Cardozo vs Maryland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2015JD

Cardozo vs Maryland

Postby 2015JD » Fri May 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Near identical Cost of Attendance over the three years.

Want to do Prosecution, so either Manhattan/Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens ADA at Cardozo or a States Attorney at Maryland.

No connections to either New York or Maryland.

Leaning towards Maryland, but worried about the whole no hiring thing going on at state and city level. Whereas Manhattan/Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens are still hiring hundreds of a attorney's a year despite the economy.

Suggestions?

rad lulz

Re: Cardozo vs Maryland

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Total COA at each?

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:Total COA at each?

irrelevant other than equal.

Well below sticker at each. But the CoL at both make it higher than I would like.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:11 pm

2015JD wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Total COA at each?

irrelevant other than equal.

Well below sticker at each. But the CoL at both make it higher than I would like.

It's relevant unless someone else is paying. Is someone else paying?

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Fri May 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Around $100 grand at each, give or take $10 grand. Total.
I didn't want it to get into, "Oh well neither school is worth that much".

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:23 pm

2015JD wrote:Around $100 grand at each, give or take $10 grand. Total.

Cardozo is "better," but you know deep down that neither school is worth that much.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Fri May 04, 2012 6:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Cardozo is "better," but you know deep down that neither school is worth that much.

It's not that deep down. I know flat out they aren't worth it. I just keep telling myself that IBR + PSLF makes cost pointless.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 pm

2015JD wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It's not that deep down. I know flat out they aren't worth it. I just keep telling myself that IBR + PSLF makes cost pointless.

Yeah, but you know deep down that it doesn't, unfortunately.

Sorry bro.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Why not St. John's and Brooklyn? If you got into Cardozo St. John's or Brooklyn is better for what you want to do ADA in nyc. Both schools have more ADA alumni in NYC than Cardozo. The Brooklyn DA as well as the DA in Westchester county went to St.John's. St. Jon's will place you very well in ADA positions in NYC and the surrounding areas like Nassau and Suffolk County. I've heard that St. John's places very well in New York Unified Court System. Every Court attorney I've heard of or known went to St. John's. It might be whoever is doing hiring is a St. John's Alumni. Brooklyn also does very well with ADA positions in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx. You won't get Manhattan from either school though. Cardozo will not give you an edge over those 2. It might even hurt your prospects. In all honesty those 3 schools are peers. With Cardozo slightly better for big law and Brooklyn and St. John's better for nyc ada and other pi positions. Pick the school that you feel the most comfortable with that will give you the most amount of money. Looking at public service score for all 3 schools will show you what I always suspect. Cardozo does not do as well as the other 2. --LinkRemoved--
A whopping 31% of their students are underemployed. The stats for Brooklyn and St. John's are fairly similar give or take. --LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 pm

answer23 wrote:Why not St. John's and Brooklyn? If you got into Cardozo St. John's or Brooklyn is better for what you want to do ADA in nyc. Both schools have more ADA alumni in NYC than Cardozo. The Brooklyn DA as well as the DA in Westchester county went to St.John's.

This.

Most of the ADA's I know (mainly Manhattan and Brooklyn) came from Brooklyn and St. John's. It's possible there's a selection bias since Cardozo hasn't been around all that long, but that also points toward the conclusion that a more established alumni record from both BLS and St. John's means more people in the DA's offices saying "oh they're a BLS/St. John's alum? Let's take a look at him/her!" My supervisor does it all the time with students from the school she graduated from.

This is, of course, assuming that you already have a well-established background and indicated interest in government/PI work + connections you can rely on come application and interview time...if not? Well, you're already behind the curve then.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”