 am

No great choices, but FSU for ~$100k seems manageable and your best choice, considering your goals and ties.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby Robespierre » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 pm

How much debt would you end up with at each of the five schools?

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Robespierre wrote:How much debt would you end up with at each of the five schools?


Emory: ~125,000$
OSU: ~60,000$
Alabama: ~35,000$
FSU: ~$100,000
UF: ~$130,000

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby flem » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm

You have a 4.0 and a 162. Why are you not retaking the LSAT?

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

flem wrote:You have a 4.0 and a 162. Why are you not retaking the LSAT?


I took it the maximum number of times

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby 2014 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd probably do Alabama. Solid reputation in the state and that's a really affordable price. If you don't keep the scholarship consider dropping out.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby top30man » Fri May 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Why don't you wait a cycle and Ed UVa day one. Lsn shows that they frequently take similarly numbered reverse splitters. It's better than any of these options.
If you go this year I'd go Ohio state.

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 pm

top30man wrote:Why don't you wait a cycle and Ed UVa day one. Lsn shows that they frequently take similarly numbered reverse splitters. It's better than any of these options.
If you go this year I'd go Ohio state.


Because I can't afford the 50k/year tuition at UVA and there's very very little chance I would get a scholarship there =/

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 pm

foreveryoungx01 wrote:Because I can't afford the 50k/year tuition at UVA and there's very very little chance I would get a scholarship there =/


So you're considering going 125K in the hole for Emory, which gives you a 25%ish chance of getting a good job, but not 200K in the hole for a 75% chance at a good job?

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:11 pm

flem wrote:
foreveryoungx01 wrote:Because I can't afford the 50k/year tuition at UVA and there's very very little chance I would get a scholarship there =/


So you're considering going 125K in the hole for Emory, which gives you a 25%ish chance of getting a good job, but not 200K in the hole for a 75% chance at a good job?


Emory is half the tuition price of UVA, but I definitely agree with you... I'm currently waitlisted at UVA for this cycle and keep writing them LOCI's so hopefully I can get in this cycle. For the record, I'm also very hesitant to choose Emory because of the price.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:14 pm

foreveryoungx01 wrote:
Emory is half the tuition price of UVA, but I definitely agree with you... I'm currently waitlisted at UVA for this cycle and keep writing them LOCI's so hopefully I can get in this cycle. For the record, I'm also very hesitant to choose Emory because of the price.


Emory isn't worth it at that price. I live in Atlanta now and I can tell you that for sure.

Ride dat UVA waitlist, otherwise I personally would go to Bama.

foreveryoungx01
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby foreveryoungx01 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm

flem wrote:
foreveryoungx01 wrote:
Emory is half the tuition price of UVA, but I definitely agree with you... I'm currently waitlisted at UVA for this cycle and keep writing them LOCI's so hopefully I can get in this cycle. For the record, I'm also very hesitant to choose Emory because of the price.


Emory isn't worth it at that price. I live in Atlanta now and I can tell you that for sure.

Ride dat UVA waitlist, otherwise I personally would go to Bama.


Thanks for the input!! Why don't you think it's worth it at that price? Just because of the job market after graduating from Emory?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

foreveryoungx01 wrote:
Thanks for the input!! Why don't you think it's worth it at that price? Just because of the job market after graduating from Emory?


Market in ATL is 140Kish. Roughly the top third of Emory kids are landing jobs that are worthwhile that will allow them to service 6 figure debt. Middle third is landing small practice making less than 60K a year. Bottom third is boned. ATL hiring is still down but getting better.

Peep this, employment info 9 months out of class of 2010

Too risky. There's a 65-70% you WON'T land a job that justifies a six figure cost of attendance.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby Robespierre » Fri May 11, 2012 2:07 pm

foreveryoungx01 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:How much debt would you end up with at each of the five schools?


Emory: ~125,000$
OSU: ~60,000$
Alabama: ~35,000$
FSU: ~$100,000
UF: ~$130,000


Oof, not great choices in a weak economy. OSU and Bama don't really make sense for FL yet still carry debt (and with Bama you could lose the scholly). As to Emory, tflem said it all. I'd say FSU for good placement in FL and heavy but not outrageous debt.

Going to OSU and staying in OH isn't an option? That would make a lot of sense.

Best of luck.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Alabama.

P.S. You can get Florida from Alabama.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Last one of these... please help me.

Postby Sandro » Sun May 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Alabama.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anonnonnon, packerboy31489 and 2 guests