Santa Clara, McGeorge or Thomas Jefferson?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nebtan

Santa Clara, McGeorge or Thomas Jefferson?

Postby nebtan » Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 am

I know this sounds ridiculous comparing a top tier with a 4th tier but Thomas Jefferson has offered me a full scholarship for 3 years as long as I stay top 25%. Basically, graduating debt free.
Santa Clara has offered me $15,000.
McGeorge has offered me $20,000 + books. Renewable application possible every year.
I've been doing a tiny bit of research but I thought maybe the forum would provide me on some other insight. I'm leaning towards tax law btw.
I guess my major concern is how much different are my job prospects between the 3 remembering that I would most likely come out about $100,000 knee deep in loans with Santa Clara and McGeorge. Is it worth that investment?

tedalbany

Re: Santa Clara, McGeorge or Thomas Jefferson?

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 am

Santa Clara isn't T1.
There's a 75% chance you won't be able to keep the scholarship at TJLS.
$20k isn't enough to attend McGeorge.

You should probably just retake the LSAT and shoot higher.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 2:44 am

From those schools I'd go to Santa Clara...

But I agree with the above poster. Have you seen recent data?

--LinkRemoved--

You can also see the data for the other two schools using the drop down menu...

Bleak is a nice word to use. Basically, these schools will not land you job at graduation and you will be fighting like a viking for a job nine months after....

If it is do or die, then Santa Clara. TJ for free only means you will have a free piece of toilet paper. Just my opinion, no offense meant. Remember, you can only go to law school once. Don't go because it's free. You'd be better off paying 200K at a top 30, seriously!

Otherwise, sit out and retake.

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:55 am

nebtan wrote:I know this sounds ridiculous comparing a top tier with a 4th tier but Thomas Jefferson has offered me a full scholarship for 3 years as long as I stay top 25%. Basically, graduating debt free.
Santa Clara has offered me $15,000.
McGeorge has offered me $20,000 + books. Renewable application possible every year.
I've been doing a tiny bit of research but I thought maybe the forum would provide me on some other insight. I'm leaning towards tax law btw.
I guess my major concern is how much different are my job prospects between the 3 remembering that I would most likely come out about $100,000 knee deep in loans with Santa Clara and McGeorge. Is it worth that investment?

Agreed with the above poster. Santa Clara is practically a tier 3 school, the fact that you call it "top tier" is highly inaccurate.
And a top 25% stipulation is NOT A GOOD SCHOLARSHIP. Especially for a school that is already so low in ranking and employment prospects. 75% of students won't meet the criteria for your scholarship, can you really say with absolute certainty you won't be part of that 75% after your first year?

Your situation is a very risky one. That being said, if you are hell bent on not taking a year off and reapplying with better softs and a higher LSAT (which I HIGHLY recommend), I would also advocate for Santa Clara out of all the above mentioned schools.

On an optimistic note, in the same fashion that you could very well lose your scholarship if you attend Thomas Jefferson, you may be eligible for Merit-based aid as a 2L and/ or 3L if you attend Santa Clara and do very well your first year. Again, the odds are not in your favor, but there's always some students that are able to take scholarships as 2L's from the 1L's that lose theirs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”