LSU law vs. Stetson $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SunshineMagic

LSU law vs. Stetson $$$

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed May 09, 2012 3:57 pm

-Hypothetical Person with
-No ties to Baton Rouge/Nola whatsoever
-One parent from Tampa with lots of family connections(aunts/uncles/cousins) in tampa and around central florida.
-Not full ride to stetson but close (17-23k)per year good standing stip
-parents will pay cost of living at either
-gay
-beach person but I think I would like New Orleans
Not retaking or giving numbers please just tell me which one is the best option.
-I want to do med mal/insurance defense or prosecution
-can you get LSU instate second year?

flem

Re: LSU law vs. Stetson $$$

Postby flem » Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Stetson is a fine choice for you since the COA is right where it should be and it's in line with your career goals.

ggibelli

Postby ggibelli » Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm

stips on the stetson scholly?

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm

ggibelli wrote:stips on the stetson scholly?
good academic standing

ggibelli

Postby ggibelli » Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
ggibelli wrote:stips on the stetson scholly?
good academic standing

I think the way to go is with Stetson in that case.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 pm

flem wrote:Stetson is a fine choice for you since the COA is right where it should be and it's in line with your career goals.

Wow this means a lot coming from you! Thanks

flem

Postby flem » Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:Wow this means a lot coming from you! Thanks

I'm not unreasonable. It's the people that you'd be in law school with that are going to be 150K in the hole fighting over 40-60K/yr jobs that my advice is directed to.

Good luck.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 am

No ties to LA, do don't go to LSU

$55,800 estimated COA per year for Stetson. Subtract the higher end of what your scholarship is ($23k for 3 years), and you're looking at about $100k in debt. For Stetson.

Stetson is the less crappy option of 2 very crappy options. Going to Stetson would be very, very stupid. I'd say retake or don't go, but you're gonna go anyway. Good luck.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 am

If you have no ties whatsoever to LA, you are going to have a very difficult time getting jobs in LA. If you want to go back to FL, then better just to go to school in FL since at LSU you are going to have to take a lot of unnecessary classes in the civilian tradition that you will never use. And Louisiana residency is very very difficult to establish, so I wouldn't go to LSU expecting to get in-state tuition during 2L. It's doable, but very difficult.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:15 am

BriaTharen wrote:If you have no ties whatsoever to LA, you are going to have a very difficult time getting jobs in LA. If you want to go back to FL, then better just to go to school in FL since at LSU you are going to have to take a lot of unnecessary classes in the civilian tradition that you will never use. And Louisiana residency is very very difficult to establish, so I wouldn't go to LSU expecting to get in-state tuition during 2L. It's doable, but very difficult.

This. Louisiana is the definition of insular. "Who you know" is orders of magnitude more important than where you go to school. SULC grads with connections get great jobs that otherwise qualified LSU/Tulane grads from OOS don't have a shot at. Bonne chance.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 am

Geaux12 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:If you have no ties whatsoever to LA, you are going to have a very difficult time getting jobs in LA. If you want to go back to FL, then better just to go to school in FL since at LSU you are going to have to take a lot of unnecessary classes in the civilian tradition that you will never use. And Louisiana residency is very very difficult to establish, so I wouldn't go to LSU expecting to get in-state tuition during 2L. It's doable, but very difficult.

This. Louisiana is the definition of insular. "Who you know" is orders of magnitude more important than where you go to school. SULC grads with connections get great jobs that otherwise qualified LSU/Tulane grads from OOS don't have a shot at. Bonne chance.

SULC? Ehhh, no. Not so much. Loyola though, yes, even though it is ranked lower than both of those schools. But I've seen more OOS LSU/TU kids get clerkships over similarly qualified in-state SULC people.

Number one thing about coming to LA and trying to get a job there is having some reason why you want to stay here. Job market and hiring market is rough-- firms are hiring because they are looking for the people who are in for the long haul, not the kid who just wants a fun summer in New Orleans.

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 10, 2012 8:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
$55,800 estimated COA per year for Stetson. Subtract the higher end of what your scholarship is ($23k for 3 years), and you're looking at about $100k in debt. For Stetson.

He said his parents were paying living expenses, so it's more like 50-60K if I'm thinking correctly.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

flem wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

He said his parents were paying living expenses, so it's more like 50-60K if I'm thinking correctly.

Ah okay. Then Stetsons not so bad.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 am

BriaTharen wrote:
SULC? Ehhh, no. Not so much. Loyola though, yes, even though it is ranked lower than both of those schools. But I've seen more OOS LSU/TU kids get clerkships over similarly qualified in-state SULC people.

Number one thing about coming to LA and trying to get a job there is having some reason why you want to stay here. Job market and hiring market is rough-- firms are hiring because they are looking for the people who are in for the long haul, not the kid who just wants a fun summer in New Orleans.

This. Also OP, LSU isn't that good for New Orleans, so if you dream of working in New Orleans, Loyola-NO would be a far better bet for that goal even though it is ranked a lot lower than LSU.

Repartee16

Postby Repartee16 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

This. Also OP, LSU isn't that good for New Orleans, so if you dream of working in New Orleans, Loyola-NO would be a far better bet for that goal even though it is ranked a lot lower than LSU.

I'm from Alabama, and this question is asked out of pure curiosity and is not meant to be critical in any way. Why does LSU not have a good shot at NO? I would think that within the state Tulane grads can take their degree all over and LSU grads can generally do the same, except they don't have any portability out of the state (I've heard many of the Tulane grads leave LA). Can you explain why Loyola NO fares better than LSU? I know there are some schools here in Alabama, that prefer UA grads in Birmingham over the law school that is IN birmingham. Just curious because I'm going to throw an app out to LSU this upcoming cycle along with the others.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

Don't listen to this. This is wrong.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:12 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

Don't listen to this. This is wrong.

Not wrong from my experience/knowledge it's not. Loyola is decidedly better if and only if you want NOLA and nothing else. LSU, IMO, is better in general.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”