BYU living in San Diego

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
davidfett

BYU living in San Diego

Postby davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

I'm planning on attending BYU, but I'd really love to live in San Diego eventually. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is this possible? And if this is possible, whats my best route to achieving this?

The Rover

Re: BYU living in San Diego

Postby The Rover » Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm

...are you LDS?

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 12:40 pm

...Yes? Will that affect my job prospects in San Diego?

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 pm

No, I was just wondering why you chose BYU if you want San Diego. Are you from San Diego? The best way is to network while you are in school. I doubt San Diego firms recruit at BYU so you are going to have to hustle and apply for every legal internship you can find in San Diego while at BYU, but be aware that preference for those jobs is going to go to UCLA, USC, etc. students

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Good to know. I got into TJSL and CalWestern, but looking at numbers from those schools scared me from applying to them, and the price tag @ USD is a little steep. I plan on hustling myself- just hoping I'll have a shot at living on the California coast!

skers

Postby skers » Tue May 08, 2012 1:05 pm

davidfett wrote:Good to know. I got into TJSL and CalWestern, but looking at numbers from those schools scared me from applying to them, and the price tag @ USD is a little steep. I plan on hustling myself- just hoping I'll have a shot at living on the California coast!

I'd take BYU over USD any day. I assume you're from SD and you can use some local contacts/the BYU Mormon network to get jobs. The Mormon network isn't a myth (I have family friend contacts who have already promised significant job help if I need it). Just keep in mind that there's a high chance that you'll end up in UT/Idaho.

davidfett

Postby davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Well- like a 60% chance that I'll be in UT or ID. Thats the placement numbers for the latest class in the Mountain West Region. 16% went to the Pacific region. I'd say those are pretty good chances for someone who plans on networking out there from day one.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 pm

The Mormon network is pretty substantial in San Diego, but there just aren't a lot of jobs to begin with.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Just from scanning the associates at the national firms in San Diego I remember noticing that BYU has a pretty strong presence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”