Wash U ($$) or Vanderbilt ($)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wash U or Vanderbilt?

Wash U ($$)
25%
Vanderbilt ($)
75%

Total votes: 36

darciewalker

Wash U ($$) or Vanderbilt ($)?

Postby darciewalker » Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 am

Hi there,

I'm really torn between the two. I feel like both are really great schools but maybe Vanderbilt has a better reputation. I might just feel that way because I grew up in the south though.

I'm plan on going into corporate or securities law. I'm not sure which school has better corporate law program.

COA whould probably be around 90K at Wash U and 160K at Vandy. My parents have offered to split the cost, which is really generous but I've been warned about taking on too much debt personally. I have no debt from undergrad.

I have strong ties to Chicago, New Orleans, and Oklahoma City. I live in Chicago now and love it (I'm still on hold at Northwestern and have my fingers crossed). Moving only 5 hours away seems more attractive than moving across the country. I have been to Nashville and like it. I have only driven through St. Louis and have heard mixed reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated! I know the law school you go to really sticks with you throughout your career so I want to choose the right one.

Thanks for your help!

Ruxin1

Re: Wash U ($$) or Vanderbilt ($)?

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:20 am

darciewalker wrote:Hi there,

I'm really torn between the two. I feel like both are really great schools but maybe Vanderbilt has a better reputation. I might just feel that way because I grew up in the south though.

I'm plan on going into corporate or securities law. I'm not sure which school has better corporate law program.

COA whould probably be around 90K at Wash U and 160K at Vandy. My parents have offered to split the cost, which is really generous but I've been warned about taking on too much debt personally. I have no debt from undergrad.

I have strong ties to Chicago, New Orleans, and Oklahoma City. I live in Chicago now and love it (I'm still on hold at Northwestern and have my fingers crossed). Moving only 5 hours away seems more attractive than moving across the country. I have been to Nashville and like it. I have only driven through St. Louis and have heard mixed reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated! I know the law school you go to really sticks with you throughout your career so I want to choose the right one.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, only five hours away, but it will be very tough to break into Chicago from Wustl, and if your really only paying 80k for Vandy that's a hell of a deal that doesn't lock you into BigLaw.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 am

Do you want biglaw? If so, what market(s) do you want to target?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 11:22 am

Tough call. If you want to live & work in The South, including Texas, after law school, then Vanderbilt is probably worth the extra $70,000 of debt. For Midwest placement, WashUStL since it's $70,000 cheaper.

darciewalker

Postby darciewalker » Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes to biglaw. I was also told working in government is the way to go after graduating.

I'm open to any market. Chicago would be great but I'm not going to be picky. My main concern is landing a good job.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:10 pm

darciewalker wrote:Yes to biglaw. I was also told working in government is the way to go after graduating.

I'm open to any market. Chicago would be great but I'm not going to be picky. My main concern is landing a good job.

Vanderbilt

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I think it depends how rich your parents and how you feel about them paying 80k.

I think if you were taking out all the debt that WUSTL would be the winner. It's much less likely to get you your career goals, but 160k is way too much to spend for Vandy.

However, since your parents are willing to halve your costs, I think Vandy is the winner since it is much more likely to get you your goals and 80k is a very reasonable price to pay for Vandy. That being said, your parents would be paying 80k and if they can't shoulder that very well then I would personally be wary of taking that much money from them.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Vanderbilt. You have ties to the South, which gives you better backup options if you fail to land NYC or Chicago biglaw, and the difference in cost is not as much of an issue if your parents are paying half. WUSTL really has no reputation outside some limited parts of the midwest, which would limit your options - especially if you don't have ties to those parts of the midwest.

Oftranch

Postby Oftranch » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 pm

I had the same decision to make except I am from Texas and want to work in Texas and had no problem picking Vandy over Wash U. Just curious what did you end up deciding?

darciewalker

Postby darciewalker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:14 pm

I chose Vanderbilt - see you next fall!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”