schools for public interest - Tier 3 schools vs reputation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pizzaaaaaa

schools for public interest - Tier 3 schools vs reputation

Postby pizzaaaaaa » Mon May 07, 2012 2:16 am

Firstly, I am becoming discouraged with the reputations of schools I am interested in, after reading things online.
I am interested in a career in work for women's reproductive rights, and other work for women and I'm very passionate about the subject.
I applied late in the game with Feb LSAT scores, but after researching online, I feel like I won't get a job if I go to any schools I have applied to.
3.37 - ( I started school at 16, but my grades got better). /158
But! Since I am quite young (20), the idea of 35k a year starting salaries doesn't scare me off, and I'm excited to work my butt off in order to achieve the rank I need.

My question is, with any of these schools do I have a fighting chance in their respective public interest legal markets? I'd be happy to live in any of these cities
GGU - accept w/20k - 3.0 stip = lies
BROOKLYN - waitlist
waiting on
LOYOLA LA - PT
STURM - PT/DAY (asked to be considered for both)
CUNY
DEPAUL - PT
KENT - PT
/
UF - DENY
LEWIS and CLARK (missed deadline)- DENY

would anyone recommend any of these schools, AT ALL?

Ded Precedent

Re: schools for public interest - Tier 3 schools vs reputation

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 am

You're young. Take a year off and study for the LSAT. Get some work experience and profit.

timbs4339

Re: schools for public interest - Tier 3 schools vs reputation

Postby timbs4339 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:34 am

pizzaaaaaa wrote:Firstly, I am becoming discouraged with the reputations of schools I am interested in, after reading things online.
I am interested in a career in work for women's reproductive rights, and other work for women and I'm very passionate about the subject.
I applied late in the game with Feb LSAT scores, but after researching online, I feel like I won't get a job if I go to any schools I have applied to.
3.37 - ( I started school at 16, but my grades got better). /158
But! Since I am quite young (20), the idea of 35k a year starting salaries doesn't scare me off, and I'm excited to work my butt off in order to achieve the rank I need.

My question is, with any of these schools do I have a fighting chance in their respective public interest legal markets? I'd be happy to live in any of these cities
GGU - accept w/20k - 3.0 stip = lies
BROOKLYN - waitlist
waiting on
LOYOLA LA - PT
STURM - PT/DAY (asked to be considered for both)
CUNY
DEPAUL - PT
KENT - PT
/
UF - DENY
LEWIS and CLARK (missed deadline)- DENY

would anyone recommend any of these schools, AT ALL?

Unfortunately not with your goals. Your best bet for a public interest career in general would be to keep your debt at a minimum (50K). I would retake to get into better schools or go to CUNY if you are accepted there. But you've specified a very limited kind of public interest law. Jobs in the field of women's reproductive rights are very rare and are highly competitive. These jobs are going to go to graduates of the elite law schools. You will probably hope to work in a direct legal services organization doing work with battered or abused women but even that is not certain. It would help to have a few years of work experience under your belt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”