UChicago 30K vs. USC 105K

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
murrrie

Re: UChicago 30K vs. USC 105K

Postby murrrie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What specifics ? "Want to work in LA & hate the cold" ?

lawl.

UPDATE: USC just offered me a full tuition guaranteed. I e-mailed UChi about it and am still waiting to hear back but I don't think that they generally match scholarships and besides, USC isn't really considered a peer school.

UChicago still the better choice? I know that I have a better chance of getting a "good job" after Chicago, but I would also have to and stay in it for 15+ years, whereas... Well, you know where that train's going.

Plus I'm still wait listed at Berkeley and Columbia. It may seem obvious to some of you but I can't stop thinking about astronomical loan repayments. I think I'm losing my mind.
Last edited by murrrie on Fri May 18, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Rothman? So you have guaranteed 1L summer job at Skadden?

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Bronck wrote:Rothman? So you have guaranteed 1L summer job at Skadden?

No, I WISH.

A different scholarship, and tuition only.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue May 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh, ok. Definitely makes it a tougher decision. Do you live in LA now? Would you have to pay for cost of living?

Chicago certainly gives you a higher likelihood of getting a good job and a higher likelihood of getting a most prestigious job. But little to no debt from USC with the goal of working in LA doesn't sound bad either.

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 pm

RIGHT?!?! I keep going back and forth.

Yes and yes, I would still have to pay cost of living for either school.

I could theoretically live at home but that just sounds like hell--and law school is already hell.

I think the flying back and forth from LA to Chicago would also be in a pain in the ass, although not having to drive in Chi might compensate for that.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I would choose USC with a full ride.

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Dany wrote:I would choose USC with a full ride.

You went to U of C, right?

Why do you say that?

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 pm

murrrie wrote:

Why do you say that?

Yeah I'm a 1L at UChicago. I just don't think law school is worth $200k. Especially one that's not YHS.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Yea, I was solidly in Uchicago camp, but with full ride I think that USC has the edge. UChi will likely get you a big time job somewhere and USC will likely get you something in SoCal, with a chance at a big time job there. Take your choice, both good, but if you would be happy with a good chance and a life in SoCal, I'd choose USC. You will still have a lot of the same opportunities and thats a ton of money.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue May 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Yea, I was solidly in Uchicago camp, but with full ride I think that USC has the edge. UChi will likely get you a big time job somewhere and USC will likely get you something in SoCal, with a chance at a big time job there. Take your choice, both good, but if you would be happy with a good chance and a life in SoCal, I'd choose USC. You will still have a lot of the same opportunities and thats a ton of money.

I was very pro-Chicago earlier, but I agree with this.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue May 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Dany wrote:
murrrie wrote:

Why do you say that?

Yeah I'm a 1L at UChicago. I just don't think law school is worth $200k. Especially one that's not YHS.

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:53 am

I think I knew in my gut that USC was the way to go but I needed more validation. I'm going to give myself the weekend to call it in (and give U of C time to respond to my request) but it's pretty much in the bag.

Thanks to everyone who replied; you're a godsend and it's made this decision-making process easier. Not bad for my first post. :)

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Didn't read the other posts so if this is repetitive I'm sorry. As to you not thinking you'd get into Booth...I know for med students (former roommate) at UChi who want to do the MD/MBA they were told by the B-school admissions office that as long as they got a a certain score on the GMAT they were an autoadmit into the program. I forget what the number was but it was below their average GMAT score. Perhaps they have the same sort of rule for JD students wishing to do the MBA. I doubt the admissions office would tell you that until you are actually taking law classes but maybe talk to current students who are pursuing the JD/MBA.

Regardless, I'd vote USC. Money and location...

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 pm

You would have to be insane to turn down that kind of money, especially when it's from a damn fine school and guaranteed. Enjoy USC. Congrats.

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:Didn't read the other posts so if this is repetitive I'm sorry. As to you not thinking you'd get into Booth...I know for med students (former roommate) at UChi who want to do the MD/MBA they were told by the B-school admissions office that as long as they got a a certain score on the GMAT they were an autoadmit into the program. I forget what the number was but it was below their average GMAT score. Perhaps they have the same sort of rule for JD students wishing to do the MBA. I doubt the admissions office would tell you that until you are actually taking law classes but maybe talk to current students who are pursuing the JD/MBA.

Regardless, I'd vote USC. Money and location...

Um, that's news to me. Autoadmit, really? I've heard the opposite--that it's no less competitive...

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

TTTLS wrote:You would have to be insane to turn down that kind of money, especially when it's from a damn fine school and guaranteed. Enjoy USC. Congrats.

I would feel insane to turn down that kind of money.

I also feel insane turning down what kind of opportunities going to Chicago would give me.

I lied; I haven't decided and still don't know what to do... In the meantime, waiting for UChicago's reply to my scholarship inquiry.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 pm

murrrie wrote:Also, thoughts on JD/MBA? Why do some of you advise against it?

I spoke to a recruiting manager at a V25 firm who told me that a top MBA is seen on pretty much the same level as a leadership role of a club at your law school. He advised against paying ~$80k for that.

It sounded ridiculous to me and I'm sure some TLSers will feel the same way since he agreed that you'd be more networked and could think more like their corporate clients. However, the way he put it is that dealing with clients and being a good corporate lawyer aren't the same skills as those required to get an MBA. Furthermore, getting an M7 MBA (e.g. Booth) would mean that you have broader exit options. You know how law firms are worried about "connections" to their city during OCI since they don't want you to leave? An MBA basically gives you the option to leave the whole industry and this V25 recruiter said that he has seen plenty of JD/MBAs leave after a few years to go into business/finance. This is a sword that cuts both ways since it may be difficult to find a business executive position with your MBA, depending on prior work experience, and you've potentially put doubt in a legal recruiter's mind. This fact, in his mind, mitigates any potential benefit of a JD/MBA to the level of a leader in a student club in law school since he can't completely ignore it/he still respects the business education from a great school.

I thought it was an interesting perspective. Maybe it was unique to this one guy since I haven't had the opportunity to speak to multiple recruiting managers. I'd love to hear if this opinion is crazy since I am also considering pursuing a JD/MBA (now I've pretty much decided to wait until my early-30s to get an MBA if I hate the law so I can have some real work experience under my belt).

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
murrrie wrote:Also, thoughts on JD/MBA? Why do some of you advise against it?

This is a sword that cuts both ways since it may be difficult to find a business executive position with your MBA, depending on prior work experience, and you've potentially put doubt in a legal recruiter's mind. This fact, in his mind, mitigates any potential benefit of a JD/MBA to the level of a leader in a student club in law school since he can't completely ignore it/he still respects the business education from a great school.

I thought it was an interesting perspective. Maybe it was unique to this one guy since I haven't had the opportunity to speak to multiple recruiting managers. I'd love to hear if this opinion is crazy since I am also considering pursuing a JD/MBA (now I've pretty much decided to wait until my early-30s to get an MBA if I hate the law so I can have some real work experience under my belt).

All good points--and I feel the same way as you right now. I think I'll have a better idea of what I want after working a few years; if it's still an MBA, I'll also have a better idea of what kind of business education I'd like to get.

Okay, UPDATE:

UChicago just offered 60K total.

USC full ride... Chicago 60K.... does this make a difference? About 5 minutes ago I was pretty set on USC.

Why am I a flip-flopper?!?!?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 pm

What would your total debt be at each school after scholarships?

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 am

murrrie wrote:
TTTLS wrote:You would have to be insane to turn down that kind of money, especially when it's from a damn fine school and guaranteed. Enjoy USC. Congrats.

I also feel insane turning down what kind of opportunities going to Chicago would give me.

I lied; I haven't decided and still don't know what to do... In the meantime, waiting for UChicago's reply to my scholarship inquiry.

I can't say I blame you. The first time I saw your thread, I thought to myself that it would take a full ride from USC before I would even begin to listen, were I in your position. Well, now you have it, but I still can't decide which way I think is the way to go. It hope UChicago sweetens its deal for you. Huge debt is awful, but there is quite obviously a big difference in reputation and portability between these two.

murrrie

Postby murrrie » Fri May 18, 2012 4:55 am

JasonR wrote:
murrrie wrote:

I can't say I blame you. The first time I saw your thread, I thought to myself that it would take a full ride from USC before I would even begin to listen, were I in your position. Well, now you have it, but I still can't decide which way I think is the way to go. It hope UChicago sweetens its deal for you. Huge debt is awful, but there is quite obviously a big difference in reputation and portability between these two.

UChicago's response to USC's full ride was to double their initial offer from 30K to 60K (or 20k/year)... Not sure what to do now, if I should speak to USC again or just make a decision... I mean, f*ck. Also, Berkeley just told me that my chances of being admitted in 2 weeks are very high. Should I even be thinking about Berkeley?

As far as how much debt I'd have with the scholarships, unsure of how to calculate that. Also unsure of how much summer associateship mitigates debt but without considering that and including living expenses, UChicago would still be about $150K in loans. USC = $60K max.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:09 am

If you want to work in LA, I'd probably go USC. Worst case scenario you are only around 60K in debt, and that is manageable even if you miss the biglaw boat (and based on USC placement numbers, you have a decent shot at biglaw 40 percent or so).

However, I would be scared that, according to this thread at least viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181723&hilit=c%2Fo+unemployment+data&start=25 over half the class at USC got undesirable employment. Again, worst case scenario you are only 60k in debt, so it's not terrible, but it is something to consider.

If you want to give yourself the best possible shot at the biglaw route, then Chicago wins, and with 60k its not a bad deal. Either way you're risking lower employment numbers or higher debt, so decide which one is more important. I don't think there is a wrong choice here. GL!

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 5:47 am

murrrie wrote:
JasonR wrote:
murrrie wrote:

UChicago's response to USC's full ride was to double their initial offer from 30K to 60K (or 20k/year)... Not sure what to do now, if I should speak to USC again or just make a decision... I mean, f*ck. Also, Berkeley just told me that my chances of being admitted in 2 weeks are very high. Should I even be thinking about Berkeley?

As far as how much debt I'd have with the scholarships, unsure of how to calculate that. Also unsure of how much summer associateship mitigates debt but without considering that and including living expenses, UChicago would still be about $150K in loans. USC = $60K max.

My bad for not reading the whole thread. Chicago's offer would definitely be enough to get me firmly back in their camp. I think the downside protection is worth that extra money. That's just me, but I'm probably less debt-averse than the majority when we're talking the T6. But I'd still wait to see what Berkeley says.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 18, 2012 6:09 am

damn OP, you're awesome. great problem to have.

if berkeley enters into the forray you'll really have an even harder decision to make.

as it stands, i really don't think you can go wrong either way with usc and chicago. i think it depends on how strongly you feel on living in CA/LA. chicago can get you back to socal, but usc will definitely keep you in socal (though you have a lesser chance at big law). with full tuition from usc, i personally would lean toward there (since i would never leave CA), but if you're more open to moving, i'd choose chicago.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

murrrie wrote:As far as how much debt I'd have with the scholarships, unsure of how to calculate that. Also unsure of how much summer associateship mitigates debt but without considering that and including living expenses, UChicago would still be about $150K in loans. USC = $60K max.

I'm always amazed by the people who are willing to take on tens of thousands of dollars of debt without really looking at the numbers. If I were you, I'd get to researching. You need to figure out how much debt you'll have from each school (don't forget that this includes interest that accumulates while you're in school), what your monthly payments will look like, and whether the employment prospects justify that debt for you. I would not take summer associate money into consideration, since that is far from guaranteed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”