George Washington OR apply again next year for Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lauca81

George Washington OR apply again next year for Georgetown

Postby lauca81 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 am

Last Feb I decide to apply for a LLM because I quit my job for study for the Italian Bar Exam that will be held this July.

So leaving in august for a LLM would be perfect both if I pass or not the Bar.

Obviusly as I decide only in Feb 2012 that I wanted to attend an LLM in fall 2012 I had very little to time to make my application and take the TOEFL.

Results: a bad late application and a TOEFL score of 90.

I applied various Universities and some of them accepted me (PennState -with scholarship-, American University, USD), but the most important rejected me, above all Georgetown and NYU.

Fortunatelly, George Washington first rejected me, than called me to have a phone interview and I got in.

I believe that if take my time and send an early application next year I have chances of getting in Georgetown or even NYU for fall 2013.
However, I have got already an admission at GWU for fall 2012.
So the question is: should I wait one year (that maybe could be lost if I do not find a new job after the Bar Exam in July) or should I accept GWU admission offer?
Does GULC or NYU worth a year waiting when I could waste no time and attend GWU?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: George Washington OR apply again next year for Georgetown

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Why do you want a US LLM? Do you want to work in the US?

From what I've heard, it's very difficult to work in the US with a foreign law degree and a US LLM - many firms only hire US JDs, and others have a strong preference for JDs. If that's the case, you would certainly be best to wait, since a higher-ranked school (like NYU) would give you a much better chance at employment. Many Americans with JDs from GWU fail to get good jobs, so your prospects would be awful with only a GWU LLM.

Generally, hiring in the US depends heavily upon the prestige of the degree-granting institution. NYU and Georgetown are in a completely different class than GWU.

I have also heard that firms will only consider foreign candidates with perfect written and spoken English, so that might be a further issue.

Hopefully somewhere here knows more about this.

If you plan to return to Italy, no one here will know anything useful about whether it would be best to go to GWU or wait, since we don't know about how hiring works in Italy.

lauca81

Re: George Washington OR apply again next year for Georgetown

Postby lauca81 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 am

Thanks for you answer.

I would like to stay in the US for a while, so I will be thinking on what you said.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”