W&M vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

W&M (8k/yr scholly)
58%
Cardozo (18k/yr scholly)
42%

Total votes: 12

boredtodeath

W&M vs. Cardozo

Postby boredtodeath » Tue May 08, 2012 3:43 pm

In at W&M with 8k/year scholly and Cardozo with 18k/year scholly. The stips on both seem easily doable (top 80% of class).

WLed at Fordham, Wake, W&L...still waiting to hear. Fordham top choice.

From NY, want to work and live in NYC when I graduate. Interested in IP.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

flem

Re: W&M vs. Cardozo

Postby flem » Tue May 08, 2012 3:47 pm

boredtodeath wrote:
From NY, want to work and live in NYC when I graduate. Interested in IP.

Cardozo, I guess.

Besides IP what are your career goals? GPA/LSAT?

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Tue May 08, 2012 4:07 pm

3.0/165

I want to shoot for biglaw, if only to be able to pay off a chunk of debt after graduation. Would like to eventually move to a boutique-type firm doing IP-related law. Would also be interested in clerking, but not a major focus.

I'm also considering working for a year at an advertising firm in NYC and retaking next cycle. Don't have an offer yet, but am far along in the interview process.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

boredtodeath wrote:I want to shoot for biglaw

Probably not gonna happen from here bruh

boredtodeath wrote:I'm also considering working for a year at an advertising firm in NYC and retaking next cycle. Don't have an offer yet, but am far along in the interview process.

Good luck with your job interview. This is the best course of action. These schools are incompatible with your goals and the outcome is too mediocre to justify how expensive they are at these prices.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm

At your most generous school, Cardozo, you're still looking at ~$165,000 cost + interest on loans even with the $18,000/year scholarship. Anyway to improve LSAT and/or GPA during your internship?

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Well, I'm graduating in 3 weeks so my GPA is pretty much stuck where it is (didn't really improve this semester).

If I ended up working and retaking in October for next cycle, I would obviously be studying over the summer. I think I could potentially hit low 170s as I did not prepare much for this year's test. I guess I would be shooting for bottom T14s and the USC/UCLA/Vandys, or much bigger scholarships from BC/BU/Fordham? Is this even worth it?

If I retake in June (more than likely not going to happen because I haven't been studying for the test), I obviously can't apply to better schools at that point, it would only be to try and secure $$ from schools I've already been accepted to, correct? This seems like a waste to me unless I got into Fordham off the wait-list and was able to secure a nice scholly from them with an improved LSAT.

I'm really only considering W&M at this point, and that's because their tuition and COL are so low. With the meager scholly they gave me, I put my COA at ~46k/yr. Is that still too much to take on considering the job prospects coming out of W&M?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm

boredtodeath wrote:If I ended up working and retaking in October for next cycle, I would obviously be studying over the summer. I think I could potentially hit low 170s as I did not prepare much for this year's test. I guess I would be shooting for bottom T14s and the USC/UCLA/Vandys, or much bigger scholarships from BC/BU/Fordham? Is this even worth it?

Yes.

boredtodeath wrote:I'm really only considering W&M at this point, and that's because their tuition and COL are so low. With the meager scholly they gave me, I put my COA at ~46k/yr. Is that still too much to take on considering the job prospects coming out of W&M?

Yes.

1) Retake in June or October
2) Reapply early
3) ???
4) Profit

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 pm

boredtodeath wrote:I'm really only considering W&M at this point, and that's because their tuition and COL are so low. With the meager scholly they gave me, I put my COA at ~46k/yr. Is that still too much to take on considering the job prospects coming out of W&M?

After interest you're in the hole for 160Kish. If you want to pay that off in a timely fashion (hint: you do!) - on a 10 year repayment plan you're looking at roughly $1700 a month.

William and Mary placed 22% of kids into firms of 100+ dudes or fed gigs, which is where you can pay this off in a timely fashion (roughly market paying salary, or market paying in smaller markets). Additionally, 21% had secured no long term employment of any sort, let alone JD required gigs. The remaining 60% of the class is likely making somewhere between 40-60K. On the high end of 60K, after taxes and shit, you're looking at 48K. Then, you're looking at 20Kish worth of loan payments a year, leaving you with $28,000 of take home pay.

That sucks.

So yeah, it's too much to take on given the likely outcome.

Employment data found here

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue May 08, 2012 6:03 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Well, I'm graduating in 3 weeks so my GPA is pretty much stuck where it is (didn't really improve this semester).

Understandable, you're certainly not the only one in this boat. Community college classes are an option for some but can be costly for minimal change in GPA, plus it sounds like you'll already be somewhat busy. Taking again in October gives you a solid window for bringing up your LSAT score in order to wrangle more scholarship money out of the schools you're already in range at.

I'm having trouble finding a lot of success stories w/o work experience on LSN. W&M's stats (LinkRemoved) don't appear terrible, but it's still a lot of money to be taking out.

How do you feel about getting more WE before reapplying? Not trying to discourage you just searching to see if you have more options than you mentioned earlier. Also, wait for more experienced posters to chime in on the thread since I'm pretty new to the game.

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Update: I just got into Wake and they offered me $20k/yr.

I don't really want to go to Wake because (a) their employment stats seem even worse than W&M, and (b) I don't really want to live and work in NC. Do you think their scholarship offer is enough to force either W&M or Cardozo to give me enough money to make going to either worthwhile? I honestly doubt either school will give me that much more, and I probably wouldn't go at all unless they did, but it's worth a shot right?

On another note; I'm still waiting to hear from Fordham on the wait-list. Assuming I'd be getting little to no money, is Fordham even worth it at or near sticker?

Thanks for any advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”