How to pick a TT school for Patent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kyle010723

How to pick a TT school for Patent

Postby kyle010723 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:53 am

Just want to get some opinions on how to pick a school with a concentration of patent in mind, I realized regardless of what I say, some TLSer will simply say retake and TT is not worth the time, but that aside, here are some information I gathered from this forum on how to pick a regular TT school.

1. Demographic location: Pick a school location where you would feel comfortable practicing in.
2. Debt + COL: Pick the school with lowest debt when you graduate.

I realize money is always going to be a factor regardless of school, but with an patent attorney being much more portable than other concentration, is demographic location as important? Or simply choose the highest ranking school.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

CanadianWolf

Re: How to pick a TT school for Patent

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:17 am

More Info. may help.

According to your TLS profile you majored in EE at Purdue.

Current law school acceptances include: Case Western Reserve, Michigan State & Indiana-Indianapolis.

Waitlisted at : Illinois, DePaul, Chicago-Kent, Loyola-Chicago & Marquette.

Is this information shown in your profile still accurate ?

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 am

Because of the loyola patent fair, I think geographic considerations are lessened if you are going to patent law. You don't have to find a school that has firms coming to your local OCI.

But that being said where you go to school is probably still important. All things equal you should go to school in an area you want to practice just because the firms there will likely have a lot practice hiring from them. They know the schools, they value the schools.

Unless you are going to get into a good school (solid t1 but preferably T14) I'd just pick the cheapest school. Preferably free. Nobody cares your TTT is ranked 30 spots above some other TTT.

Some IP firms care about your law school and your law grades, other just about your tech background. You are forfeiting the former by going to a T2 and the later aren't really going to care either way. So I'd find a school that will let you go for free.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:46 am

Thank you Desert Fox, I appreciate your input.

And yes CanadianWolf, those info are still accurate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”