UMN vs WUSTL (need urgent help)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
louis315

UMN vs WUSTL (need urgent help)

Postby louis315 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 am

Hello All, :D
I am an international student interested in pursuing General LLM degree. I recently have been accepted into both schools. I know they are totally different geographically and climate wise. I don't mind the cold or humid. In addition, money is not an issue. which i should i go. my concerns: 1. JD program quality (if i do well in LLM, i plan to transfer to JD program at the same school) 2. JD job perspective ( i am aiming for small or med size firms) 3. minneapolis vs st louis (which city is more vibrant? safer?)

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Nova

Re: UMN vs WUSTL (need urgent help)

Postby Nova » Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 am

They are peer schools. Very similar in job prospects and quality. Both of which are good, since you are not big law or bust. Go to lawschooltransperancy.com to see detailed employment data from the class of 2010.

City wise, IMO, Mpls > STL. Mpls is a very safe, clean, place to live. STL is not bad or anything though.

Either way, both schools have legit JD programs.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 am

Visit if you can, to get a feel for the campuses and the cities.

I love St. Louis, but it seems like I have heard that Minneapolis is one of the best cities for young professionals or something like that, so it's probably nicer. It also gets really cold, so you may want to take that into account.

For the mid-law market, both are probably pretty similar. I think it just comes down to fit...which means visit if at all possible.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 am

WashUStL just announced their on-line LLM program for foreign lawyers so this thread may be designed to make others aware of that new venture.

If not a WashUStL plug, then these schools are equals with different locations.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 am

Sent you a PM!

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

Rover: The LLM chart probably refers to LLM tax programs & not to qualifying programs for foreign lawyers seeking bar membership qualification in the US.

LLM tax grads are recruited based on these LLM tax law degrees from NYU, Florida & Georgetown. Foreign lawyers often just need to join the NY or California state bar to transfer with their current employer.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 am

The Rover wrote:

I should draw a flowchart that asks if you read the post before replying

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Rover: The LLM chart probably refers to LLM tax programs & not to qualifying programs for foreign lawyers seeking bar membership qualification in the US.

LLM tax grads are recruited based on these LLM tax law degrees from NYU, Florida & Georgetown. Foreign lawyers often just need to join the NY or California state bar to transfer with their current employer.

or to practice law anywhere else (solo practitioner being the second most likely outcome; it's almost impossible to get hired without a JD)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”