UC Hastings v. UC Davis . Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings ($) v. Davis v. Vandy ($)

UC Hastings
48%
UC Davis
13%
Vanderbilt
39%

Total votes: 46

CAgirl

UC Hastings v. UC Davis . Vanderbilt

Postby CAgirl » Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm from CA and am 100% sure that I want to practice in CA. I wouldn't mind leaving the state for three years if I am positive I can come back to CA with a great job. That being said, I know Vanderbilt isn't "Top 14" so it might be a risk.

Money isn't a large issue for me as I am able to finance law school. However I would pay in-state tuition at UC Hastings (scholarship money) & at UC Davis (Sticker Price). I also have some money at Vanderbilt.

Right now, I'd ideally like to do BigLaw, but I am not 100% set on that.

Please let me know your thoughts! :)
Last edited by CAgirl on Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

moneybagsphd

Re: UC Hastings v. UC Davis . Vanderbilt

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 pm

CAgirl wrote:Right now, I'd ideally like to do BigLaw, but I am not 100% set on that.

If you graduate with that much debt, you will have to do biglaw.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 pm

I voted Hastings, though I expect for it to come third in the voting process.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 am

Hastings and Davis are peer. Therefore you go to the one that you got the most money from and that you would enjoy the most. It sounds like Hastings wins on that front.

Now to Hastings vs. Vanderbilt. Since you know that you want to return to California, I would be cautious of going to Vanderbilt. I know it's not strictly a southern school, although it largely is, but I would be worried about it's ability to get you back to California if you weren't in the top 20-30% of your class. Then again, you're not getting biglaw out of Hastings past the top 20-30% of your class either (without connections).

Ultimately, I would go for Hastings, but I think a compelling case can be made for Vandy so long as it really is able to get you back to California at the same grade range as Hastings can get you biglaw.

Also, is UCLA or USC not in the picture?

CAgirl

Postby CAgirl » Fri May 11, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks for all of the input everyone, I really appreciate it! :)

I definitely agree with you Doorkeeper, and my main decision is between Hastings & Vanderbilt. Again, financing law school is not a big concern for me because I have family money to do so. So my biggest concerns are coming back to CA and quality of life during law school.

Thoughts?
Last edited by CAgirl on Mon May 14, 2012 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plastir

Postby Plastir » Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 pm

If you want to get a job in california, go to law school in california. More alums = more jobs.

UC Davis & UC Hastings are both very good; my (very good) associate went to the former, I to the latter.
My opinion: if you want a college campus, & a pretty, rural environment, a small comfortable, school, to work in Sacramento or the Valley, go to UCD. You will receive a solid, albeit more limited, legal education in a pleasant environment.

If you don't mind an urban campus on the edge of an iffy neighborhood, want access to
a very broad range of courses in cutting edge (intellectual property, bio-life law, 4 kinds of entrepreneurial law, etc), extensive clinical training- 18 clinics at last count-9 law journals, nearly 100 student organizations, a great many extracurricular forums & events, judicial clerkships, ethnic diversity and the opportunity to meet MLL students from around the world, go to UC Hastings. It produces more California judges, more California Big Firm managing partners, and more California Super Lawyers, by far, than any other law school, anywhere. UCH has a very strong international reputation; last year, 10% of the graduating class took jobs overseas.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 pm

I agree with staying in California due to stronger alumni networks. That said if you want quality of life go to UC Davis. Davis is a college town, the law school environment is welcoming, you will get to know everyone in the school due to its small size and you will be able to studying in an environment with less pressure. It is a laid back campus, specifically the law school, and a pleasant place to study.

Also, UC Davis is ranked higher and the current CA Supreme Court Chief Justice is a UC Davis grad.

However both are excellent schools. For the most part Hastings and Davis students will be competitive for jobs anywhere in CA.

Hastings is often described as being filled with gunners and there is significant added stress due to its poor location and poor community environment. (ie - more commuter type school)

However, if there is a track/clinic/coursework that you absolutely are dying to work on/in, then that might be the deciding factor for which school you take.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Starscream15 wrote:I agree with staying in California due to stronger alumni networks. That said if you want quality of life go to UC Davis. Davis is a college town, the law school environment is welcoming, you will get to know everyone in the school due to its small size and you will be able to studying in an environment with less pressure. It is a laid back campus, specifically the law school, and a pleasant place to study.

Also, UC Davis is ranked higher and the current CA Supreme Court Chief Justice is a UC Davis grad.

However both are excellent schools. For the most part Hastings and Davis students will be competitive for jobs anywhere in CA.

Hastings is often described as being filled with gunners and there is significant added stress due to its poor location and poor community environment. (ie - more commuter type school)

However, if there is a track/clinic/coursework that you absolutely are dying to work on/in, then that might be the deciding factor for which school you take.

IMO Davis is a shithole. I get the "college town" sentiment but that's really because there isn't anything else to do in the area so most of the residents are students. That is, you would be insane to live there if you weren't going to school.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 am

TheRedMamba wrote:IMO Davis is a shithole. I get the "college town" sentiment but that's really because there isn't anything else to do in the area so most of the residents are students. That is, you would be insane to live there if you weren't going to school.

I'm guessing you haven't actually lived in Davis. There are at least a dozen decent bars, lots of great restaurants, and - shocker - Davis isn't actually in the middle of nowhere. We're a Sacramento suburb, and SF isn't that far either.

OP, Hastings and Davis are both fantastic schools. I'd go to the one which will allow you to graduate with the least debt.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 am

calilaw wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:IMO Davis is a shithole. I get the "college town" sentiment but that's really because there isn't anything else to do in the area so most of the residents are students. That is, you would be insane to live there if you weren't going to school.

I'm guessing you haven't actually lived in Davis. There are at least a dozen decent bars, lots of great restaurants, and - shocker - Davis isn't actually in the middle of nowhere. We're a Sacramento suburb, and SF isn't that far either.

OP, Hastings and Davis are both fantastic schools. I'd go to the one which will allow you to graduate with the least debt.

How is Davis a shithole? It's not the most exciting environment, I agree. But when you consider the cost of living, the laid back atmosphere, and the fact that you're close to Sac, SF, Oakland, and Tahoe it really is an ideal place to be a law student. You can literally get out of class at 9am and be on the slopes in Tahoe by 11am. Compare that to living in the Tenderloin and attending Hastings...

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 am

CAgirl wrote:I'm from CA and am 100% sure that I want to practice in CA. I wouldn't mind leaving the state for three years if I am positive I can come back to CA with a great job. That being said, I know Vanderbilt isn't "Top 14" so it might be a risk.

Vandy JD = TN, GA, FL, NY, D.C., and CA

Hastings JD = CA (mainly northern)

Vandy isn't as "regional" as some people may think. In fact, it's one of four southern schools that somewhat bucks the region trend - UVA, Duke and Tulane being the other three. UVA and Duke are understandable because they are top-10 schools. Tulane has this wierd, unexplainable history of national placement and lay prestige that seems to defy logic. But it is real, regardless of its current ranking. Not saying Tulane is anywhere near as good as the others. Go to Vandy, even if you want Cali. If you don't, you will likely regret it.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 am

Systematic1 wrote:
calilaw wrote:

How is Davis a shithole? It's not the most exciting environment, I agree. But when you consider the cost of living, the laid back atmosphere, and the fact that you're close to Sac, SF, Oakland, and Tahoe it really is an ideal place to be a law student. You can literally get out of class at 9am and be on the slopes in Tahoe by 11am. Compare that to living in the Tenderloin and attending Hastings...

It comes down to whether you'd rather live in a city or not. As a city person, I couldn't imagine living full time in a college town, even if it is only ~1.5 hours away. Also, I have lots of friends that go to Tahoe from Sf over the weekend, being an hour and a half closer isn't that much more of a benefit. It just comes down to what kind of environment you want.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 am

ilovesf wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:
calilaw wrote:

It comes down to whether you'd rather live in a city or not. As a city person, I couldn't imagine living full time in a college town, even if it is only ~1.5 hours away. Also, I have lots of friends that go to Tahoe from Sf over the weekend, being an hour and a half closer isn't that much more of a benefit. It just comes down to what kind of environment you want.

I still don't see how this makes Davis a
shithole

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 15, 2012 3:02 am

I never called Davis a shit hole.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 am

ilovesf wrote:I never called Davis a shit hole.

My bad, mixed you up.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 pm

well, for one, it literally smells like a hole filled with cow shit

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:well, for one, it literally smells like a hole filled with cow shit

You're right, I'd much rather smell the poverty stricken streets of the Tenderloin. :roll: :roll:

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:well, for one, it literally smells like a hole filled with cow shit

You're right, I'd much rather smell the poverty stricken streets of the Tenderloin. :roll: :roll:

how long does it take to get out of the tenderloin to any of the numerous gorgeous locations all over San Francisco?

I actually laughed out loud when an earlier poster attempted to refute the notion that Davis is in the middle of nowhere by citing its proximity to Sacramento. Seriously? Have you ever been to Sacramento?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Systematic1 wrote:You're right, I'd much rather smell the poverty stricken streets of the Tenderloin. :roll: :roll:

Yeah, shame on those people for being poor. Summon the armies of gentrification to remove them from your sight immediately. #gentrification #twitter

how long does it take to get out of the tenderloin to any of the numerous gorgeous locations all over San Francisco?

8 blocks to the cable cars and Bloomingdale's by foot, or one subway stop away via the subway line that stops one block away from UC Hastings. :-D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, my advice to the OP is to go to Hastings if she wants to work in the San Francisco area, or to go to Davis if she wants to work in Sacramento.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:You're right, I'd much rather smell the poverty stricken streets of the Tenderloin. :roll: :roll:

Yeah, shame on those people for being poor. Summon the armies of gentrification to remove them from your sight immediately. #gentrification #twitter

8 blocks to the cable cars and Bloomingdale's by foot, or one subway stop away via the subway line that stops one block away from UC Hastings. :-D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, my advice to the OP is to go to Hastings if she wants to work in the San Francisco area, or to go to Davis if she wants to work in Sacramento.

The logical consequence of this, because no one in their right mind would prefer to work in Sacramento than SF, is go to Hastings.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 18, 2012 5:49 am

OP, if you want biglaw i would strongly consider a retake.

if you are willing and confident, realize you have to be in the top 10-15% to even have a shot at big law from hastings/davis.

of the three choices, i'd go to hastings without question (i made this same decision last year while considering similar schools). if you have any questions about hastings, you can ask or pm me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”