Power of Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bceagles182

Re: Power of Penn

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:11 am

rayiner wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Also... best location? Really?

Philadelphia is the last place on earth I want to spend three years.

T14 - Locations go like this.

Stanford>Berkeley>NYU>Columbia>GULC>Suburban/Rural College Towns (M, D, V, Y, H,C)>NU>Chicago>>>>>>>>>>Penn

GULC's location is shit. Rural college towns are shit. Ahead of downtown Chicago? You have to be fucking kidding me.

I didn't live in Georgetown but I lived close by. Personally, I thought DC was a pretty awesome city. And that was during the summer when it's hot as hell. Never spent time in Chicago though.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 08, 2012 4:18 am

bceagles182 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Stanford>Berkeley>NYU>Columbia>GULC>Suburban/Rural College Towns (M, D, V, Y, H,C)>NU>Chicago>>>>>>>>>>Penn

GULC's location is shit. Rural college towns are shit. Ahead of downtown Chicago? You have to be fucking kidding me.

I didn't live in Georgetown but I lived close by. Personally, I thought DC was a pretty awesome city. And that was during the summer when it's hot as hell. Never spent time in Chicago though.

GULC isn't in Georgetown. Its in a shitty neighborhood near union station. DC is ok, but its a provincial little town compared to Chicago or NYC. Its only got like 600k people--and unlike NYC or Chicago, the center of gravity of the larger metro area isn't in the city.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 am

rayiner wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

GULC isn't in Georgetown. Its in a shitty neighborhood near union station. DC is ok, but its a provincial little town compared to Chicago or NYC. Its only got like 600k people--and unlike NYC or Chicago, the center of gravity of the larger metro area isn't in the city.

Good call. I actually knew that but totally forgot. The location makes sense b/c of the courts and government buildings though.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue May 08, 2012 4:30 am

rayiner wrote:I can't think of any T14 ranked more correctly than Penn. Unarguably weaker faculty than CCN and weaker student body. Strong placement into NYC to compensate.

I think we have an overall weaker faculty than CCN but better you also have to consider that we have better private sector job placement than CN, similar clerkship numbers, slightly worse PI. Now this doesn't really mean anything in the rankings in which we suffer from having an LSAT median a point or two too low. I guess it all depends what you think rankings ought to reflect.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 am

Veyron wrote:
rayiner wrote:I can't think of any T14 ranked more correctly than Penn. Unarguably weaker faculty than CCN and weaker student body. Strong placement into NYC to compensate.

I think we have an overall weaker faculty than CCN but better you also have to consider that we have better private sector job placement than CN, similar clerkship numbers, slightly worse PI. Now this doesn't really mean anything in the rankings in which we suffer from having an LSAT median a point or two too low. I guess it all depends what you think rankings ought to reflect.

Hmm, what is your library square footage like?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 am

shoeshine wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Hmm, what is your library square footage like?

More importantly, how many chairs does it contain?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 am

Veyron wrote:

You don't have better private sector placement than Chi/NYU. Chicago is stronger nationally, especially in DC. NYU has way more people at top NYC firms.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 am

rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:

You don't have better private sector placement than Chi/NYU. Chicago is stronger nationally, especially in DC. NYU has way more people at top NYC firms.

I'd love to see some stats for this. And of course NYU has more people at top NYC firms considering its size, less geographical dispersion of its class after graduation and etc. I will say that I've spoken with career services at both schools and been quoted pretty similar cutoffs although the class of '12 seemed to have more luck than NYU's.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

Stupid comments really are stupid. A weaker student body because the median student at Penn answered one or two fewer questions correctly on the LSAT than the median student at CCN (regardless of the fact that these same median students had higher GPAs than their CLS and NYU peers)?

Lol ok.
Last edited by Real Madrid on Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 am

When I said best location, I meant geographically in the case of a combination of job flexibility and security. Additionally, the Penn degree really shines, IMO, when your biglaw stint is over and you're looking for work in the corporate sector: Penn's network and reputation in the financial sector is very strong (especially compares to schools like Chi, NYU). Hard to quantify this, but I'm feeling it.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 am

Also, if Penn did manage to climb the t6j, I think we all know who's expense that would be at...

chipcope

Postby chipcope » Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 am

Just to clarify...are we talking about the Carlisle, University Park, or University City location??

JournalismToLaw

Postby JournalismToLaw » Tue May 08, 2012 11:38 am

igo2northwestern wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

Philly > Ithaca for me. Chances of other people killing me are lower than killing myself in Ithaca.

More like:

S/B>NYU>Columbia>GULC>D/V>Northwestern>Y/H>M>>>>Penn/Cornell>Chicago

Would people seriously rate New Haven equal to Cambridge? --LinkRemoved--

Even if we ignore the crime completely, would anyone actually rather live in New Haven?

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am

This is a horrible opinion and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

11-5000

Postby 11-5000 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Sure the faculty may be somewhat weaker, but wouldn't it be less diluted than some of CCN?

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 pm

iamrobk wrote:

This is a horrible opinion and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

Dude there's so much CULTURE in new york you don't understand

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Philadelphia >>>>>>>>>> DC. I swear DC is the most overrated city in the US. It is a horrible, horrible place.

Also, why Cambridge (Boston) is in the same sentence with places like Ann Arbor/Charlottesville/Ithaca makes zero sense.

Postby 20130312 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

keg411 wrote:Philadelphia >>>>>>>>>> DC. I swear DC is the most overrated city in the US. It is a horrible, horrible place.

For real. Have you people saying DC>Philly even been to both cities?

skers

Postby skers » Tue May 08, 2012 12:59 pm

keg411 wrote:Philadelphia >>>>>>>>>> DC. I swear DC is the most overrated city in the US. It is a horrible, horrible place.

Also, why Cambridge (Boston) is in the same sentence with places like Ann Arbor/Charlottesville/Ithaca makes zero sense.

Putting Ithaca in the same sentence as Ann Arbor or Charlottesville also makes no sense.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

Putting Ithaca in the same sentence as Ann Arbor or Charlottesville also makes no sense.

I've lived in Ann Arbor and been to Ithaca a few times. They're not really different at all. Maybe Charlottesville is, but I dunno.

JournalismToLaw

Postby JournalismToLaw » Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I can't speak to Ann Arbor/Charlottesville/Ithaca, but I've been to New Haven and Cambridge enough to know anyone calling the two equal clearly has not been to both. Cambridge is a great area. New Haven, once you get away from Yale, not so much.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Keep downplaying Penn so I feel better about choosing Michigan over it. Thanks.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Real Madrid wrote:

Stupid comments really are stupid. A weaker student body because the median student at Penn answered one or two fewer questions correctly on the LSAT than the median student at CCN (regardless of the fact that these same median students had higher GPAs than their CLS and NYU peers)?

Lol ok.

I don't think it's to stupid considering the LSAT is one of the major things that keeps too schools ranked above others on USNWR.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm

rayiner wrote:I don't think it's to stupid considering the LSAT is one of the major things that keeps too schools ranked above others on USNWR.

Explain Berkeley then.

I think you are confusing correlation and causation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm

rayiner wrote:I don't think it's to stupid considering the LSAT is one of the major things that keeps too schools ranked above others on USNWR.

I thought expenditures per student made more sense in explaining USNWR ranking disparities. http://money-law.blogspot.com/2009/08/h ... t-way.html

Return to “Choosing a Law School”