Power of Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Borg

Re: Power of Penn

Postby Borg » Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 am

If Penn is so good, why are you so insecure that you need to create this thread? Also, trying to connect Penn Law to Wharton in any meaningful way is really, really stupid. It is funny how people view the importance of ranks/schools before they've had any summer work experience.
Last edited by Borg on Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 am

shoeshine wrote:Also... best location? Really?

Philadelphia is the last place on earth I want to spend three years.

T14 - Locations go like this.

Stanford>Berkeley>NYU>Columbia>GULC>Suburban/Rural College Towns (M, D, V, Y, H,C)>NU>Chicago>>>>>>>>>>Penn

What. Cambridge isn't suburban.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 am

thelawyler wrote:Two points do make a line, though.

hahaha.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 am

Borg wrote:If Penn is so good, why are you so insecure that you need to create this thread? Also, trying to connect Penn Law to Wharton in any meaningful way is really, really stupid. It is funny how people view the importance of ranks/schools before they've had any summer work experience.

U MAD ???????????

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am

gravityrides0 wrote:
Borg wrote:If Penn is so good, why are you so insecure that you need to create this thread? Also, trying to connect Penn Law to Wharton in any meaningful way is really, really stupid. It is funny how people view the importance of ranks/schools before they've had any summer work experience.

U MAD ???????????

No, are you? Also I think your question mark key is stuck down.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 am

Borg wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:

U MAD ???????????

Sorry, I honestly put no thought into that post. I've just been trying to bring "u mad?" back for like 2 weeks :|

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 am

gravityrides0 wrote:
Borg wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:

U MAD ???????????

Sorry, I honestly put no thought into that post. I've just been trying to bring "u mad?" back for like 2 weeks :|

Nodding sagely

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 am

gravityrides0 wrote:
Borg wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:

U MAD ???????????

Cool story bro.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 am

I read this entire thread of stupidity (truly, some of the mind numbingly stupid shit I've read all day, and I've been reading threads on theknot.com) but the dumbest part was definitely Shoeshine's SPS ranking of places to live.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 am

IAFG wrote:I read this entire thread of stupidity (truly, some of the mind numbingly stupid shit I've read all day, and I've been reading threads on theknot.com) but the dumbest part was definitely Shoeshine's SPS ranking of places to live.

Hey, what good is the internet for if not the unqualified and uninformed opinions of the layman about topics which he has no knowledge of?

I actually have only been to about 7 of the T14 campuses. I just made the rest up.

This was already a shitty thread and nothing seems to get people going like a good old fashioned locale/region of the country comparison. That combined with any re-ranking of the T14 always turns into a TLS circle jerk.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 am

retake.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 am

This is outrageous. All of the people saying that Philly > DC are certifiably insane. I can understand not liking D.C., but Philadelphia is arguably the second shittiest city in the U.S. next to Camden, which is right next door, coincidentally enough.

Philly is like NYC in that the entire city smells like shit, everything is filthy, and there are homeless people everywhere except that it lacks all of NY's redeeming qualities (e.g., NY has much better nightlife, nicer parks, lower crime rates, cheaper cabs, and a functioning subway system that you can take without getting mugged).

And all of these problems are exacerbated by the fact that Penn is in West Philly, which is even worse than regular Philly.

I refuse to believe that anyone who (1) has ever lived in Philly and (2) isn't from Philly, actually likes it there.

The main line is fine. The city is an absolute dump.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 am

CERTIFIABLY INSANE.

what would the certification read and who would do this certifying?

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 am

Also: PHI got GDK what does DC GOT?

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:12 am

bceagles182 wrote:This is outrageous. All of the people saying that Philly > DC are certifiably insane. I can understand not liking D.C., but Philadelphia is arguably the second shittiest city in the U.S. next to Camden, which is right next door, coincidentally enough.

Philly is like NYC in that the entire city smells like shit, everything is filthy, and there are homeless people everywhere except that it lacks all of NY's redeeming qualities (e.g., NY has much better nightlife, nicer parks, lower crime rates, cheaper cabs, and a functioning subway system that you can take without getting mugged).

And all of these problems are exacerbated by the fact that Penn is in West Philly, which is even worse than regular Philly.

I refuse to believe that anyone who (1) has ever lived in Philly and (2) isn't from Philly, actually likes it there.

The main line is fine. The city is an absolute dump.

Have you ever been to Penn's campus? The fact that you even compare the university area with the rest of West Philly just screams derp.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 09, 2012 7:37 am

Mindless 0L Penn trolling spawns five page thread. TLS at its finest.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 am

I have no dog in this fight, but as someone who is California born and raised, DC >>>>>>>> Philadelphia as a place to live. DC is one of the nicest cities IMO for young adults (age 22-30).

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 am

smokeylarue wrote:I have no dog in this fight, but as someone who is California born and raised, DC >>>>>>>> Philadelphia as a place to live. DC is one of the nicest cities IMO for young adults (age 22-30).

So, you've never lived in either of these cities then? Thanks for playing.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Wed May 09, 2012 10:14 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:I have no dog in this fight, but as someone who is California born and raised, DC >>>>>>>> Philadelphia as a place to live. DC is one of the nicest cities IMO for young adults (age 22-30).

So, you've never lived in either of these cities then? Thanks for playing.

I've only visited but never lived in Japan as well. I still think its an awesome country. Its my opinion. Suck on it.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 am

The weird thing about Philly is that some parts are REALLY nice, but take a wrong turn on some corner and you're in The Wire.

THE DEFINITIVE T14 LOCATION RANKING GOES LIKE THIS:

1. NYU / Northwestern
2. Harvard
3. Columbia
4. Stanford
5. Berkeley
6. Michigan
7. Penn
8. Georgetown
9. Virginia
10. Duke/Cornell
11. Chicago/Yale

sandiego222

Postby sandiego222 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:The weird thing about Philly is that some parts are REALLY nice, but take a wrong turn on some corner and you're in The Wire.

THE DEFINITIVE T14 LOCATION RANKING GOES LIKE THIS:

1. NYU / Northwestern
2. Harvard
3. Columbia
4. Stanford
5. Berkeley
6. Michigan
7. Penn
8. Georgetown
9. Virginia
10. Duke/Cornell
11. Chicago/Yale

Ummmm this is as ridiculous as everything else in this thread.

What about someone who prefers to be centered around a campus for law school instead of commuting in a city?

Could you really make the case that it would be better to spend 3 years of your life for the above mentioned applicant in Philly/ as a poor student in DC/ as a poor student in NY than in Charlottesville or Ann Arbor??

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Apart from a few instances where it may be obvious (NU's location is superior to that of Chicago's), it's probably pretty pointless to rank locations, right? I mean, a lot of it comes down to personal preference (Chicago vs. NYC, big city vs. college town, NE vs. South vs. Midwest vs. West Coast). But hey, this is a forum for current/prospective law students. Argue away :wink:

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Back to the topic. For those who wind up below median or at the bottom 25%, I imagine the power of Penn would keep you in the running. Not sure if Penn would be equal to CCN. Perhaps the PBV leader?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:Back to the topic. For those who wind up below median or at the bottom 25%, I imagine the power of Penn would keep you in the running. Not sure if Penn would be equal to CCN. Perhaps the PBV leader?

That's CCPN NBMV.

Postby 071816 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:The weird thing about Philly is that some parts are REALLY nice, but take a wrong turn on some corner and you're in The Wire.

The same could be said about any major city in this country champ.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”