SMU ($) (PT) vs American U. (PT) vs. GSU (PT) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SMU vs American vs GSU

SMU part-time + $48,000
53%
American U. part-time
20%
GSU part-time
27%

Total votes: 15

chraruce

New

SMU ($) (PT) vs American U. (PT) vs. GSU (PT)

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 pm

I thought my only option was to go to American University as a part-time student. Two days ago, however, SMU gave me an acceptance call for their part-time program and they threw $12,000 per year into the deal. Since it's a part-time program, which would be completed in four years, that's a total of $48,000. Yesterday, GSU told me that they expect to offer seats off of their waitlist for the part-time program and wanted to know if I would be interested (I'm on their priority waitlist).
I currently live in Atlanta and even though I own a really nice condo here, I am not too crazy about the city, so moving is desirable in order to escape this city but also a burden because I need to deal with my real estate.
I am most interested in maximizing my employment prospects. I want to get a job paying more than $100,000 as a first-year associate immediately following law school. I think I would be interested in IP law although healthcare law and corporate law may be interesting to pursue as well.
For me, I don't think there would be a huge difference between living in Dallas vs. living in D.C. I think D.C. has a bit more glamour and is a more international city than Dallas but my buying power in Dallas would be much greater than in D.C. Living in Atlanta offers the plus of my condo and being close to family; however, I don't like the city that much.
Really, I care about getting a good-paying job, then getting a good-paying job, and lastly, getting a good-paying job in IP law/healthcare law/corporate law.
So which one would you choose?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: SMU ($) (PT) vs American U. (PT) vs. GSU (PT)

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Those schools only give you like a 15%-20% shot at the biglaw firms that pay the biglaw bucks, so retake or adjust your career goals.

see: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=183053

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 8:28 pm

I think 15-20% chance of getting "biglaw" are pretty good odds. I find no need to adjust my career goals at the moment. Of course many people will disagree with me, especially in this forum. Maybe if I were to find out that law school is not going favorably, then I would adjust my career goals, but my goals are attainable from my current opportunities.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 pm

chraruce wrote:I think 15-20% chance of getting "biglaw" are pretty good odds.
lulz

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Please make intelligent posts which are focused on the topic.
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm

And what I mean is this: if you have no concept of what "a priori" or "a posteriori" mean or how they are related to probabilities or if you have no idea how Bayesian probabilities work, then please don't try to mock my statement. I believe that an a priori probability of 15-20% is pretty good, especially knowing what I know about myself and about law schools (the a posteriori).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm

chraruce wrote:And what I mean is this: if you have no concept of what "a priori" or "a posteriori" mean or how they are related to probabilities or if you have no idea how Bayesian probabilities work, then please don't try to mock my statement. I believe that an a priori probability of 15-20% is pretty good, especially knowing what I know about myself and about law schools (the a posteriori).

Sapientia

Bronze

Post by Sapientia » Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 pm

chraruce wrote:And what I mean is this: if you have no concept of what "a priori" or "a posteriori" mean or how they are related to probabilities or if you have no idea how Bayesian probabilities work, then please don't try to mock my statement. I believe that an a priori probability of 15-20% is pretty good, especially knowing what I know about myself and about law schools (the a posteriori).
This poast made me cringe

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Please do not go to SMU. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Why do you say that Kalvano? Do you think SMU is not good enough for my interests?

Skunky Bumps

New

Post by Skunky Bumps » Fri May 04, 2012 11:17 pm

This post is a trollocaust.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri May 04, 2012 11:22 pm

chraruce wrote:Please make intelligent posts which are focused on the topic.
Thanks.
First off, rad lulz is right. You and everyone else will go in thinking youll make top 15 percent. Only 15 percent of you will. Those are not good odds.
Second, you mentione ip law. What is your academic background? (ee etc).

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Fri May 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I have an EECS degree from MIT. I think I can pass the patent bar and hopefully get a job at a good firm if I decide to go the IP route as long as I get good grades in law school. Also, there is a big difference between what you are saying (that most people will go trying to get to the top), which is correct, and what rad lulz is saying. His "conclusiveness" makes me think that either he will suck at the LSAT or that he will really not do well in law school. Either way, he has no respect from me.
Nonetheless, even though everyone will go in trying to get to the top and only 2 in 10 people will make it, I have my reasons for believing that my chances are not quite 15-20% but more like 30-40%, which are similar chances to what some top law schools offer. However, you may disagree with me about this and that's fair.

Edit: Just had a couple of beers so I hope the above makes some sense!
Last edited by chraruce on Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 11:44 pm

chraruce wrote:His "conclusiveness" makes me think that either he will suck at the LSAT or that he will really not do well in law school.
Well shucks then

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 11:52 pm

OP: Compare total COA for each school. GSU should be very inexpensive for a Georgia resident. SMU is a great school in a nice location & the Texas economy is healthy & growing. American is too expensive for what it offers.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 pm

chraruce wrote:Why do you say that Kalvano? Do you think SMU is not good enough for my interests?
Mainly because I don't want there to be an off chance we are in the same class.

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Sat May 05, 2012 12:04 am

Canadian Wolf, your comment is important. Tuition at GSU is about $12,000 per year for in-state. Tuition at SMU is about $33,000 minus the $12,000 scholly = $21,000. American ends up being the most expensive of them all at $36,000 by virtue of the lack of scholly and in-state tuition. The cost of living ends up being relatively comparable between the 3 (although D.C. ends up being just a bit more expensive overall).
So you're right in that financially, GSU makes the most sense by about $9,000 per year.
The big question is this. I know SMU dominates the Dallas market and it's very strong in Texas, which has a healthy economy. GSU has an ok placement in Atlanta and I think that's about it. Do the savings of $9,000 per year offset the weaker employment prospects offered by GSU? That's about $36,000 for four years. It's significant and I'm not sure what the right answer is although I'm leaning towards the better firm placement by SMU.
Last edited by chraruce on Mon May 07, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Sat May 05, 2012 12:08 am

Hey Kalvano, I thought classmates were supposed to always push each other forward. Well, at least that's how I work. You should be happy to have a quantitatively brilliant engineer joining your school's community ;-)
I'll be happy to have an offensive troll as my classmate if I join SMU.
I kid. I'm sure you have plenty of good things to contribute if SMU offered you admission.

Edit for clarity
Last edited by chraruce on Sat May 05, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Repartee16

New

Post by Repartee16 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:11 am

OP sounds like he'll get into a lot bar fights in Dallas. He'll go up to some jacked guy and say "Hey, I've calculated I have a 15-20% chance of kicking your ass. Those are pretty good odds."

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 05, 2012 12:12 am

SMU is a very highly regarded law school in Texas. GSU does well in Atlanta. Texas is a strong & growing economy, whereas Atlanta is a tough legal market.

In my opinion, SMU is worth the higher price if you want to live & work in Texas after finishing law school.

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Sat May 05, 2012 12:14 am

Ummm no, Repartee... Because given the a posteriori information (i.e. that I'm a scrawny nerd), I know that my probabilities are MUCH lower than 15% of kicking anybody's ass.
That made me laugh quite a bit though.

Canadian Wolf, I think your input has been great and I truly appreciate it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Repartee16

New

Post by Repartee16 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:26 am

Are you a splitter by the way? SMU, GSU, and American are all pretty splitter friendly. I honestly suggest waiting and retaking with ample study time so that next year your dilemma is about three full time programs with schollys. Maybe you'll even be able to get into UGA or Emory. EECS is great, and it'll be that much better from a good full time program.

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Sat May 05, 2012 12:36 am

Repartee, your suggestion is very valid. In fact, I toyed around with this idea for the past 3 months: to delay or not to delay. After much deliberation and consulting with old classmates, friends, and family, I decided to go ahead and not wait the year. This may be the wrong choice and I'm convinced that the TLS forum consensus dictates that I should retake. I honestly think the benefits of waiting would not outweigh the sacrifices. This decision was reached by evaluating my personal situation.

However, everyone is different, and if anyone is reading this trying to make a decision for themselves, I would urge them to consider retaking the LSAT. If my working conditions were a bit more favorable and more conducive towards giving me some free time (for LSAT prepping) I would wait out this cycle. However, I'm afraid that my LSAT score will repeat itself as long as I continue with my current job.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am

chraruce wrote: sure you have plenty of good things to contribute if SMU offered you admission.

If only they would.....

*sigh*

Repartee16

New

Post by Repartee16 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:36 am

Cheer up Kalvano, I'm sure SMU would love to have you. Look at the bright side. If you were a student at SMU, imagine how stressful it would be right now with finals and other things coming up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”