Some info for people negotiating $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: Some info for people negotiating $$$

Post by LSAT Blog » Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Thanks for the post Professor Campos. Do you think we'll see this effect at T14's as well?

NU just admitted a bunch of people off the hold list and isn't offering any money. Conversely I've heard other T14's are offering money off the waitlist.

I Guess part of it will depend on whether schools decide to preserve medians rather than reduce class size
Yes I do think you'll see this effect at T-14s, although it won't be as pronounced. When top 20 schools are not only admitting large numbers of people off their wait lists but offering 50% discounts off sticker to people admitted in May (as GW and Minnesota are doing) that tells you these schools are in a real hole. Otherwise they'd try to fill the class with sticker-price or near sticker-price admits off the WL rather than resorting to immediately giving deep discounts to people who have been riding their WLs for months. That's a sign they're seriously concerned about falling far short of getting a full class.
Kudos to Professor Campos for a fascinating and much-needed thread topic.

I think the T14 and other top-tier schools are slowly coming to the realization that their yield rates are going to be awful. That's why we're seeing all this desperation/craziness now.

It's a problem for top schools when you have too few high-scoring applicants, but each is sending out a greater number of applications. I had a feeling they'd have a yield problem when I read this (from 4/16):
Northwestern Law has seen just a very slight decline this year (in approximately the 4% range) and no decline in the high-end LSAT applicants.
They'll need to readjust their thinking for next cycle.

Repartee16

New

Post by Repartee16 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 pm

I'm pretty excited to be applying this upcoming cycle and also being able to take the LSAT in December if June or October doesn't pan out and still have a shot at some schools. I read somewhere that Alabama had an increased number of applications also. From looking at TLS and LSN, they seem to be giving non stipulation scholarships out like candy this cycle.

Since the economy is still at a tough place, I think the goal for applicants locked out of the t-14 would be to find a t15-50 that places well regionally in a place you wouldn't mind working with a great scholarship. As a hopeful splitter, this could mean a lot for me and other fellow splitters when it comes down to applying to schools that are splitter friendly but do not hand out scholarships to them. Most notable this cycle, George Washington. From past cycles it seemed that as a splitter, SMU, Minnesota, WUSTL, and a few other decent schools were the only ones offering scholarships. I'm hoping this upcoming cycle that a lot more schools open their doors and throw money at them.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 10, 2012 12:41 pm

So as a splitter that's waitlisted at five T14 schools (and accepted to none), is there any hope for me????

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm

whatismylife wrote:So as a splitter that's waitlisted at five T14 schools (and accepted to none), is there any hope for me????
Push like hell for money from the schools you're in at, and wait out the wait lists.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
whatismylife wrote:So as a splitter that's waitlisted at five T14 schools (and accepted to none), is there any hope for me????
Push like hell for money from the schools you're in at, and wait out the wait lists.
I'm a splitter that was waitlisted at MVPDN and was able to get off of the waitlist at Duke with some scholarship money. Don't lose hope yet. Also, yes, push for money if you can, so you can leverage an offer if you do get off of one of the waitlists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed May 16, 2012 11:13 pm

tfleming09 wrote:So, this is probably stupid - but has anyone actually verified that this is actually Paul Campos?
Didn't see anybody else respond, so I'm going to respond to verify.

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 pm

;)

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

I am in at Cal with a 3.48/170. Should I withdraw and apply again next year? The only other places I'd rather go to are HYS.

However, using the logic in this thread requires me to look into a crystal ball and predict what will happen with test-takers in 2012. I'm afraid I cannot do that. Let's say, hypothetically, Greece pulls out of the Eurozone tomorrow, and then Spain and Italy default on their loans--there will be a whole bunch of people in consulting and finance who might be looking to go to law school all of a sudden. I really can't predict the future like that.

I think I should keep my Cal admission. What do you think?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Update from stalking this user's posts: yes. He/she was offered admission to UVA and used that as leverage to up his UMN scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

I found this thread interesting and at times helpful.

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Makes me seriously regret not applying to more schools/stay on waitlists.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm

MormonChristian wrote:I found this thread interesting and at times helpful.
Could you explain your username please

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:28 pm

I am trying to work my way up to CU-Boulder. If I get there, I am pumped. I have DU under my belt presently. Maybe I'll try Paul Campos's plan on DU and see what they say. Worth a shot, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”