Worth living at home and saving 20k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
booyaskeedaddy

Re: Worth living at home and saving 20k?

Postby booyaskeedaddy » Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

opposite of this. do not live at home your first (and only important) year. after 1L, live at home if you want.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 pm

booyaskeedaddy wrote:opposite of this. do not live at home your first (and only important) year. after 1L, live at home if you want.

This is an interesting option. You'll have the chance to get good grades without family interruption and make friends that you can keep when you relocate. Plus, doing this might allow you to minimize wasting money on a lease that runs through the summer by having all your stuff at home during internships.

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Band A Long wrote:
booyaskeedaddy wrote:opposite of this. do not live at home your first (and only important) year. after 1L, live at home if you want.

This is an interesting option. You'll have the chance to get good grades without family interruption and make friends that you can keep when you relocate. Plus, doing this might allow you to minimize wasting money on a lease that runs through the summer by having all your stuff at home during internships.

Do you think it would be hard to study if you are living with friends? Especially if they are not law students who are also studying all the time, this could be very distracting. The apartment you could share with your friends would probably be smaller, louder, and more fun than your parents' home. Unfortunately, those are all bad things for first-year law students. I say live at home for the first year. If you don't like it, then move out, but still consider a one-bedroom apartment or rooming with fellow law students.

Postby 1776 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Brassica7 wrote:
Band A Long wrote:

Do you think it would be hard to study if you are living with friends? Especially if they are not law students who are also studying all the time, this could be very distracting. The apartment you could share with your friends would probably be smaller, louder, and more fun than your parents' home. Unfortunately, those are all bad things for first-year law students. I say live at home for the first year. If you don't like it, then move out, but still consider a one-bedroom apartment or rooming with fellow law students.

I lived in a sorority house (22 girls), and a party house with 4 guys during undergrad, so I'm used to distraction. I study in the library, which helps me concentrate. I really can't do work where I live anymore, so I plan to utilize the library a lot. So, quiet roommates isn't a huge deal. My friends will either be working FT or attending grad school. They are big drinkers, which I'm fine with. It'd be nice to always have a drinking buddy, and the option to have people come over.

My freshmen year of UG was my favorite: I was living on my own for the first time, and meeting new people, in a new environment.

Moving out to a place on the bus line would extend my car's life (100k+ miles, need it last the next 3 years) also.

How much should I expect to make during summer internships? I ref soccer on the side, for cash (average of $200 a weekend), and thought I could use that for living expenses, books, and tuition/rent. Maybe I could cut that 20k down? If so, any insight on how much I could cover from my summer earnings (I know it depends on the internships, and that they are very competitive, but a ballpark of the range would be great).

I never went to grad school...so what is the first year experience for law students socially?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I have trouble meeting new people, which is probably one of the reasons I chose to go to school close to my friends. Thanks for the insight. In UG, I no way in hell was going to commute or attend a nearby school. I don't regret that at all.

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am

1776 wrote:How much should I expect to make during summer internships? I ref soccer on the side, for cash (average of $200 a weekend), and thought I could use that for living expenses, books, and tuition/rent. Maybe I could cut that 20k down? If so, any insight on how much I could cover from my summer earnings (I know it depends on the internships, and that they are very competitive, but a ballpark of the range would be great).

What rank school are you going to attend? Most people work for free their first summer of law school (intern with public defender, legal aid, etc.), but the more prestigious your law school, the better the chances of landing something paid. Also, some schools have funds to provide stipends for students working in non-paying positions. The better the school, the higher the chance this exists.

Summer jobs at law firms can pay up to $31,000. There are a few of these for 1Ls (but you often have to be a top student at a top school) but they are more common for the second summer. I don't know how familiar you are with rankings/employment statistics, but most people at Harvard can get one of these jobs their second summer, while almost no one going to TTT/TTTTs gets one. Small firms might also hire students for the summer and pay $10/hour or so.

In short, the pay varies between $0 and $3,100 a week. Without knowing what school you go to, it is hard to guess which end of this spectrum you will likely encounter.

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 am

From everything you've read, picture finals week at school. Then imagine all the stress that comes it. Then imagine your parents are there.

If you're alright with that, then live at home. +1 if your mom is a good cook and it's a spacious house where you can have alone time to study and masturbate.

Postby 1776 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:11 am

Brassica7 wrote:
1776 wrote:How much should I expect to make during summer internships? I ref soccer on the side, for cash (average of $200 a weekend), and thought I could use that for living expenses, books, and tuition/rent. Maybe I could cut that 20k down? If so, any insight on how much I could cover from my summer earnings (I know it depends on the internships, and that they are very competitive, but a ballpark of the range would be great).

What rank school are you going to attend? Most people work for free their first summer of law school (intern with public defender, legal aid, etc.), but the more prestigious your law school, the better the chances of landing something paid. Also, some schools have funds to provide stipends for students working in non-paying positions. The better the school, the higher the chance this exists.

Summer jobs at law firms can pay up to $31,000. There are a few of these for 1Ls (but you often have to be a top student at a top school) but they are more common for the second summer. I don't know how familiar you are with rankings/employment statistics, but most people at Harvard can get one of these jobs their second summer, while almost no one going to TTT/TTTTs gets one. Small firms might also hire students for the summer and pay $10/hour or so.

In short, the pay varies between $0 and $3,100 a week. Without knowing what school you go to, it is hard to guess which end of this spectrum you will likely encounter.

TT which is the best school in my city and my third of my state. Employment stats close or better than some T1's. One competing TTTT. The reason it went down in ranking (t1 in 2007) was based on spending per student, not employment or placement. Decent range for wages, IMO. Not a Harvard.

31k?! I'd be able to cover tuition and CoL! That would be incredible.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”