Power of Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sundance95

Re: Power of Penn

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You people are cruising for a Rayiner smackdown. I hope it comes soon.

rayiner wrote:Will Williams is completely off his rocker. For NYC focused schools, V10 placement is the currency of prestige. Summer classes at places like S&C have like 20 NYU and 3-4 Penn. For 2011, DPW NY had 13 NYU and 3 Penn. Cleary was 23 NYU, 5 Penn. NYU is less than 2x as big as Penn.

Look, Penn has an edge in NYC placement over MVBDN. That's because NY offices throughout the V100 are willing to take a few Penn grads each year, and with their small class that's enough. But HLS, CLS and NYU are the only schools with the pipeline into top NYC firms where they send 10-20 people to a single firm.

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am

Tom Joad wrote:
sundance95 wrote:S? NO IVY PREFTIGE
NYU? NO IVY PREFTIGE, DOWNTOWN PROLES
Chi? RIGOR...BUT NO IVY PREFTIGE
M? LOL PUBLIC
V? Id., & HICK PROLES TO BOOT
B? LOL U SRS?
GULC? GTFO
D? HICKS

Only good part of this monstrosity of a thread.

Erm... Northwestern?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu May 10, 2012 8:03 am

sundance95 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:You people are cruising for a Rayiner smackdown. I hope it comes soon.

rayiner wrote:Will Williams is completely off his rocker. For NYC focused schools, V10 placement is the currency of prestige. Summer classes at places like S&C have like 20 NYU and 3-4 Penn. For 2011, DPW NY had 13 NYU and 3 Penn. Cleary was 23 NYU, 5 Penn. NYU is less than 2x as big as Penn.

Look, Penn has an edge in NYC placement over MVBDN. That's because NY offices throughout the V100 are willing to take a few Penn grads each year, and with their small class that's enough. But HLS, CLS and NYU are the only schools with the pipeline into top NYC firms where they send 10-20 people to a single firm.

Aaannnd, boom goes the dynamite. It's doubtful they will learn but, rayiner, I want you to know I appreciate your employment knowledge.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 am

sundance95 wrote:lol what r u talking about, its obviously P HYCC[ornell] . . . Ys bschool sucks, the wharton kids rubbing off all over pennlaws clearly elevates their dignity & preftige. & fucking wharton kids tell those HBS proles not to scratch the paint when they park their lambos at the CC, so H is clearly inferior.
Plus Yale is so goddam FLUFFY.

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 am

rayiner wrote:Look, Penn has an edge in NYC placement over MVBDN. That's because NY offices throughout the V100 are willing to take a few Penn grads each year, and with their small class that's enough. But HLS, CLS and NYU are the only schools with the pipeline into top NYC firms where they send 10-20 people to a single firm.

That’s good news. If, on an average, each of the V100 firms hired two Penn grads, that alone would employ 80% of the grad class.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
sundance95 wrote:S? NO IVY PREFTIGE
NYU? NO IVY PREFTIGE, DOWNTOWN PROLES
Chi? RIGOR...BUT NO IVY PREFTIGE
M? LOL PUBLIC
V? Id., & HICK PROLES TO BOOT
B? LOL U SRS?
GULC? GTFO
D? HICKS

Only good part of this monstrosity of a thread.

Erm... Northwestern?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am

Sherwood2014 wrote:
rayiner wrote:Look, Penn has an edge in NYC placement over MVBDN. That's because NY offices throughout the V100 are willing to take a few Penn grads each year, and with their small class that's enough. But HLS, CLS and NYU are the only schools with the pipeline into top NYC firms where they send 10-20 people to a single firm.

That’s good news. If, on an average, each of the V100 firms hired two Penn grads, that alone would employ 80% of the grad class.

I don't think anyone is questioning that Penn's general state of biglaw employment is very good. Once upon a time, we didn't just compare schools based on how many people were totally fucked, but also on how many people had great outcomes instead of just good ones.

One question I still have in this Penn debate is, how many JDMBAs do they have, and how many of them do law? At NU, I think JDMBAs skew our numbers by a few percentage points, which isn't that significant except that's exactly the sorts of margins between schools we're looking at.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu May 10, 2012 11:07 am

I'm kind of surprised this thread has lasted for so long. As a Penn student, I honestly think this entire discussion is a bit ridiculous.

Attempting to group and rank schools in some objective way is ridiculous. All schools have strengths and weaknesses. There is a reason that HYS are in a category of their own - in probably all categories, i.e. NYC Biglaw, PI, clerkships, those three have a distinct advantage over all other schools. Outside of that, law schools fluctuate in rank based on what's relevant to the applicant. Does the person want PI, be in Chicago, work in the South, definitely clerk? For those applicants whose career goals are so poorly defined that they want a school that rocks by all possible metrics, 1) they should probably think a little harder about law school and 2) focus more on school culture than numbers that cut in all kinds of different directions.

Simply based on this, I just don't think it makes sense to talk about law school rankings like CCNMVPDCNG. I picked Penn over Chicago and NYU based on a lot of factors, none of which involved clinging to arbitrary rankings. So, to get back to OP's question about Penn being underrecognized or whatever, that might be true or false depending on which metric we are talking about.

Just a note about Wharton - Ive heard from upperclassmen that OCI interviewers look favorably upon the Wharton certificate and it is cool to be able to take classes there. I don't think it's some amazing MBA equivalent just as much as I don't think it's just something to sneeze at. It can be a valuable tool come OCI that helps at the margins.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Borg wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Borg wrote:I wasn't trying to ninja-edit out anything. I was trying to make it appear because I didn't think it worked before. Does it bother you that you have been on this message board long enough to see posters come and go, and that you remember their names?

I have the kind of memory where I retain a lot of things whether I want to or not, like my grade school best friend's home phone number or the average annual snowfall in Indianapolis, so no, not really.

But that kind of sarcasm-laced insult is a step in the right direction. I have faith in you yet, grasshopper.

This sounds a lot like Dwight Schrute. Can you raise and lower your cholesterol at will too?

Better, but you're still reaching.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I'm kind of surprised this thread has lasted for so long. As a Penn student, I honestly think this entire discussion is a bit ridiculous.

Attempting to group and rank schools in some objective way is ridiculous. All schools have strengths and weaknesses. There is a reason that HYS are in a category of their own - in probably all categories, i.e. NYC Biglaw, PI, clerkships, those three have a distinct advantage over all other schools. Outside of that, law schools fluctuate in rank based on what's relevant to the applicant. Does the person want PI, be in Chicago, work in the South, definitely clerk? For those applicants whose career goals are so poorly defined that they want a school that rocks by all possible metrics, 1) they should probably think a little harder about law school and 2) focus more on school culture than numbers that cut in all kinds of different directions.

Simply based on this, I just don't think it makes sense to talk about law school rankings like CCNMVPDCNG. I picked Penn over Chicago and NYU based on a lot of factors, none of which involved clinging to arbitrary rankings. So, to get back to OP's question about Penn being underrecognized or whatever, that might be true or false depending on which metric we are talking about.

Just a note about Wharton - Ive heard from upperclassmen that OCI interviewers look favorably upon the Wharton certificate and it is cool to be able to take classes there. I don't think it's some amazing MBA equivalent just as much as I don't think it's just something to sneeze at. It can be a valuable tool come OCI that helps at the margins.

This is very credited. As for the Wharton Certificate, it's like any other soft factor--IE, it will work as well for you as you can spin it.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu May 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Seriously, people? 10 pages about a school that's perfectly ranked? Come on.

daddylonglegs

Postby daddylonglegs » Thu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I would rather have a great chance at biglaw, then a decent chance at ubervault10law

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Last edited by keg411 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
Borg wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Borg wrote:I wasn't trying to ninja-edit out anything. I was trying to make it appear because I didn't think it worked before. Does it bother you that you have been on this message board long enough to see posters come and go, and that you remember their names?

I have the kind of memory where I retain a lot of things whether I want to or not, like my grade school best friend's home phone number or the average annual snowfall in Indianapolis, so no, not really.

But that kind of sarcasm-laced insult is a step in the right direction. I have faith in you yet, grasshopper.

This sounds a lot like Dwight Schrute. Can you raise and lower your cholesterol at will too?

This was funny. Borg you're still a d-bag.

I don't know how I'm the d-bag here. You guys are jerks.

daddylonglegs

Postby daddylonglegs » Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Grats

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu May 10, 2012 4:38 pm

daddylonglegs wrote:Grats

Are you dumber than shit?

daddylonglegs

Postby daddylonglegs » Thu May 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

probably not

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

daddylonglegs wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

probably not

Ok, that was overboard, and I apologize, but she requested that you didn't quote her post and you did. You can edit it out now, you know :D

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
daddylonglegs wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

probably not

Ok, that was overboard, and I apologize, but she requested that you didn't quote her post and you did. You can edit it out now, you know :D

This. I'm outed enough on this damn board. Just wanted to make it pretty clear that most NYC firms hire more out of NYU than Penn, V10 or not V10. And by more than the margin to make up the difference in class size.

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm

keg411 wrote:This. I'm outed enough on this damn board. Just wanted to make it pretty clear that most NYC firms hire more out of NYU than Penn, V10 or not V10. And by more than the margin to make up the difference in class size.

Did not think this was breaking news. . . perhaps it is!

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1

Speaking of breaking news. . .

The NFL Players Association launched a multifaceted pushback Friday against the league's suspension of four players for their involvement in an alleged Saints bounty scheme, filing a formal grievance with the league and broadly criticizing the scope and format of its investigation.

The grievance, which was crafted by a New York law firm and submitted to the NFL's system arbitrator at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.

daddylonglegs

Postby daddylonglegs » Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:
keg411 wrote:This. I'm outed enough on this damn board. Just wanted to make it pretty clear that most NYC firms hire more out of NYU than Penn, V10 or not V10. And by more than the margin to make up the difference in class size.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1

The NFL Players Association launched a multifaceted pushback Friday against the league's suspension of four players for their involvement in an alleged Saints bounty scheme, filing a formal grievance with the league and broadly criticizing the scope and format of its investigation.

The grievance, which was crafted by a New York law firm and submitted to the NFL's system arbitrator at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.

I'm confused... that list has Penn at the top;.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

daddylonglegs wrote:
Sherwood2014 wrote:

I'm confused... that list has Penn at the top;.

Yeah, this year Penn placed the highest proportion of its graduates in BigLaw. It's weird.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Can you edit that other post please? Seriously.
I don't even give a shit about Penn. In fact, I wanted to go there. But the trolling is just annoying and absurd.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 10, 2012 6:29 pm

keg411 wrote:Can you edit that other post please? Seriously.
I don't even give a shit about Penn. In fact, I wanted to go there. But the trolling is just annoying and absurd.

Yeah, during ASW, I told some people point blank to pick NYU when they were NYC-centric and all costs were approximately equal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 am

1. If you post something you run the risk of someone quoting it, even if it outs you.

2. That being said, he was alting and that account has been banned so I'm gonna go ahead and edit it. But be forewarned, dicks abound on the internet and are often asshats.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”