Michigan v Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where

Michigan (14K)
29%
Cornell (25k)
71%

Total votes: 31

Lacepiece23

Michigan v Cornell

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi all

Just got off the wait list from Michigan w/ an offer of 14k per year. Cornell has offered me 25k per year which puts them pretty close in COA. I believe that Michigan's tuition is like 47k a year while Cornell is 55k. Just wondering what you guys think. I visited Cornell and really liked it, I want Biglaw and I want to hopefully get back to Pittsburgh where I am from. No preference for a big law market other than Pittsburgh. My girlfriend of 2 years is going to Penn State next year so Ithaca would definitely be closer to her, but thats not a make or break. I'm just a little worried about Michigan's employment stats as of late. Cornell seems to always outpace them in big law as well.

SaintFond

Re: Michigan v Cornell

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm in a similar position, actually, although the T10 I am considering is currently not giving me any money.

I think you're right: Michigan's placement has been bad lately. Cornell's has also taken a hit, but it's still solid, especially relative to it's rank. In fact, if I am not mistaken, Cornell has often had placement rates disproportionate (favorably) to it's rank.

I'd probably do Cornell.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm

SaintFond wrote:I'm in a similar position, actually, although the T10 I am considering is currently not giving me any money.

I think you're right: Michigan's placement has been bad lately. Cornell's has also taken a hit, but it's still solid, especially relative to it's rank. In fact, if I am not mistaken, Cornell has often had placement rates disproportionate (favorably) to it's rank.

I'd probably do Cornell.

Yeah when I went to visit Cornell they told me that they believe their numbers will rebound back to around 65% for next year I haven't heard that much confidence coming from Michigan's end but then again I haven't visited yet.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Did you show Mich your Cornell offer yet, and vice versa?

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
SaintFond wrote:I'm in a similar position, actually, although the T10 I am considering is currently not giving me any money.

I'd probably do Cornell.

Yeah when I went to visit Cornell they told me that they believe their numbers will rebound back to around 65% for next year I haven't heard that much confidence coming from Michigan's end but then again I haven't visited yet.

Lol, 65% seems pretty unrealistic. Then again, two years ago they were what? In the top 5 for placement? That's pretty good, all things considered. Let's just hope that their placement last year wasn't indicative of a trend.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 pm

I had a similar situation 3 years ago (though no money from Michigan). I chose Cornell, and could not be happier with my choice. I would consider Biglaw opportunities a wash (I would believe what career services said about next year's numbers . . . as well as those for the following years), with your other factors pointing toward Cornell.

Bigsby

Postby Bigsby » Tue May 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Allz I know is make your decision quickly and notify the schools...some people are still waiting on Michigan waitlists :(

hahahah im just kidding, congratulations on two excellent schools! May I ask what your application numbers were like and what you think might've helped you get off the waitlist?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Cornell seems to be the clear choice. Congrats!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Bigsby wrote:Allz I know is make your decision quickly and notify the schools...some people are still waiting on Michigan waitlists :(

hahahah im just kidding, congratulations on two excellent schools! May I ask what your application numbers were like and what you think might've helped you get off the waitlist?

He is URM. Only URM's have gotten off Mich waitlist so far.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'd probably do Cornell.

Who said that?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:33 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'd probably do Cornell.

Who said that?

The head of career services when he talked to us at the ASD.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'd probably do Cornell.

Who said that?

The head of career services when he talked to us at the ASD.

Exactly.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue May 08, 2012 3:34 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'd probably do Cornell.

Who said that?

They will. I said it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm

KMaine wrote:I had a similar situation 3 years ago (though no money from Michigan). I chose Cornell, and could not be happier with my choice. I would consider Biglaw opportunities a wash (I would believe what career services said about next year's numbers . . . as well as those for the following years), with your other factors pointing toward Cornell.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm

I vote Cornell and think your OP is an accurate reflection on these two schools. I don't know the Pittsburgh market very well at all, but I'd be pretty surprised if Michigan had a better reputation/better placement than Cornell.

Enjoy the gorges bro.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:44 pm

For the people that voted Michigan is there any reason why? I saw 7 votes for Michigan, but everyone has been saying Cornell. Any reason why I should consider Michigan?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:For the people that voted Michigan is there any reason why? I saw 7 votes for Michigan, but everyone has been saying Cornell. Any reason why I should consider Michigan?

Michigan is stronger for midwestern placement (e.g., Chicago) and has generally done better when it comes to placing people into judicial clerkships. For purposes of securing a high-paying legal job in Pittsburgh, Cornell is at least as good (and frankly probably better) than Michigan. The people voting Michigan are probably overlooking your OP and voting solely based on rank and/or on their own personal interests.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Didn't vote at all, as the choice should be made on OP's subjective view of fit, since there's no empirical evidence that establishes a distinction ITT.

I just don't understand what the assertion being made ITT (that Cornell will place better into PGH) is based on. OP should think about contacting junior associates at PGH biglaw firms from each school and seeing if they would take ten minutes on the phone and talk about their experience getting back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”