USC vs. BU vs. Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rich_4

Bronze

USC vs. BU vs. Emory

Post by rich_4 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:47 pm

My cycle took an interesting turn at the end of last week when I was admitted to USC and BU from the WL.

Ideally, I want to do some type of international law or lobbying for international companies. Something China/Asian related for both scenarios.

Before those acceptances I had chosen Emory over BC/Fordham/W&L and a couple others. I have ties to the south, since I was raised in the south and went to the top liberal arts school in the south for undergrad, but I am completely open to living/working anywhere.

as of now my schollys for 3 years are:
66k at Emory
60k at USC
45k at BU

I realize that all three schools are pretty regional... if I go to USC I'm basically committing to Cali, and the same thing with BU and Boston, and maybe to a lesser extent Emory and Atlanta.

Is there a clear winner here? Or should I just decide where I want to be after law school and pick that school?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: USC vs. BU vs. Emory

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Have you tried to get more money from Emory since the other acceptances? I think Emory is a school that claims not to negotiate but actually does. I'm not a big Emory fan, but with more money and ties to the South that would be an obvious choice.

I would be anxious about attending either of the other schools at that price without ties to the areas.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:04 pm

rich_4 wrote:My cycle took an interesting turn at the end of last week when I was admitted to USC and BU from the WL.

Ideally, I want to do some type of international law or lobbying for international companies. Something China/Asian related for both scenarios.

Before those acceptances I had chosen Emory over BC/Fordham/W&L and a couple others. I have ties to the south, since I was raised in the south and went to the top liberal arts school in the south for undergrad, but I am completely open to living/working anywhere.

66k at Emory
60k at USC
45k at BU

I realize that all three schools are pretty regional... if I go to USC I'm basically committing to Cali, and the same thing with BU and Boston, and maybe to a lesser extent Emory and Atlanta.

Is there a clear winner here? Or should I just decide where I want to be after law school and pick that school?
Still really steep prices for those employment prospects, what were your numbers, you should sit out cycle and retake to profit.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 06, 2012 3:15 pm

rich_4 wrote:as of now my schollys for 3 years are:
66k at Emory
60k at USC
45k at BU
That's it?

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Haha, yeah, that's it. I have a 167/3.5 non-URM, but I took the LSAT 3 times and I really have no intention of sitting out for a retake. I'm still on the WL at UVA and Vandy, but it seems like the chances of landing at either get slimmer every day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

rich_4 wrote:Haha, yeah, that's it. I have a 167/3.5 non-URM, but I took the LSAT 3 times and I really have no intention of sitting out for a retake. I'm still on the WL at UVA and Vandy, but it seems like the chances of landing at either get slimmer every day.
But if you get 3 more questions right on the LSAT, you'll bag them and double your chances of good jerbs.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

rich_4 wrote:I'm still on the WL at UVA and Vandy, but it seems like the chances of landing at either get slimmer every day.
Keep waiting.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=184369

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

rich_4 wrote:My cycle took an interesting turn at the end of last week when I was admitted to USC and BU from the WL.

66k at Emory
60k at USC
45k at BU

You can go ahead and cross BU off that list. Of the three, I think USC actually has the strongest placement in its region.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun May 06, 2012 3:26 pm

International law of any kind is doubtful from these schools, so pick USC as it is the strongest of the three and certainly the best place of the three to spend three years

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Immediately cross out Emory. If you can't hit the international sphere, then if you want NY/Boston, go to BU; if Cali, USC. If you don't care either way, go to USC.

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Immediately cross out Emory. If you can't hit the international sphere, then if you want NY/Boston, go to BU; if Cali, USC. If you don't care either way, go to USC.

curious as to why you say immediately cross out Emory?
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
rich_4 wrote:I'm still on the WL at UVA and Vandy, but it seems like the chances of landing at either get slimmer every day.
Keep waiting.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=184369
I'm going to continue to ride the WL, I just don't think I have much of a chance. But if I do get Vandy or UVA I'll definitely sacrifice my other seat deposit(s) and attend.

Thanks for all the feedback.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Emory easily has the worst job prospects (mainly because job prospects in the South suck overall). None of them seem substantially cheaper than any other. If you want CA-->USC, if you want NYC/Boston-->BU, if you don't care-->USC (because it has the best overall job prospects), but keep in mind:

1. Your goals are unlikely from any of these schools.

2. You'd be overpaying for all of these schools.

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 am

bk187 wrote:Emory easily has the worst job prospects (mainly because job prospects in the South suck overall). None of them seem substantially cheaper than any other. If you want CA-->USC, if you want NYC/Boston-->BU, if you don't care-->USC (because it has the best overall job prospects), but keep in mind:

Confidence boost! Kidding, I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, my family is offsetting the cost of law school, so I really just want to do what's best for my career. I guess I should have said that from the beginning, but I wanted to get everyone's real opinions. I feel like my goals might be "unlikely" anywhere outside of the T10, but I'm not going to let that stop me from pursuing them. I realize that sounds stereotypically idiotic, but I don't care.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 am

rich_4 wrote:
bk187 wrote:Emory easily has the worst job prospects (mainly because job prospects in the South suck overall). None of them seem substantially cheaper than any other. If you want CA-->USC, if you want NYC/Boston-->BU, if you don't care-->USC (because it has the best overall job prospects), but keep in mind:

Confidence boost! Kidding, I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, my family is offsetting the cost of law school, so I really just want to do what's best for my career. I guess I should have said that from the beginning, but I wanted to get everyone's real opinions. I feel like my goals might be "unlikely" anywhere outside of the T10, but I'm not going to let that stop me from pursuing them. I realize that sounds stereotypically idiotic, but I don't care.
Then don't waste their money, retake and...

ED UVA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”